Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did the 'AIC' Gerald and Shiela question which I thought was horrible!! I did analyse quite a bit but just low level analysis! And got nothing in about Priestley's dramatic devices or anything like that. And I also did the TKAM extract and essay questions. Thought my extract went really well but I ran out of time to write about context on the essay bit so ended up crying on my way out😂 Panicking that an A* is now out of reach...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_08)
    For OMAM what did everyone say about the extract?
    I said some random thing loool:
    I talked about the broken dialogue which is littered with ellipses and the use of George constantly at the beginning if sentences - the broken dialogue reflect s the broken relationship and dream while the use of George reminds the reader that he is going to be alone

Use of sounds - ever nearer sounds add tension to the novel and link to the initial chapter where the sound were distant. Reminds the reader destiny is inescapable

Physical appearance of the passage- beginnings as a paragraph and then transforms into single lines- again emphasizes the gradual destruction of the dream in combination with gradual end of Lennie's life

The shadow was blue- connotations with gloom and sadness while the shadow contrasts to the golden light in the first chapter- hope is personified as escaping the valley as Lennie's death brings darkness
    Hopefully these are ok lool please tell me what u think !
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As long as it was in detail. That is an amazing point
    Aha thanks, idk because I had to rush OMAM as I stayed on section A for about 55 minutes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anygy)
    That's really amazing... I wish I could work so well within the time frame I'm in a pit of regret right now. Considering I misread the first question, probably got around 15marks. And then I only got through like half of section B with terrible SPaG (I cannot do ANYTHING in just 10 minutes) so maybe I got like 15 marks too.

Ughh..
    I misread part (a) for OMAN too, so don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    What was the exact question for part B of OMAM? I think I've done it wrong, I wrote about Curley's Wife and Candy then added 3 sentences about Crooks at the end!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leopard923)
    I talked about the broken dialogue which is littered with ellipses and the use of George constantly at the beginning if sentences - the broken dialogue reflect s the broken relationship and dream while the use of George reminds the reader that he is going to be alone

Use of sounds - ever nearer sounds add tension to the novel and link to the initial chapter where the sound were distant. Reminds the reader destiny is inescapable

Physical appearance of the passage- beginnings as a paragraph and then transforms into single lines- again emphasizes the gradual destruction of the dream in combination with gradual end of Lennie's life

The shadow was blue- connotations with gloom and sadness while the shadow contrasts to the golden light in the first chapter- hope is personified as escaping the valley as Lennie's death brings darkness
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, I did something very similar. What are you predicted in English Lit ?

ReputationRep:
    I failed the OMAM part I said that the voices, although were probably Carlson and Curley, was his conscience! argh I just want to crawl into a hole and i have geography tomorrow!! Noooooooooooooo

ReputationRep:
    Just posting what I wrote in the other thread lol:

For AIC, I did Sheila and Gerald's relationship. The main points I discussed were it being more of a business deal, Sheila's suspicions about Gerald, her attitudes towards women being expected to tolerate their husbands cheating on them, and I discussed her last line and what it meant for the future of their relationship. I think I should've included more about the actual breakdown of the relationship when she finds out about Gerald's affair, and put points 2 and 3 together. I'm also slightly worried I strayed to much from their overall relationship and focused too much on Gerald individually, but idk.

I hated the OMaM passage, I ran over with AIC so I skimmed reading it and only picked out a few points - the cyclical structure, and the inevitability of Lennie's death (which I linked to the shooting of Candy's dog, and I'm really worried I strayed too much from the passage and wrote too much referencing the wider novel). I absolutely hated it ugh, I did hardly any revision for section 6, I know it hasn't come up before, but I assumed it would be something from section 3 (I mostly revised Candy and his dog and the Curley/Lennie fight) because Lennie came up last year with Curley's Wife, and I think the year before that was Lennie and George. I was super happy with part B though, I wrote about Crooks and Candy and linked them to marginalisation in society and how this meant they were fated to fail at achieving their dreams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaddieEdgoose)
    What was the exact question for part B of OMAM? I think I've done it wrong, I wrote about Curley's Wife and Candy then added 3 sentences about Crooks at the end!
    I literally did the exact same thing in the exact same order!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatonepunkguy)
    How did you guys find Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mockingbird? I felt like I waffled about Jack a little bit too much and ended up rushing my TKAM conclusion about Calpurnia a little. (the question was about attitudes to black people so I brought Cal up but didn't get a chance to bring in 1930s context.)

That said I couldn't of asked for a better Part B question for Mockingbird! The whole book's about racism and given more time, I would of wrote even more events, and I already wrote 4 paragraphs!

Shame Roger didn't come up for LOTF but I wrote lots of complicated points about Jack and he's a very fun character to pull apart IMO. A little annoyed because after the exam I realized I made a typo with caesura, I said cejura! (I was analyzing the use of the caesura in a Jack quote). I think my analysis will make up for it and I'm pretty sure that was my only typo. Somehow I typed disapprobation right in my essay, but not caesura. I have no clue.

