The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hhannah_b
You should be fine. My friend analysed three but as long as you've got detailed, strong points with good interpretations you should be fine :smile:

Ahh thank you :redface: I sure hope so!!!
Wait, which exams did everyone do today? I had OMAM and unseen poetry today. I have Heroes and AIC on Friday
I found the aic questions horrible, picked the wrong one :frown:
Original post by xy_
How much did you write for AIC and OMAM? I wrote about 5 sides for AIC but then only about 2 sides OMAM (both questions) and my hand writing it fairly large - especially when I rush. What contextual points did you include for OMAM?

For the OMAM context question I wrote about Candy and Curley's wife, I ran out of time and only wrote 2 paragraphs on Candy and one for Curley's wife though.
For Candy I wrote about how a worker's status in 1930's America was based on how efficient their work was on the ranch so because he has an injury his status has been taken away from him and now George and Lennie's dream is the only thing he has. I also wrote about how he is already low in the social hierarchy and represents the forgotten generation of elderly people so the only person he can take his anger out is on the dead body of Curley's wife when his dream is destroyed.
For Curley's wife I wrote that although women were given the vote in 1920's America (thank you gcse history) they still faced discrimination and ill-treatment and the Great Depression resulted in cinema declining in growth so being a woman with a big dream meant that her dream to be in the movies was unattainable :smile: xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cameron Mee
How did you all find the unseen poetry? I literally can't find the 'In Cardigan Market' poem anywhere on the Internet.

Which exam board?
I think that I have failed :smile:
BTW what are the chances of me failing is it hard to fail?
Original post by xy_
How much did you write for AIC and OMAM? I wrote about 5 sides for AIC but then only about 2 sides OMAM (both questions) and my hand writing it fairly large - especially when I rush. What contextual points did you include for OMAM?

For AIC I wrote 3 1/2 pages (handwriting is small), for OMAM part A I wrote 1 1/2 pages and 2 1/2 pages for part B.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have any ideas what might come up for the Character and Voice cluster? I'm hoping something that goes well with Ozymandias. Love this poem :tongue:
Original post by AKDbbb
Which exam board?

WJEC
Original post by Undec
I think that I have failed :smile:
BTW what are the chances of me failing is it hard to fail?

I think you've done fine. Failing, as in below a C, would mean you'd have to get under 30 marks which is less than ONE of the essays :biggrin:
hi guys im a year 12 student. how was the exam? What was the questions for of mice and men and an inspector calls? remember doing this last year haha
For the dream question I wrote about Curleys Wife wanting Hollywood and the in the second paragraph I wrote George and Lennies Dream as a whole as they both want the Ranch etc. Is this wrong as I misread question and realised after that you only can talk about 2 characters???!!
Original post by Anygy
I think you've done fine. Failing, as in below a C, would mean you'd have to get under 30 marks which is less than ONE of the essays :biggrin:

Thing is English as a subject is just not my forte. Also under pressure I just stop thinking properly and waffle. I was predicted an A but then closer towards the exam all my essays have been graded low B's and high C's.
I really hope that I manage to get a B overall.
did you have to talk about george and lennie abd then two other people or could you just talk about two others?
Reply 1014
Original post by Cakes717
For the dream question I wrote about Curleys Wife wanting Hollywood and the in the second paragraph I wrote George and Lennies Dream as a whole as they both want the Ranch etc. Is this wrong as I misread question and realised after that you only can talk about 2 characters???!!

Since George and Lennie share a dream, I don't think they really count as two, so I think it's fine!

Also, everyone saying they forgot a conclusion/introduction - you can get full marks without them, they are only worth anything if you include something insightful in them, so an introductory sentence isn't really worth anything. :tongue:
Original post by ScrewTheExams
part a and b for of mice and men is marked as a whole. you can do 2 pages for part a and 1 for the other, and still get the mark

I didn't know that, thank you!
Original post by Undec
Thing is English as a subject is just not my forte. Also under pressure I just stop thinking properly and waffle. I was predicted an A but then closer towards the exam all my essays have been graded low B's and high C's.
I really hope that I manage to get a B overall.

Ah, I get you. Tbh I don't know how they expect us to write true quality stuff under so much time pressure? 1hr 30 mins hardly seems enough....

I hope you get what you want! Who knows, I have a history of getting bad grades in mocks and stuff but usually my exam results surprise me :wink:
Was Crooks a viable character talk about in part (b) because I did, but mostly abot how he doesnt have a dream due to the brutal society so that doesn't really fit with the question...uh oh!
Original post by Cakes717

Don't worry I'm sure you'll be fine, my friend also did George and Lennie as a whole, along with Crooks x
Original post by Anygy
Ah, I get you. Tbh I don't know how they expect us to write true quality stuff under so much time pressure? 1hr 30 mins hardly seems enough....

I hope you get what you want! Who knows, I have a history of getting bad grades in mocks and stuff but usually my exam results surprise me :wink:

I spent 11 minutes on Of Mice And Men section last year and got a high A, almost an A* in the unit 1 exam. I guess my Inspector Calls must have been 30/30, but I still don't know how I got higher than 10 marks on OMAN.

Maybe if they gave us more time I could have done better...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest