Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gigge)
    Hey guys! i kinda think Gerald will come up yet his the character i know the least, can someone give some key points and themes priestley uses to present Gerald

Thanks!!
    He is the play's example of a member of the upper class. Stage directions say that he's 'well bred'. He cheats on Sheila and agrees with Birling's views about responsibility. By presenting Gerald in this way, Priestly is showing the bourgeoisie to be socially unaware and immoral people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink.lemonade)
    How are people revising for OMAM? I've done some character key quotes and analysis' but I feel like they would be useless as we are given an extract.
    The extracts are likely to be on the key events in the novel, so make sure you know what each key event is, where in the novel it is and why it's important. All the key events link to George and Lennie is some way so make sure you know that.

ReputationRep:
    How likely do you think it would be that Mrs Dubose comes up in TKAM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MA28613)
    Candy knows that his Dog should be killed because it's too old. It's too weak. George knows that Lennie cannot live in such a harsh world with his disability - this was at a time when people had little understanding of mental illness. He knows that he's going to keep causing trouble even though he doesn't mean to, and he knows that back then nobody would understand. His mental inability makes him weak. Both Candy's dog and Lennie are killed out of mercy, they have no place in such a ruthless society. You could say something about how Candy told George that he wishes he'd shot his own dog - because it's his duty as his friend/owner. So this foreshadowed George killing Lennie.
    (Original post by navjotkaurjohal)
    Like Candy was responsible for his dog, George is responsible for Lennie. When Candy says "I ain't outta let no stranger shoot my dog" links to George shooting Lennie as they were so close and Lennie only had George to rely on.

Does that make sense?

MA28613; thank you!!!! that's really perceptive and i really like your vocabulary. Good use of context too. I guess you could link Candy's social hierarchy and because of his low position, he didn't have the power/ ability to confront the men with agression and kill the dog himself. So yeah George learns from Candy's mistake.

navjotkaurjohal; thanku!!! I get it all now, thanks guys. Also thank you very much for the evidence, appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Modern Text: Purple Hibiscus
    Play: An Inspector Calls
    Poetry: Character & Voice

I haven't read Purple Hibiscus all the way through, we read it in class but I think I have a problem, i just cant sit down and read a book, it's just so boring, but ive read like chapter summaries and like the first 9 pages.

Love An Inspector calls tbh, i think i'd be alright

Poetry, I don't even know about poetry tbh. I'm gonna have to try and get better in the novel lit paper, than poetry because poetry is just a no no for me

ReputationRep:
    Have there been any questions on Dill yet for TKAM??

ReputationRep:
    My teachers think that Abigail might come up.... maybe Danforth?? Im not sure, but i hope not

ReputationRep:
    I do OMAM and An inspector calls for the texts and Place for poetry. I've revised context and attitude/themes for both OMAM and AIC, but what do you think the questions could be. Who could the character be for the OMAM passage or theme and same with AIC?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any predictions for OMAM and AIC?

Any predictions for the character and voice cluster would be appreciated too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenwichvillage)
    Anyone got any predictions for OMAM and AIC?

Any predictions for the character and voice cluster would be appreciated too!
    C&V: Give, The Ruined Maid and Medusa would be my predictions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_08)
    Yeah exactly!!! But how could you discuss candy in the ending scene? like george and lennie linking to candy and his dog?
    I would say that Lennie's death is significant through structure as Candy's dogs death also happened in the same way- therefore it was foreshadowed. Candy's dog was shot in the back of the head and so was Lennie. But apparently this scene already came up in a previous past appear- someone said so idk if it might come up now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatonepunkguy)
    C&V: Give, The Ruined Maid and Medusa would be my predictions!
    Ruined Maid was top of my list! good luck!

ReputationRep:
    How are people revising for OMAM? I've done some character key quotes and analysis' but I feel like they would be useless as we are given an extract.
    He came up in 2013

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlassyMarbles)
    He came up in 2013
    Who came up in 2013? I didn't mention anyone 🤔

ReputationRep:
    Who came up in 2013? I didn't mention anyone 🤔
    sorry wrong quote haha

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying of mice and men and An Inspector Calls, you suggested that gerald could come up as a topic of question for An inspector calls but what could a question on him as a character be about?
    Thankyou xx

ReputationRep:
    does it matter whether i start with omam or the play? can i do omam before the play?

ReputationRep:
    For poetry - Character & Voice the main predictions by the English department at my school are Give and The Ruined Maid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlassyMarbles)
    sorry wrong quote haha

I just have my structure to follow with my knowledge of themes for both plays , to get me through.

ReputationRep:
    Tips for the crucible please?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.