The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men as well as the character and voice cluster from the anthology. Really hoping Gerald and Edna don't come up as a question for AIC,but I hope it goes ok :smile:
I've seen many people say they think that Sheila and Gerald will come up but they have both come up before. Sheila in 2011 and Gerald in 2012. Because it has been removed from AQA'S website do you think it'll still come up?
Original post by erosesme
what the heck would you write for carlson though, ive tried revising for him but ive found like nothing on the internet

Try Mr Salles on YouTube, he has some good videos on him. Just search around a bit on his channel
Original post by Thedaniellamary
I've seen many people say they think that Sheila and Gerald will come up but they have both come up before. Sheila in 2011 and Gerald in 2012. Because it has been removed from AQA'S website do you think it'll still come up?

Not sure... would also like to know????
Do you get given the texts in the exam?
What events are considered to be the most significant; arrival of choir, Simon's death, the ending perhaps?
Original post by ApleeEncore
Just to tell you all, Flag and Falling Leaves have never come on either tier.

Are you sure?
How would you revise for english?
also is there any predictions sunlight on the grass, the conflict cluster or OMAM
My mate's mum is an English teacher and she predicts:
Paper 1) Inspector Calls = Gerald; Of Mice and Men= Curley or Women in the novel.
Paper 2) For the relationship cluster= In Paris With You, Brothers or Nettles.

Any thoughts on this? much appreciated...
do you have any OMAN resources that i could use please- i'm aiming for A*s so some in depth analysis would be helpful!
Original post by MIST_123
If anyone wants Mr Bruff's A* Videos (10 In depth videos each 15-30 mins long), PM me! 6 Videos for English Language and 4 for English Literature (one covering each question in depth). Helped me get 2 A*s last year!

Also have AIC and OMAM recourses if anyone is interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blaze3211
What events are considered to be the most significant; arrival of choir, Simon's death, the ending perhaps?

Ralph and Piggy finding the conch, Jack breaking Piggy's glasses, the election of Ralph as chief, the splitting of the groups into two different tribes, Piggy's death, the island burning up at the end (as you mentioned), Jack first putting on the 'mask', Simon talking to the 'Lord of the Flies', the killing of Simon (before his death scene where he floats away with almost religious imagery)

And while not a 'significant event' I find a more overlooked quote to be:

'Pig.'
'We eat pig.'
'Piggy!'

This foreshadows Piggy's death as pigs on the island are killed, and it almost has creepy and cannibalistic undertones.

If you want any help with this book, let me know!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thatonepunkguy
Ralph finding the conch, Jack breaking Piggy's glasses, the election of Ralph as chief, the splitting of the groups into two different tribes, Piggy's death, the island burning up at the end (as you mentioned), Jack first putting on the 'mask', Simon talking to the 'Lord of the Flies', the killing of Simon (before his death scene where he floats away with almost religious imagery)

And while not a 'significant event' an overlooked quote I find is

'Pig.'
'We eat pig.'
'Piggy!'

This foreshadows Piggy's death as pigs on the island are killed, and it almost has creepy and cannibalistic tones.

If you want any help with this book, let me know!

Can you give these sorts of ideas, but for An Inspector Calls?
Original post by mayjunemayhem
How would you revise for english?
also is there any predictions sunlight on the grass, the conflict cluster or OMAM

hi
Also if you have a chance to talk about Roger in your Lord of the Flies question, do! Roger is a symbolic character for evil incarnate, in my opinion. While characters like Jack degenerate and get corrupted by power lust, Roger was already evil from the start. The character of Roger was originally held back by the rules and regulations of society, In Chapter 4, we see this in practice. Roger is throwing stones and aiming to miss, as he still feels 'the taboo of the old life' where he would be told of for doing something like this back home. The island allows Roger to release the evil inside of him, and he tends to cling to Jack as Jack allows him to carry out his sadistic tendencies and ends up literally sending boys to Roger to be tortured, who does so happily and takes a sick and perverse enjoyment in it.

Roger is honestly such an overlooked character! One of the central themes of Lord of the Flies is darkness being in all men's hearts, and Roger already has this the second he arrives on the island, the island is anarchistic and allows people to be themselves, releasing their evil and animalistic tendencies. Jack and Ralph degenerate, yes. Of course Jack is evil, but Roger is truly the symbol of evil in our novel.

It's Roger that murders piggy. Not Jack, not under the command of Jack. Roger kills Piggy just because he CAN. This directly parallels with him throwing stones to miss earlier in the novel.

Sorry, went on a bit of a waffle there. Roger's such an interesting character to talk about and it's a real shame we've never had a question about him!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DaarioNaharis
Can you give these sorts of ideas, but for An Inspector Calls?

I would, but I studied Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mockingbird. I can help you with general literature though, like how to go about answering the questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would, but I studied Lord Of the Flies and To Kill a Mockingbird. I can help you with general literature though, like how to go about answering the questions.

Thanks man, how about poetry? You know any of the relationship cluster and have analysed them?
Original post by DaarioNaharis
Thanks man, how about poetry? You know any of the relationship cluster and have analysed them?

I studied the Character and Voice cluster, but for a general idea on how to go about pulling apart a comparison, I could still send you this practice question I did yesterday?
I studied the Character and Voice cluster, but for a general idea on how to go about pulling apart a comparison, I could still send you this practice question I did yesterday?

That would help loads, cheers bro.
Anyone know of any videos about the crucible????
For AIC i think Old vs Young Generation will come up and im not sure if they will ask a question on a specific character this year, because its the last year they might ask you about the inspector final speech

For Of Mice and Men im confident that the characters are either Curley or Lennie and part b will be on either violence, death or the american dream

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending