Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Stuck on this confusing buffer question! Q4eiii) from the f325(EEE) June 15 paper. Student adds 6.075g Mg to 1.00dm^3 of the buffer solution, calculate new Ph of buffer?. Previous info: Buffer solution contatins propanoic acid, C2H5COOH and propanoate ions. The concentrations are both 1.00 mol dm-3. Ka for C2H5COOH is 1.35*10^-3. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ss0)
    Stuck on this confusing buffer question! Q4eiii) from the f325(EEE) June 15 paper. Student adds 6.075g Mg to 1.00dm^3 of the buffer solution, calculate new Ph of buffer?. Previous info: Buffer solution contatins propanoic acid, C2H5COOH and propanoate ions. The concentrations are both 1.00 mol dm-3. Ka for C2H5COOH is 1.35*10^-3. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!
    pH = pKa + log([salt]/[acid])

So, find the concs and get the pKa from Ka (using -log_10).
    The salt is Mg(C2H5O)2. Find its conc. Consider the reaction equation for ratios.

Hopefully, that's a start.

ReputationRep:
    This paper is still secure, i.e. it should not be available to the public.

It really shouldn't be discussed.

ReputationRep:
    Oh thankyou, i'll try this method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ss0)
    I was wondering since our upcoming chemistry exams are coming up if people wanted to be part of a chemistry whatsapp revision group. I guessing most of us use whatsapp so I guess it will be more suitable for everyone then. If you are interested either pm me or responded to this message

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.