Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmakeetley1234)
    Try rephrasing the essay, I may or may not be doing the same thing and we cant all write exactly the same! I'm taking ideas from it but not copying it
    lmao, guys the candy essay on mr salles was mine, lol.
    its okay its meant to be to help others as well as myself anyway, just build on the ideas in there I guess as I will be doing.
    Good luck!
    I swear if candy doesn't come up I'm finished though....

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much!! It seems many people aren't doing TWIB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At the start of the play Sheila is described to be "pleased with life" because at that point in time she still has capitalist views and so is blissfully ignorant. Being raised by Arthur and Sybil, she is shielded from the harsh realities of life very much like Capitalism is.
    Throughout the play, as Sheila becomes enlightened, her views change.
    Is this a good piece of analysis?

ReputationRep:
    hi, i'm freaking out about the exam tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone can help me with how to structure an answer for a Kindertransport question??? thank youuuu

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think a question on Morals could come up in AIC for example 'How does Priestly present ideas about morals in the play?'

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and 'Kindertransport'. To revise, I've just done lots of practice essays from the AQA website, and made notes on good quotes, character information, motifs and themes. For 'To Kill a Mockingbird', the themes of parenting and hypocrisy haven't come up, so maybe the extract will be from the Missionary teas or Mayella's questioning at the trial. For 'Kindertransport' though I have no idea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tangledinthemist)
    lmao, guys the candy essay on mr salles was mine, lol.
    its okay its meant to be to help others as well as myself anyway, just build on the ideas in there I guess as I will be doing.
    Good luck!
    I swear if candy doesn't come up I'm finished though....
    Ah i'm doing TKAM so its fine haha.
    Thanks, you too!

ReputationRep:
    In of mice and men ' nice fella' is repeated many times( for different characters), what's the significance ??

ReputationRep:
    For Kindertransport essay structure, using the PEAL method works really well - so Point, Evidence, Analysis, Link. So if the question is on the Ratcatcher, you might start with saying that he metamorphoses into other characters throughout the play, then give a quote about how he becomes Helga at the end: 'You were the Ratcatcher. Those were his eyes, his face.' Then analyse how the Ratcatcher is born from Eva's fears, and many of her fears arise from Helga's high expectations of Eva in England - how she expects her to keep her Jewish faith, family, etc. Therefore Helga becoming the Ratcatcher symbolises how Evelyn has shifted the blame for what happened to her from an imaginary form to a physical one. The link could then be how the Ratcatcher takes on other physical forms in other male figures of authority, and then start a whole new PEAL for that. I find that an introduction can be really brief: Diane Samuels uses the Ratcatcher as a physical and metaphorical symbol of Eva's fears throughout the play. Then a brief conclusion, which uses the question in it is all that is needed at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the pro)
    Yes, fingers crossed and praying for it to come up. It so easy to analyse , because you could write about the parallel relationship between Candy and his dog through foreshadowing, it has a cyclical structure, use of verbs and basically everything .Good luck!
    Yeah exactly!!! But how could you discuss candy in the ending scene? like george and lennie linking to candy and his dog?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! i kinda think Gerald will come up yet his the character i know the least, can someone give some key points and themes priestley uses to present Gerald

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    I don't know how they mark the essays and my teacher doesn't either, she just gives us a grade based on how good she thinks it is. Apparently examiners disagree, some may think an answer is an A while other's think it's a C. That's my main problem with English- it's level of subjectivity. Shame I can't take it next year because of the way my sixth form's option blocks work.
    Yeah that's what worries me. I'm really unsure what's A*-worthy because the teachers can mark so differently to examiners. Here's hoping the examiners still mark relatively generously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIST_123)
    If anyone wants Mr Bruff's A* Videos (10 In depth videos each 15-30 mins long), PM me! 6 Videos for GCSE English Language and 4 for English Literature (one covering each question in depth). Helped me get 2 A*s last year!

Also have AIC and OMAM recourses if anyone is interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Please could you send them to me that would be really helpful thanks

ReputationRep:
    So overall what is predicted for the:
    - Of Mice and Men
    -An Inspector Calls

If you could do that, it would be appreciated as this forum as helped me more than my English teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That_Guy1234)
    So overall what is predicted for the:
    - Of Mice and Men
    -An Inspector Calls

If you could do that, it would be appreciated as this forum as helped me more than my English teacher.
    Don't do OMAM but the character question in AIC is likely to be Gerald or Mrs Birling, or possibly (less likely) Sheila.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_08)
    Yeah exactly!!! But how could you discuss candy in the ending scene? like george and lennie linking to candy and his dog?
    Candy knows that his Dog should be killed because it's too old. It's too weak. George knows that Lennie cannot live in such a harsh world with his disability - this was at a time when people had little understanding of mental illness. He knows that he's going to keep causing trouble even though he doesn't mean to, and he knows that back then nobody would understand. His mental inability makes him weak. Both Candy's dog and Lennie are killed out of mercy, they have no place in such a ruthless society. You could say something about how Candy told George that he wishes he'd shot his own dog - because it's his duty as his friend/owner. So this foreshadowed George killing Lennie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlassyMarbles)
    Don't do OMAM but the character question in AIC is likely to be Gerald or Mrs Birling, or possibly (less likely) Sheila.
    Why not the inspector? He hasn't come up for five years.

ReputationRep:
    How are people revising for OMAM? I've done some character key quotes and analysis' but I feel like they would be useless as we are given an extract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_08)
    Like Candy was responsible for his dog, George is responsible for Lennie. When Candy says "I ain't outta let no stranger shoot my dog" links to George shooting Lennie as they were so close and Lennie only had George to rely on.

Does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gigge)
    Hey guys! i kinda think Gerald will come up yet his the character i know the least, can someone give some key points and themes priestley uses to present Gerald

Thanks!!
    Hey, I'll help (myself too because it's helping me memorise lol) I just have the quotes that I'm planning on using and the points. Hope it helps!

Reveals weaknesses in the patriarchal society "women of the town" "the girl" "econonomically" "make savings" "see her through until the end of the year" < maybe only to save his own conscience
    Little remorse "I don't come into this suicide business"
    Protect himself "Everything's all right now, Sheila." "Did we? Who says so?"
    Easy lifestyle "easy well-bred man about town" "about thirty"
    Egocentric/materialistic "Crofts limited is both better and older than birlings and company" or something like that. calls her "pretty" and "young" which makes it even worse that he exploited her.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.