Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I can never "revise" properly: most of the time I end up procrastinating, watching TV, playing games etc.
    I don't really have the self-motivation that people would need to revise, in fact, I'm not even sure what I want to do in University and it'll be another year before I have to make these choices!
    Its become a bit of an issue ever since I started since AS, and I want some of your revision tips, opinions - if any - as this problem is really fatal and can turn my life right to a grinding halt.

EDIT: Sorry this sounds so cliché

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hecatonchires)
    So, I can never "revise" properly: most of the time I end up procrastinating, watching TV, playing games etc.
    I don't really have the self motivation that people would need to revise, in fact, I'm not even sure what I want to do in University and it'll be another year before I have to make these choices!
    Its become a bit of an issue ever since I started since AS, and I want some of your revision tips, opinions - if any - as this problem is really fatal and can turn my life right to a grinding halt.
    Well you're past the most difficult hurdle - accepting you need to revise and that you procrastinate too much.

The next hurdle is getting started, and the only way I can imagine persuading you, is by using truth, because everyone says "just get started" but I'll tell you about my own situation, breifly.

I've always been lazy, procrastinating, and generally not having a clue what I wanted to do. This went on through GCSE's (where I got just about average grades for my school - and it's a pretty poor school). At some point, I just finally decided to try my best and see what would happen. I started getting the best grades in my school, and skip a year or so, I have a Cambridge offer. Now, all I put that down to, is my own faith in myself. It's actually insane how much you can achieve if you genuinely try, and you'll never know until you give it a go I suggest picking your fav subject you do (even if you dislike them all, there's always a "best"), and just working on it for a few weeks. Write notes, number the notes, write a question for each note, use random number generators to randomly pick certain notes to test yourself on, then write new notes for the ones you get wrong. Do past papers, heck do all the past papers twice, because AS is all about practice, whereas GCSE was all about memory. You'll only find what you want to do later, once you've really dived deep into all your potential fields of interest. Revise them all well, and you may find you prefer some to others (only think about the content though, not how easy the revision is!). Then using that, google is your best friend. Once you have picked a career, it really helps with motivation. And you can only pick a career once you know your interests. I'm applying for a degree that I have 0 knowledge on, but just sounds awesome, and that was a last ditch resort as I didn't really enjoy my AS levels. Now I'm off a top uni, doing Computer Science, and looking up. All from some lazy kid at AS with no idea what he wants to do

One thing that would also help, is hearing people's failure stories, or at least recognising that every single adult wishes they tried harder at school, just ask them?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    xxx
    This was such a lovely response, thank you for being so kind to OP! :hugs: Congratulations, btw! Enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    This was such a lovely response, thank you for being so kind to OP! :hugs: Congratulations, btw! Enjoy it!
    No harm in a friendly paragraph, I would've appreciated the same at that point in my life Thank you! I shall, a lot of hard work has allowed for it, so I'm going to be taking full advantage of it, enjoying it as much as I can

ReputationRep:
    I think if you start paying interest in the subjects you do then you might actually enjoy revising without procrastinating. watching TV is fine as long as you study before or after TV and you finish what you have planned. therefore it may be helpful to plan.. you may use the TSR timetable, it helps. also do a SWOT ( Strengths Weaknesses Opportunities Threats) analysis, it may help you use your S and O while you work on your W and T.
    maybe if you find out which study method works best on you, studying becomes fun! I hope this helps
    and don't worry AS is hard for me as well... i'm just trying to keep up with it... a brave face on helps ;p

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes thinking about the future can motivate you, because of the idea you'll have your life together, just know that soooooo many people are feeling the same way but I guess just look at what you enjoy and try to find something enjoyable in the subjects that you do? I'm doing a unit on motivation right now at college and the main motivators are interesting work and the opportunity to advance. So maybe try and find something interesting in your work and focus on what you enjoy or why you chose those subjects and where it can get you to doing something you enjoy

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all the repsonses
    To Computersmaths, I will try doing past papers, because as for me, my "revision" is just reading out of a textbox and looking at my previous work.
    To nik_awe, It's like my concentration at 6th Form is 100% in all my lessons, but after I get home there's a internal switch inside of me where I'm just like I know what I'm doing, I don't need to look at it again. In GCSE, you might say I got super lucky and/or fluked so damn hard that, the only bad grade I came out with was my French, which was a C.
    To Tenisha, thanks for your advice on thinking of the future for the time being, I'm being stuck to earth, living in the present, not having a regard for the future :P But rest assured, I will change. Good luck to you and your studies in motivation!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.