The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

If Masculinity came up for OMAM what points would you make??
Reply 601
Hey guys, tommorrow i have AQA Romeo and Juliet Literature, do you guys have any predictions on what might come up?
Has anyone good any advice on how to set out your answer to extract question in OMAN? As in is there a certain layout you can follow (eg PEE) because my teacher hasn't really helped us in that sense.
Need help with Lord of the Flies!! Please! What question do you think the paper will have this year?
Guys just make sure you revise the main characters so if a weird theme comes up, you can always put something together :wink: I want this to be over now aaah
Original post by Ella_08
I reckon:
-the ending scene
- Candy's dog's death
- Curley's hand crushed

I can't think of anything else it would be

ah okay thank you :smile: I'll get to analysing these scenes :colondollar:

Original post by 11ahf

No clue, but the extract part usually has some obvious things to analyse, so I wouldn't worry about it!

My friend's convinced that it's going to be that passage with Aunt Clara and the giant rabbit, and then the part B question will be Lennie and the American Dream. I really hope it isn't that.

If the question's on masculinity as the original post suggests, then I'd guess it would be the first meeting with Curley or when his hand is crushed?

Perhaps the shooting of Candy's dog could be the extract, with themes of loneliness or relationships as part B?

But of course, it could be anything!:tongue:

oh dear, if your friend's predictions were true I'd literally give up right there and focus all my time on AIC :redface:
I'm hoping for the scene where his hand is crushed tbh but not masculinity for the main theme :biggrin: Brutality on the ranch was SO GOOD for last year's y11 :cry:
Original post by Eleanorking
Has anyone good any advice on how to set out your answer to extract question in OMAN? As in is there a certain layout you can follow (eg PEE) because my teacher hasn't really helped us in that sense.

Yeah it's PEE. Only talk about language in extract, not context
Anyone has crucible revision resources idk where to start :frown:
I don't know about OMAM but I'm doing AIC and i think there could be a question of Gerald and Sheila's relationship, Eric, Edna or the inspector if we're lucky...x

Is anyone doing Purple Hibiscus as their novel???
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone can give me 2/3 quotes for each characters and analsysis with key words in the quotation? For inspector calls/ Omam.

Just did one character and I'm struggling atm:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoshuaE
✱GCSE English Literature 2016 - Unit 1 and 2✱

Hey! The purpose of this thread is to be a directory for all things AQA English Lit. General discussion, revision help and the elusive predictions are all welcome.
Dates:

23rd May 2016 - Unit 1 (Exploring modern texts)

27th May 2016 - Unit 2 (Poetry across time) OR Unit 4

Resources

BBC Bitesize - English Literature (For those who don't do the OMAM and AIC)

An Inspector calls - the entire play (A particularly more contemporary version was released last year but is only available through purchase)

GCSE Pod (School subscription required)

Emmark's notes (near the end of the page)

*If you find any useful resources message me and I'll put them in*

To help introduce yourself fill the form below:

What novel, play and poetry cluster are you studying?

How are you preparing for the exam - do you feel confident for it?

Do you have any predictions for certain characters/themes?

21/05/2016: Unit 1 predictions
These are predictions of themes/characters that the majority believe may be tested this year - take them seriously but revise other areas of your play/novel
You may notice some are more detailed than others. The predictions below are what has been said on this thread for the past month or so, the more popular texts have more responses.

Of Mice and Men: shooting of Candy's dog (Carlson), Curley, American dream, Masculinity

Purple Hibiscus: violence

The crucible: Elizabeth Proctor, Rebecca Nurse

An Inspector calls: The Inspector, Sheila/Eric, Gerald, Young and Old

Lord of Flies: no responses found

Sunlight on the grass: ^

To kill a mocking bird: Aticus, attitudes to Maycomb

what could the questions for crucible be on rebecca nurse cos i swear she does hardly anything?
Original post by tashaaparsons
anyone have any clue about Lord of the Flies predicted question?

I'm not doing Lord of the flies, but my friends are convinced that it's going to be a question on setting or the beast.
Reply 612
Original post by pink.lemonade
If Masculinity came up for OMAM what points would you make??

I honestly hope it doesn't, because there are questions where there's so much more to say.
Probably:
- High heeled boots - how Curley wears them and Slim doesn't need to.
- How Slim is presented as the ultimate figure in masculinity and respected so much as a result - every major decision made in the book has Slim's advice, his hands are described as 'Godlike', etc.
- Curley's insecurities about being small and as a result picking fights with bigger men. As being tall is generally perceived as more masculine, it could show how much masculinity matters to him as he gets into fights just to prove he's better than them.
- Not sure, but possibly their obsession with the brothel?

Original post by Eleanorking

Saw someone post something really great in another board, but can no longer find the thread. The gist was:
Point
Evidence
Explain
Effect on the reader
Alternate interpretation
Link to context
Link to original question
I am studying Lord of the Flies and Of Mice and Men - highly recommend the Mr Bruff video series on Youtube. I'm also doing the Relationships Cluster from the Moon on the Tides anthology.

LOTF prediction: Could honestly be anything to do with a theme; e.g. the Beast, darkness, fire, the masks, or a character/relationship or even events.
OMAM Prediction: I don't think it'll be Curley's Wife or Silm because they've been chosen recently, but the shooting of Candy's dog would be an excellent extract as it links to so many ideas including the brutality of society, foreshadowing Lennie's death and the selfishness of the ranchmen.
Poetry Prediction: I doubt it will be Sister Maude as that was a nominated poem last year.

