Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leopard923)
    I really like the religious point! Because its an important thing in the novella so well done for including that the sibilance point is really original as well - really good overall u should be proud and thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! it makes me feel slightly more confident haha because part b was much more jumbled up and some of my points for part b were just really unorganised. I probably really pissed off the examiner with my scruffy handwriting What characters did you say for the AD?

ReputationRep:
    I am doing short stories, of mice and men and the conflict poems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lj42_m)
    I am doing short stories, of mice and men and the conflict poems
    OMG I'm doing exactly the same too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatonepunkguy)
    Hah, thanks. I didn't get to talk about Cal in as much detail as I'd hoped and only just got to finish my sentence in time (I only got very brief context of how bad it was for black people, esp black women in the 30s)

What did you talk about for Jack? I mentioned the idea of him being a 'little boy' and the quote where he says he 'doesn't want to play anymore', him swearing for the first time and the idea of him wanting lots of rules, then not wantign any (you probably know the quote I mean, hah) and him having a superiority complex ('Why should I be Jack? I'm Merridew.) For the quote they gave us I mentioned his red hair possibly being symbolic of evil and anger and his blue eyes being the opposite.

Where do I begin with Jack. I started by saying red hair almost gives him image of the devil, black cap uses colour imagery for evil, but blue eyes for good (very similar to you)

Then went to talk about him not being able to kill the pig that shows his innocence and goodness at that point, but how it begins to fuel and obsession which could begin to lead him on the road of becoming savagery

Then I talk about him and the mask. Half of his mask is red, again linking to the devil, there was the bloodthirsty snarling, linking him to animals and potentially the beast, but also here he begins to lose his civil side, with Golding using the word liberated to show how he's broken free of society

Then I went on to show how his evil continues, with him becoming a stain on darkness, showing he has become darker then darkness itself. I also talked about the quote "The answer came from the darkness" (or something like that) which almost dehumanises Jack, showing how he has become savage and has lost his identity, and how he's become at one with the darkness

Finally, I briefly talked about castle rock, showing his power, giving him King like status, and him being violent, disregarding the wellbeing of overs, almost like a dictator.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing the character and voice cluster for poetry? Any predictions on what questions/poems will come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaddieEdgoose)
    What was the exact question for part B of OMAM? I think I've done it wrong, I wrote about Curley's Wife and Candy then added 3 sentences about Crooks at the end!
    The question was about how does Steinbeck create the sense of hopes and dreams in the rest of the novel. It also mentioned that you should write about one or two characters dreams.

ReputationRep:
    If I get a B in this exam, would it be possible to get an overall A grade? Like, after I do the poetry exam?

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find that exam then?

Personally I was actually quite relieved at the questions; I expected much harder for it being the final year of OMAM. Before the exam, I was more worried for AIC as we literally only had 2 lessons for it (bar reading lessons), however I felt my answer for that question was pretty good. I did the question on the change in Gerald and Sheila's relationship. However OMAM seemed to spiral downhill, as I just didn't feel like I had enough time (Although i think I did have 45 minutes which was the advised time). I just couldn't seem to think of anything unique nor remotely intelligent for part A - I only seemed to just point out the obvious. Don't even get me started on Part B. Please. It was such an easy topic to write a ton on too! Grr. I'm hoping they choose good poems/themes for unit 2 on friday as Poetry is what I've been looking forward to.

I hope you all feel much more confident about me about your performance and good luck for Friday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_08)
    Thank you! it makes me feel slightly more confident haha because part b was much more jumbled up and some of my points for part b were just really unorganised. I probably really pissed off the examiner with my scruffy handwriting What characters did you say for the AD?
    Yeah same my part b wasn't so good lool I said George and curleys wife and then linked George to wanting freedom to go to a fair etc as shown by when he looks up to the stars the the beginning - I then linked it with how people at the time desperately wanted self sufficiency and how they hated the control they were under in farms etc
    Then for curleys wife I said the dream of Hollywood but we know straight away hers is unattainable as in Hollywood u have to make a name for urself but she has no name so it isnt happening lol. Also how ostrich feathers show she cannot fly and reach her dreams
    Gave a quick little para on how some just gave up on dreaming like crooks and then summed it up with the fact the american dream is a lie ad destructive :o:o hopefully they're ok
    Wbu? :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wrote about how throughout the of mice and men novel George continuously repeats Lennies dream to tend the rabbits in order to satisfy Lennie and keep him happy.The use of repetition indicats a build up of fustration within George. So his actions of killing Lennie are presented to the audience as a way of him satisfying himself and doing something that will make his life more happier. Also it takes a huge responsibility of George's back and he can live a life of freedom which is associated with the American Dream

