Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping for dreams so so much for OMAM, who's with me??

ReputationRep:
    Can i PM my essay to someone for marking? Unit 1 essay on OMAM and AIC...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a part b answer for Mockingbird I can look at? I'm worried about part b, but I'm fine for part a!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anygy)
    I'm so lost with section B.... Aren't both parts of Section B like full on essays!? That's like writing my Crucible essay from Section A but x2, and in the same amount of time as well.
    Yeah but you're given a passage for the first part of Section B so it makes it easier for you! The entire paper is worth 60 marks, Section A being worth 30 as well as Section B, so I imagine the marks for B are split if you have to write 2 essays (if that makes sense)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    Some predicted questions here done by my school. For AIC and OMAM. The OMAM one is quite picky but my teachers reckon that as it is the last year, the question could be about theme rather than character. Other OMAM predictions include nature and Curley.
    Hi ad4m. Thanks for the paper! For the OMAM extract question, what points would you choose to right about? I am finding it quite hard to come up with a couple of different ideas... :/ Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_08)
    Yes!!! My teacher has been practicing it as they think it could be likely to come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhavik_007)
    Can i PM my essay to someone for marking? Unit 1 essay on OMAM and AIC...
    Pm me of mice and men

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_08)
    Actually I'm a bit worried about dreams! :/ If a question on dreams did come up, what points would you include? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom1699)
    Yes!!! My teacher has been practicing it as they think it could be likely to come up.
    I hope it does. I would smile throughout the whole exam if they came up because it's the only theme i'm mildly sure about ;D

ReputationRep:
    I've been through all of the past papers including the 2011 papers- here is the possible scenes that I have narrowed down that can appear tomorrow:
    - Carlson- the first meeting
    - Curley- Fight with Lennie in the bunkhouse
    - Curley- the first meeting
    - Lennie's death
    - Candy, George and Lennie talking about the dream- (will link in nicely with part b of how the Amercian dream is presented in the novel)
    - The brush at the start
    - The brush at the end

Make sure you know the analysis for these scenes and you are practically guaranteed to get a good grade .

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing lord of the flies? What theme or character is expected to come up last year they repeated a question i doubt they'd repeat it again though.

For OMAM does anyone have anything on Carlson or Whit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11DB2006)
    Guys I am doing of mice and men and an inspector call. I know this is really stupid as the test is tomorrow but can someone please help me on how to structure my answers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What the other guy said, and also include alternative interpretations (2 different meanings/interpretations of the same quote).

And have a paragraph analysing the language.

Watch Mr Bruff, he helped me a lot last year.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please post an answer for the curley fight scene extract, I would really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph72602)
    Is anyone doing lord of the flies? What theme or character is expected to come up last year they repeated a question i doubt they'd repeat it again though.

For OMAM does anyone have anything on Carlson or Whit?
    Whit won't come up unless they do a theme related to him. but it won't be focused on him as he's not the main character.

Carlson is the typical ranch worker at the time and isolated like everyone else, so he doesn't understand friendship and relationships (like george and lennie), which is also why it's so easy for him to kill Candy's dog. At that time, only the fittest survive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeganMcAlister)
    Yeah but you're given a passage for the first part of Section B so it makes it easier for you! The entire paper is worth 60 marks, Section A being worth 30 as well as Section B, so I imagine the marks for B are split if you have to write 2 essays (if that makes sense)
    Oh ok, thank you so much that makes a lot more sense now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepsi Cola :))
    Actually I'm a bit worried about dreams! :/ If a question on dreams did come up, what points would you include? Thank you!
    Include all the dreams of all the characters!

Curley's Wife - being in the pictures
    George and Lennie - their dream of owning a ranch
    Curley - a boxer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepsi Cola :))
    Hi ad4m. Thanks for the paper! For the OMAM extract question, what points would you choose to right about? I am finding it quite hard to come up with a couple of different ideas... :/ Thank you in advance
    So you need to think about the dreams itself, the minimalistic scale and how this is what people lived on in the 1930s. You also need to talk about the shock of them that the dream is actually coming true, as a realist Slim wouldn't have believed it (Slim perhaps represents the realist personality of Steinbeck himself). 'Questioningly' for example or 'impressively', these abnormal words and how they are only uses in a positive light here. And then you could go on to explain the structure of the novel (how when something good happens something bad happens next (the fight scene for example)). 'Surrender' is another interesting word used to describe Whit's behaviour, suggesting perhaps that it is the only thing that is keeping him going. Or that the fact Tenner was a 'nice fella' means that his dream comes true. It is a very difficult question however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EriNatsume)
    I've been through all of the past papers including the 2011 papers- here is the possible scenes that I have narrowed down that can appear tomorrow:
    - Carlson- the first meeting
    - Curley- Fight with Lennie in the bunkhouse
    - Curley- the first meeting
    - Lennie's death
    - Candy, George and Lennie talking about the dream- (will link in nicely with part b of how the Amercian dream is presented in the novel)
    - The brush at the start
    - The brush at the end

Make sure you know the analysis for these scenes and you are practically guaranteed to get a good grade .
    They can always repeat, June 2014 had George and Lennie, and so did June 2013 (or close to it)

ReputationRep:
    What quotes could you use for the theme of American dream ( have a feeling this could come up)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrewTheExams)
    Whit won't come up unless they do a theme related to him. but it won't be focused on him as he's not the main character.

Carlson is the typical ranch worker at the time and isolated like everyone else, so he doesn't understand friendship and relationships (like george and lennie), which is also why it's so easy for him to kill Candy's dog. At that time, only the fittest survive.
    Okay thanks

So what theme would relate to whit then? I literally know nothing about him only found out about him recently

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 25, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.