Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread* watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrewTheExams)
    Well if he comes up then part (b) is probably going to be isolation or something related to the physically strongest surviving.

Part (a) you just pick out quotes and write stuff about them.
    Yeah true. If it were strengths would you talk about Curley, Slim, Carlson, maybe Crooks (becuase of his high level of intelligence)??? Thanku for the reassurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    Some predicted questions here done by my school. For AIC and OMAM. The OMAM one is quite picky but my teachers reckon that as it is the last year, the question could be about theme rather than character. Other OMAM predictions include nature and Curley.
    Those AIC questions are hard!
    What could you say for them??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_08)
    Yeah true. If it were strengths would you talk about Curley, Slim, Carlson, maybe Crooks (becuase of his high level of intelligence)??? Thanku for the reassurance
    Strengths as in what? Bit too vague.

ReputationRep:
    oh wow this thread takes me back to english gcse; I will never forget how stressed I was for this exam. The week before I got an E in a mock exam we did lol. Managed to get an A though,
    Now I'm doing English lit a-level it makes me miss this more than ever
    Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    Some predicted questions here done by my school. For AIC and OMAM. The OMAM one is quite picky but my teachers reckon that as it is the last year, the question could be about theme rather than character. Other OMAM predictions include nature and Curley.
    What on earth would you say about that OMAM passage about dreams???? im so stuck on that wow have you guys got anything?

ReputationRep:
    Strengths as in what? Bit too vague.
    Idk just in general, like your point about "the strongest surviving" or something like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stopthat)
    oh wow this thread takes me back to english gcse; I will never forget how stressed I was for this exam. The week before I got an E in a mock exam we did lol. Managed to get an A though,
    Now I'm doing English lit a-level it makes me miss this more than ever
    Good luck everyone!
    Thank you I'm so stressed

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I'm so stressed
    Don't be, if you've reviewed over all material you needed to you should be just fine.
    GCSE English is honestly quite easy, its A-level English that is pure hell :/

ReputationRep:
    part a and b for section B is marked as a whole out of 30 marks, so you can do 2 pages on one part and 1 on the other and still get the same mark, just make sure you cover enough for each.
    Ah ok, thank you will I still have to write separate introductions and conclusions for both parts though? That's such a bother...

ReputationRep:
    Idk just in general, like your point about "the strongest surviving" or something like that
    Survival of the fittest, only the ones that are the strongest physically and mentally are able to survive.

Lennie has learning difficulties (so mentally disabled), which makes him act like a child, and he can be used and abused (like when George told him to jump somewhere or what ever he did it). He also needs a father figure like George, because without him he won't be able to survive (which you can see in the end - as he is kills Curley's Wife and is clueless alone).

Candy is old and handicapped, so he is disregarded by the other ranch workers as they view him as being useless because he is physically disabled.

Whereas, people like Carlson, they are physically fit (so, strong) and although he is isolated and does not understand what an relationship (like George and Lennie) is, he is not mentally ill like Lennie, which allows him to survive (as he is physically strong).

Obviously, there's other points but they kind of go off topic. Crooks (has a crooked back - but still can do jobs) - of course topic on racism here.
    Curley's wife - she causes trouble - also sexism topic
    Curley - son of boss - in charge - thinks he's big etc.
    and so on

ReputationRep:
    I'm so nervous for my english literature gcse exam tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Of mice and men, An inspector calls and character and voice and I've done almost no revision

ReputationRep:
    what about unit 4, any predictions Romeo and Juliet and Animal farms ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stopthat)
    Don't be, if you've reviewed over all material you needed to you should be just fine.
    GCSE English is honestly quite easy, its A-level English that is pure hell :/
    I sort of have but you just can't predict it and I'm bad at adapting! lol. And yeah I can't even imagine what it's like, thank the lord I'm not doing it at A Level then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anygy)
    Ah ok, thank you will I still have to write separate introductions and conclusions for both parts though? That's such a bother...
    DO NOT WRITE ANY INTRODUCTIONS OR CONCLUSIONS FOR SECTION B / OF MICE AND MEN

they gain no marks. Only write an Introduction for Section A (can't remember if conclusion is needed - but I don't think I wrote one last year and I got like 30/30 on it)

Just go straight for the analysis, which is what the question is asking you to do.

ReputationRep:
    Like i done a practise question for kindertransport and I'm going over of mice and men quotes but I hope the question isn't worded in a really complicated way

ReputationRep:
    For section B of mice and men, I am so confused how to answer it I get how to respond to the passage but the context bit confuses me. Somebody hellpppppp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma Keetley)
    Those AIC questions are hard!
    What could you say for them??
    Q17: The fact that Gerald holds power over the senior Birlings due to the fact that the marriage appeals to Mr Birling as a business decision etc. Also his relationship with Sheila and Eric.

Q18: Time theories of Ouspensky and Dunne. Dramatic Irony used (titanic, war), Priestleys use of the ending.

Just some ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neethumanoj)
    what about unit 2 ?? romeo and juliet and animal farms ??
    Unit 4 you mean? There are two English Lit routes with AQA:

Route A: Unit 1 (OMAM AIC etc.) Unit 2 (Poetry cluster) Unit 3 (CW on Shakespeare)
    Route B: Unit 1 (OMAM AIC etc.) Unit 4 (Shakespeare, Animal Farm etc) Unit 5 (Coursework on Poetry).

Both Unit 2 and 4 are assessed on Friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caseyforbes11)
    For section B of mice and men, I am so confused how to answer it I get how to respond to the passage but the context bit confuses me. Somebody hellpppppp
    Nothing hard.

E.g. if it's Racism, you speak about how at the time in America people were racist, how black vs white were treated etc. You write about how Steinbeck uses the charatcter (in this case Crooks) to show how people were racist - of course have some quotes, and analyse the quote like you normally would do - with effect on the reader.

I would also advise you to do alternative interpretations of a quote (especially for Section A of exam, maybe not so much for section B), so 2 different meanings of the same quote / interpretations and explain it. Also have a paragraph on the language that is used.

Watch Mr Bruff's videos on YouTube on how ot strucutre A* answers and watch his analysis on some characters and the novel in general.

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 25, 2017
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.