I waffled on about Jack as well, to the point where I didn't get a chance to analyse some quotes in the last few chapters and I just had to say my points.

Part B, I talked about the attitudes shown in the court case and the links to Tom and the Grey Ghost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leopard923)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think they're great you should be really proud of yourself for getting all those down. My favourite is the dialogue point and I love the blue thing, that is actually so good! Definitely agree with it.

Do you mind reading some of my points. (I can't remember exactly what I put)

Sibilance (can't remember quote) something like "spine and skull" creates suspicion and that George has pre-mediated the death of lennie.

Repitition - the "rabbits" Shows how George and Lennie are connected and interlinked. George wants Lennie to think about something he loves and he emphasises the American Dream the moment b4 he dies.

Short sentences - George's lack of enthusiasm for having to kill lennie and the fact that he's disengaged and doesn't want to kill him. like it's causing him so much pain

Semantic field of heaven or hell - "the place". Ambigious language. Maybe creates introduces theme of christianity and if lennie will go to hell or heaven (he commited a sin by killing CW).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamtoo)
    Aha thanks, idk because I had to rush OMAM as I stayed on section A for about 55 minutes
    Just be glad you started it, i'm sure some people wouldn't even attempt it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy-22)
    I waffled on about Jack as well, to the point where I didn't get a chance to analyse some quotes in the last few chapters and I just had to say my points.

Part B, I talked about the attitudes shown in the court case and the links to Tom and the Grey Ghost
    I talked about the attitudes of Mrs Dubose ("your fathers no better than the n*****s and trash he works for was a quote I analyzed), how white men gamble in the black church, how Atticus treats the black community different to the rest of Maycomb and it's this that makes him stand out as a person in Maycomb and then I briefly wrote a paragraph on Calpurnia taking the children to church and how Lula asks why she's bringing white children to their church.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taylorbr11)
    Same, I did something very similar. What are you predicted in English Lit ?
    A* wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mizz.Unicorn)
    I failed the OMAM part I said that the voices, although were probably Carlson and Curley, was his conscience! argh I just want to crawl into a hole and i have geography tomorrow!! Noooooooooooooo
    It's ok, you don't have to talk about his conscience. The point you made isn't wrong, don't worry. I have geography tomorrow too what course do you do? I do AQA B

ReputationRep:
    I think they're great you should be really proud of yourself for getting all those down. My favourite is the dialogue point and I love the blue thing, that is actually so good! Definitely agree with it.

Do you mind reading some of my points. (I can't remember exactly what I put)

Sibilance (can't remember quote) something like "spine and skull" creates suspicion and that George has pre-mediated the death of lennie.

Repitition - the "rabbits" Shows how George and Lennie are connected and interlinked. George wants Lennie to think about something he loves and he emphasises the American Dream the moment b4 he dies.

Short sentences - George's lack of enthusiasm for having to kill lennie and the fact that he's disengaged and doesn't want to kill him. like it's causing him so much pain

Semantic field of heaven or hell - "the place". Ambigious language. Maybe creates introduces theme of christianity and if lennie will go to hell or heaven (he commited a sin by killing CW).

Thanks
    I really like the religious point! Because its an important thing in the novella so well done for including that the sibilance point is really original as well - really good overall u should be proud and thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatonepunkguy)
    I talked about the attitudes of Mrs Dubose ("your fathers no better than the n*****s and trash he works for was a quote I analyzed), how white men gamble in the black church, how Atticus treats the black community different to the rest of Maycomb and it's this that makes him stand out as a person in Maycomb and then I briefly wrote a paragraph on Calpurnia taking the children to church and how Lula asks why she's bringing white children to their church.

Jesus, that's a lot for Part B! Some really good points as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy-22)
    Jesus, that's a lot for Part B! Some really good points as well!
    Hah, thanks. I didn't get to talk about Cal in as much detail as I'd hoped and only just got to finish my sentence in time (I only got very brief context of how bad it was for black people, esp black women in the 30s)

What did you talk about for Jack? I mentioned the idea of him being a 'little boy' and the quote where he says he 'doesn't want to play anymore', him swearing for the first time and the idea of him wanting lots of rules, then not wantign any (you probably know the quote I mean, hah) and him having a superiority complex ('Why should I be Jack? I'm Merridew.) For the quote they gave us I mentioned his red hair possibly being symbolic of evil and anger and his blue eyes being the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    Hey did anyone do the female presentation question for The Crucible? If so, how did you find it :eek::eek:
    I chose Abigail and Elizabeth but I didnt finish it... I did 2 developed points on Abigail but only a tiny paragraph on Elizabeth aghh I didnt know what to really say on her; reckon I'll lose any marks or be scrutinised for that?

I also did TKAM and I found the extract quite hard to talk about tbh, my points were quite basic in my opinion Part b) was also rushed too!

Lets just hope for the best!!

ReputationRep:
    OMG! I failed this exam soooooo bad! And i"m normally an A-A* student! :cry::confused: I predicted the question right as well for AIC which made it even more frustrating!!! x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.