ReputationRep:
    I don't know really know how to feel about that exam. I don't think i did 'terrible' but i know i didn't do 'awesome' either. Oh well no time to do dwell time to start geography revision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_1999)
    hi guys im a year 12 student. how was the exam? What was the questions for of mice and men and an inspector calls? remember doing this last year haha
    These are the higher tier btw.
    AIC:
    How does Priestley present the relationship of the characters Sheila and Gerald in the play?
    OR
    How does Priestley present the theme of conflict in An Inspector Calls?
    OMAM:
    The extract was the page up to Lennie's death.
    Part a: Explore how Steinbeck builds up tension before Lennie's death?
    Part b: It was a long question but in summary, How does Steinbeck present the ideas of hopes and dreams in the rest of the novel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leopard923)
    Yeah same my part b wasn't so good lool I said George and curleys wife and then linked George to wanting freedom to go to a fair etc as shown by when he looks up to the stars the the beginning - I then linked it with how people at the time desperately wanted self sufficiency and how they hated the control they were under in farms etc
    Then for curleys wife I said the dream of Hollywood but we know straight away hers is unattainable as in Hollywood u have to make a name for urself but she has no name so it is happening lol. Also how ostrich feathers show she cannot fly and reach her dreams
    Gave a quick little para on how some just gave up on dreaming like crooks and then summed it up with the fact the american dream is a lie ad destructive :o:o hopefully they're ok
    Wbu? :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I love the stars analysis.. .wow! I never knew that existed in the book. Seems like you got context in there as well which is important. For CW I think we have similar points like no name, ostrich feathers (phew). Really good, seems ok to me Didnt it just to say do 2 characters though and not three? If you only did a bit on crooks then it'll be fine. All my part b is further up in the thread(a few pages back when i replied to someone) And also for my conclusion i just talked about the impossibility of the ADream and maybe that steinbeck is questioning that validity of the AD like is it really about materials or is it more about love and friendship and freedom. I hope we both do well aha

ReputationRep:
    What percentage was that paper to the overall grade? And how much is the coursework worth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Belloso)
    What percentage was that paper to the overall grade? And how much is the coursework worth?
    All i know is coursework is 25%

ReputationRep:
    I love the stars analysis.. .wow! I never knew that existed in the book. Seems like you got context in there as well which is important. For CW I think we have similar points like no name, ostrich feathers (phew). Really good, seems ok to me Didnt it just to say do 2 characters though and not three? If you only did a bit on crooks then it'll be fine. All my part b is further up in the thread(a few pages back when i replied to someone) And also for my conclusion i just talked about the impossibility of the ADream and maybe that steinbeck is questioning that validity of the AD like is it really about materials or is it more about love and friendship and freedom. I hope we both do well aha
    Yeah I only wrote a sentence on crooks I'm glad we got the same points I'll have a read of urs then lol liking the rhetorical question! And yeah I hope so!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All i know is coursework is 25%
    coursework is 25%, poetry 30% and todays lit was 45%

ReputationRep:
    I did Candy and Curley's Wife too! For Curley's Wife I also talked about the vote but I didn't know when it was so I just said "women already had the vote, however bllah blah ..they were inferior still"

I said something like this for CW:
    She is the only character in the book that does not possess a name of her own but is referred to always as ‘Curley’s wife’, underlining that she has no status and therefore no rights of her own. To the other men, calling her "Curley's wife" might be a way of reminding themselves she belongs to Curley. It could be their warning sign to stay away and give her no attention because it could cause threat to their personal American dream.
    She is also presented wearing an “Ostrich feather” which, on the one hand, could infer she is purposefully drawing attention to her legs and wants the men to see her as a sex symbol. her shoes would have been extremely expensive in the times that Of mice and men was set; curley’s wife not only wears them on her feet but in the middle of the “dust bowl”. Women who performed on stage often wore exotic costumes and feathers so it could also hark back to her dream of performing. it was her dream to “be in the movies”. Steinbeck could also be symbolising her as being flightless and trapped with little choice within the boundaries of the ranch.

Then I talked about "heavily made up" and domestic violence. Also how she is presented in death. (her potential shines through)

For Candy I said something like:
    Candy is presented to show enthusiasm for George and Lennie’s American Dream. This can be evidence when Candy offers money within a day of knowing George and Lennie, which reflects his desperate desire to leave the ranch before he “gets the can”. “excitedly” “grinning with delight” child-like image provides a glimpse of the young boy that Candy once was. However, Curley’s Wife’s death destroyed Candy’s American dream. The pathetic fallacy of “darkening gradually” after Curley's Wife's death is suggestive of Candy’s slow, painful end - no hope. Candy’s persona “softly and hopelessly" - the adverbs create a sense of defeat mixed with helplessness. Despite him being opposed to what they're doing, he doesn't use the same violence as the rest of them. This juxtaposition highlights Candy's main weakness, as he lacks the aggression and brutality which ranch workers needed in order to fulfil their own goals/American Dreams.
    Please can someone tell me if this is alright? Thank you
    This is really good omg! Love how u linked the two characters together as well! Loads of quotes as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    that exam was alright, the questions were fine but i just HATE the time constrictions, i physically cannot write a sustained essay in 45 mins, if i had longer i would do so so so much better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glow123)
    coursework is 25%, poetry 30% and todays lit was 45%
    Ah right, makes sense. I like poetry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.