Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrewTheExams)
    Nothing hard.

E.g. if it's Racism, you speak about how at the time in America people were racist, how black vs white were treated etc. You write about how Steinbeck uses the charatcter (in this case Crooks) to show how people were racist - of course have some quotes, and analyse the quote like you normally would do - with effect on the reader.

I would also advise you to do alternative interpretations of a quote (especially for Section A of exam, maybe not so much for section B), so 2 different meanings of the same quote / interpretations and explain it. Also have a paragraph on the language that is used.

Watch Mr Bruff's videos on YouTube on how ot strucutre A* answers and watch his analysis on some characters and the novel in general.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! Very helpful!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caseyforbes11)
    Thank you so much! Very helpful!!!
    Also, alternative interpretations are pretty much needed for an A* in poetry, which I managed to get by 1 mark . Be unique and creative. But from what I saw Unit 1 is marked more leniently and it's easier to get full marks.

Also, Mr Bruff all the way!

ReputationRep:
    Some key quotes to remeber
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Important Quotes Flashcards.docx (32.4 KB, 176 views)

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing Romeo and Juliet?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if Abigail Williams has already come up (The Crucible)?
    Also, what could you say about Rebecca Nurse???

ReputationRep:
    is it okay if i answer part a and part b together in of mice and men? it saves time. also do i have to do a conclusion? How long should i spend on it? someone please answer im panicking and i need a*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elaine the pain)
    Does anyone know if Abigail Williams has already come up (The Crucible)?
    Also, what could you say about Rebecca Nurse???
    Elaine the pain ONG Tracy beaker is my childhood.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could someone look at this part B I wrote for TKAM?

b) After this passage, Mr Dolphus Raymond talks about “the hell white people give coloured folks”. In the rest of the novel, how does Lee show white people giving the black community“hell”?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Dolphus Raymond mentions how white people give the black community ‘hell’. One of the ways this is done is through the usage of calling where black people live the ‘quarters.’ This links to the idea that people in Maycomb view black people as inferior to them and a ‘quarter’ is something that is not whole, suggesting that black people are not fully people due to the colour of their skin. Furthermore, the quarters are just past the Ewell’s residence, behind the city dump. This shows that the black community are considered to be even more filthy than the Ewell’s and that they are considered even lower down in social class then them. It is these social attitudes that Maycomb upholds that perpetuate giving the black community ‘hell’ and these ideas are significant as they link to 1930s racism and segregation, via Jim Crow laws. Black people were to live separately from white people and were not to share facilities, this idea is used here with the black community being forced to live in a place considered even worse than the dump where Maycomb scum the Ewell’s live, reinforcing just how much hell they are given via them being forced to live in the worst place in Maycomb and that they are looked upon as people who aren’t 100% human and the fact they are considered even worse than the Ewell’s, all due to the colour of their skin.

A more subtle way we see this idea is through the treatment of the First Purchase African M.E. church by the white community. 'Negros worshipped in it on Sundays and white men gambled in it on weekdays.' This highlights to the reader just how little white people care about the black community. They dislike them so much and have so little regard for them that they will use the black church for gambling. Gambling is frowned upon in Christianity, and they wouldn't dare gamble in their own churches so this shows just how deep their disregard is for the black community by not treating their sacred place the same way they do. It's as if the white community doesn't see it related to God at all, despite it being the same God. The white community don't want to link their idea of religion to the black community's and refuse to admit that they are related, showing the deep rooted prejudice in Maycomb. This would link to the idea that in the 1930s, people in the South would have been deeply religious. Similarly to how in Maycomb, nobody would dare gamble in their own church, the same principals would be applied to actual 1930s America. This shows us in a more subtle way the 'hell' black people receive when not even their place of worship can be treated with a shred of dignity or respect.

Finally, we see the black community receiving hell from white people through Tom Robinson being convicted as guilty, despite the overwhelming evidence that he is innocent. We see this idea presented through the verdict not just being guilty but ‘guilty... guilty.... guilty.... guilty....’. This repetition and fixation on the word guilty shows just how doomed Tom Robinson is, and that he has no chance of surviving. Raping a white woman as a black man would get him killed, instantly. By forcing emphasis on this word, it really rubs in just how much hell Tom Robinson has been through and now he is being condemned to death. This is because in the 1930s, a jury was made up of all white males and the word of a white person would always be taken over a black persons, no matter how innocent they are proven to be. Tom Robinson cannot be freed, due to the deep set prejudice of Maycomb and it’s failing legal system. This idea is continued later on in the novel with 'Tom was a dead man the minute Mayella Ewell opened her mouth and screamed'. This shows the reader that before the trial even occurred, Tom Robinson would inevitably be sentenced to death no matter what, proving the extreme hell they are given through the deep rooted racism and once more, the broken legal system. Again, this would be because of the all white jury. This is the ultimate way of showing just the extent of hell white people give the black community.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabrina235)
    is it okay if i answer part a and part b together in of mice and men? it saves time. also do i have to do a conclusion? How long should i spend on it? someone please answer im panicking and i need a*
    I've done Part A and Part B together in every essay I've done and got As and A*s. It really doesn't matter because they are marked together anyway. Just label in the margin that its your answer to A and B to make it easier for the examiner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    I've done Part A and Part B together in every essay I've done and got As and A*s. It really doesn't matter because they are marked together anyway. Just label in the margin that its your answer to A and B to make it easier for the examiner.
    Did you just do like 3 paragraphs on section a and then the same for B or were they like mixed together or???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any last minute revision tips for the exam tomorrow?

Doing TKAMB and The Crucible and feeling very unprepared on both of them!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueribbons99)
    Did you just do like 3 paragraphs on section a and then the same for B or were they like mixed together or???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I embedded pieces from both parts of the question into one paragraph. Hence linking both parts and furthering analysis and getting to the higher marking band.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    I embedded pieces from both parts of the question into one paragraph. Hence linking both parts and furthering analysis and getting to the higher marking band.
    Okay thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For Lord of the Flies I believe that the importance of Jack may come up. Additionally, the question which asks about two places on the island has already been asked twice; however they have never asked a question about the island as a whole. This may come up.

ReputationRep:
    IS ANYONE DOING KINDERTRANSPORT??
    If yes, HELPPPPPP!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good points for Carlson?? I feel really prepared for all other characters but just saw that he is the predicted?!

ReputationRep:
    can anyone give me quotes in which i can use for tomorrow please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    Some predicted questions here done by my school. For AIC and OMAM. The OMAM one is quite picky but my teachers reckon that as it is the last year, the question could be about theme rather than character. Other OMAM predictions include nature and Curley.
    They actually think that'll be the paper? Where'd you get that is it a past paper or what?

ReputationRep:
    What is everyones timing for each essay i do purple hibiscus part a then b then Dna essay so 25 min writing and 5 min plan for each?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlievanest)
    Does anyone have any good points for Carlson?? I feel really prepared for all other characters but just saw that he is the predicted?!
    He's like the other ranch workers - isolated - and doesn't understand relationships and friendships (like George and Lennie), which is why he easily kills Candy's dog without sympathy for the dog or Candy as he doesn't understand their relationship (as he probably never had one - and its rare for migrant farm workers to travel together, like George and Lennie, as a lot of jobs are taken because of the Great Depression, so most of times only 1 of the 2 workers will get the job, making it harder).

It it also at a time where the fittest survive, and although Carlson may not be that intelligent, he is physically fit (and strong), and not mentally ill (like Lennie), which allows him to survive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.