Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

should I do a second degree in classics? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing/have done classics at uni? Maybe you can give me some advice!

I already have a degree in humanities where a significant portion of my coursework focussed on classical subjects, but it was not specifically a degree in classics. I took an additional year's training in journalism, graduated last June and have been working since then but I'm not totally satisfied. I have often thought that I'd be most suited for a career in academia and had vague plans for taking a PhD eventually.

I've been looking at classics graduate degrees and could maybe get in to one somewhere, based on my previous studies, but a part of me feels I missed out by not having done an undergraduate degree in classics (which I wanted to do, but chose humanities instead as I thought it would be more practical - stupid of me).

So should I just go back and do classics from the beginning? Is that a terrible idea? Will I go crazy having to hang out with classmates younger than me for 3-4 years? Will I regret not just getting a job and earning money or will it be worth it to eventually get a career I'm more passionate about? Or should I just try to go straight into an MLitt or MPhil?

Thanks for reading!

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I would say that the decision as to whether to do another undergrad or to apply for a Masters depends on a few factors.

1) Would you be able to afford to do either? Another 3-4 years of education is expensive, especially if you don't qualify for any funding
    2) Would you want to spend another 3-4 years in education and end up with another BA? Would you rather use that time to gain a Masters, and start a PhD or a career somewhere?
    3) Are you able to apply for a Masters and study the things you want to with your current undergrad degree?

I don't think you would feel crazy having to hang our with younger people, the age difference is barely noticeable and a lot more people are waiting till they are slightly older to start university. I think it would be worth seeing if you can get onto a Masters course that enables you to study an area of Classics you're interested in, and then move onto the career you want. Particularly if you look at a taught Masters as opposed to a research one

ReputationRep:
    Sorry it took me so long to reply! Thanks a lot for your answer, it's been really helpful I'm currently waiting to hear back about a Masters, fingers crossed!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 9, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.