Preparation-wise, I'm currently mind-mapping key ideas/themes/events/characters for LOTF as I know OMAM back to front after a 5 hour controlled assessment! I have put post-it notes on key pages in both my books and will probably read through them again tonight or tomorrow morning before the exam. Look at past paper questions and see if you could structure an essay and think about how you'd answer that question. LOTF qs tend to be quite vague so you can expand well on those essays.

Exam-wise, I tend to use the PEE structure or extended PEEE as it's the most reliable form I use. I tend to go backwards and forwards between ideas and link them together using them to emphasise your main idea. We had a chief examiner workshop in March and he said examiners tend to look at your paragraph beginnings when they scan through your answer, so use plenty of discourse markers!
Original post by 11ahf
I honestly hope it doesn't, because there are questions where there's so much more to say.
Probably:
- High heeled boots - how Curley wears them and Slim doesn't need to.
- How Slim is presented as the ultimate figure in masculinity and respected so much as a result - every major decision made in the book has Slim's advice, his hands are described as 'Godlike', etc.
- Curley's insecurities about being small and as a result picking fights with bigger men. As being tall is generally perceived as more masculine, it could show how much masculinity matters to him as he gets into fights just to prove he's better than them.
- Not sure, but possibly their obsession with the brothel?

Masculinity also relates to the size of the men, as Slim is tall and does not have to work hard to be the ideal man, whereas Curley is short and has curly 'feminine' hair. You could also look at the contrasts between how the men on the ranch behave vs the behaviour of Curley's wife and the attitudes towards the mentioned women we never meet
Original post by Colonel Sanders
Literally, i'm doing the same exams as you guys, including Geography! Im trying to get all of Section B of Unit 1 done right now and then banging out AIC and OMAM all night and day! LOL! If you need any help for geography a edexcel, i found this youtube channel that has a bunch useful videos - here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/RiddlesdownGeog/playlists - there's also a extremely useful website, geobytesgcse.files.wordpress.com
Also, for monday's english literature exam, I'm thinking of just memorising the a* essays people have made on mr salles' channel - of course mainly the ones that are predicted to come up, i.e. Candy and Gerald.
Anyways good luck in your exams!

Try rephrasing the essay, I may or may not be doing the same thing and we cant all write exactly the same! I'm taking ideas from it but not copying it
Original post by RedPeacock
I am studying Lord of the Flies and Of Mice and Men - highly recommend the Mr Bruff video series on Youtube. I'm also doing the Relationships Cluster from the Moon on the Tides anthology.

LOTF prediction: Could honestly be anything to do with a theme; e.g. the Beast, darkness, fire, the masks, or a character/relationship or even events.
OMAM Prediction: I don't think it'll be Curley's Wife or Silm because they've been chosen recently, but the shooting of Candy's dog would be an excellent extract as it links to so many ideas including the brutality of society, foreshadowing Lennie's death and the selfishness of the ranchmen.
Poetry Prediction: I doubt it will be Sister Maude as that was a nominated poem last year.

Preparation-wise, I'm currently mind-mapping key ideas/themes/events/characters for LOTF as I know OMAM back to front after a 5 hour controlled assessment! I have put post-it notes on key pages in both my books and will probably read through them again tonight or tomorrow morning before the exam. Look at past paper questions and see if you could structure an essay and think about how you'd answer that question. LOTF qs tend to be quite vague so you can expand well on those essays.

Exam-wise, I tend to use the PEE structure or extended PEEE as it's the most reliable form I use. I tend to go backwards and forwards between ideas and link them together using them to emphasise your main idea. We had a chief examiner workshop in March and he said examiners tend to look at your paragraph beginnings when they scan through your answer, so use plenty of discourse markers!

I'm studying exactly the same as you, and from what i've heard from teachers in my school, online and other students, I reckon that LOTF may be about any of these- Jack, The Conch, Simon, or Setting. I also predict that for OMAM, the question is going to be about Candy, Crooks, or the use of animals (Mice, Candy's dog, Lennie's puppy). I reckon for the relationships cluster, it will be about In Paris With You or To His Coy Mistress, as they haven't been used in a while, but i'm really not that sure.
Original post by tessabella
What poems could they be compared with??

Medusa: Les Grandes Seigneurs, Ozymandias, Give (yes, seriously. I did a practice comparison for these haha), My Last Duchess, Singh Song

Give: Medusa, Singh Song, Les Grandes Seigneurs

Ruined Maid: Alison, Medusa
Original post by LexiMercer
Need help with Lord of the Flies!! Please! What question do you think the paper will have this year?

The beast, Roger, the island and the conch, I'm feeling.
Original post by munchjin
I'm studying Of Mice an Men and An Inspector Calls and for poetry I'm doing the relationships cluster.
I heard that it is likely that To His Coy Mistress or In Paris With You or Sister Maude will come up for poetry.

I really need predictions for OMAM and AIC. I'm not confident in all of English lit but the poetry is a little better than the novel and play and I got an A* in my coursework so it shouldn't be too bad.

Geezer, I reckon for Of Mice and Men, the fight scene will come up or the shooting of Candy's dog and the theme to analyse may be Ranch life and Relationship

Then for Inspector calls, The Inspector or Sheila may come up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending