Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do you think and why?

ReputationRep:
    Don't see the Turks themselves being enthusiastic about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    With its poor record of civil rights, I don't see the nation as one that will adhere to EU laws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desideria)
    What do you think and why?
    No for all the obvious reasons that have been stated on the handful of threads already with this question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, for reasons which I explained in another thread.

The Turkish government supports Islamist rebels in Syria, while opposing the secular YPG. They have a poor relationship with their own Kurds as well as Syria's Kurds, shelling the YPG on occasion (which has taken a good stretch of the Turkey-Syria border from ISIS).

They don't treat journalists, activists and opposition groups very well. An opposition newspaper was recently taken over for no obvious reason after a court order for it to be taken over, after which the paper started putting out pro-government pieces. They have detained a number of journalists and activists under anti terror laws.

A country that is willing to support Islamists in Syria, has a flawed democracy and has problems with press freedom should not be allowed into the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Deffo not

Hope the Kurds teach them a lesson

ReputationRep:
    Not now, because I am not sure they are a fully functioning democracy, and I think there should be a pause on any new EU members to allow for reforms of the EU.

ReputationRep:
    who cares? the EU has already failed. allowing turkey to join would merely make a failed organisation even more of a failure.
    but allowing turkey to join would principally change nothing seeing as romania, bulgaria and poland have already set the precedent of undeserving states gaining entry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    who cares? the EU has already failed. allowing turkey to join would merely make a failed organisation even more of a failure.
    but allowing turkey to join would principally change nothing seeing as romania, bulgaria and poland have already set the precedent of undeserving states gaining entry
    The eu largely worked pre accession countries joining and that was simply because the countries in it were so similar.

There were niggles but nothing like the last dozen years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not.

This isn't a country of equal standing and has more in common with its neighbours to the south rather than to the north.

ReputationRep:
    No, they're not like us, it's an alien culture.

The EU has already failed. It's over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    And Albania currently in talks to join. What an absolute joke of a institution.

ReputationRep:
    It is about time England freed itself of both Europe and Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dozyrosie)
    It is about time England freed itself of both Europe and Britain.
    The only thing wrong with Britain is that it has 4 parliaments and the people of the Scottish and northern Irish Parliament don't see themselves as British first

If it were up to me if simply set Northern Ireland free, no referendum just hey you can be an independent country or join the republic.

Anyone who sees themselves as British can come and live in Britain if it's that important to you.

Again if it were up to me I would then remove the Welsh and Scottish parliaments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.