Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys do you think the grade boundaries for this exam will be higher or lower than last year's (53/68 = A*, 45/68 = A etc)? A lot of people are either saying that they found it great, whereas others are saying it went pretty badly - there seems to be 2 extremes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_08)
    Ah right, makes sense. I like poetry
    what cluster are you doing? Im doing character and voice and can't stand it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leopard923)
    This is really good omg! Love how u linked the two characters together as well! Loads of quotes as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank u My exam version wasn't as good tbh because it was really messy and I missed out some things. And oh yeah i never noticed (: english isn't my strong point though so the actual exam wasn't as fluent, but thanku!

ReputationRep:
    Whose doing the conflict cluster in poetry? What do you think will come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepsi Cola :))
    Hi guys do you think the grade boundaries for this exam will be higher or lower than last year's (53/68 = A*, 45/68 = A etc)? A lot of people are either saying that they found it great, whereas others are saying it went pretty badly - there seems to be 2 extremes!
    I think and hope that they are similar/lower than last year's. More people seem to be saying it was terrible than amazing I think

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone remember the exact question for part b on OMAM? Reading what people have written is making me feel that I read the question wrong due to how much of a rush I was in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glow123)
    what cluster are you doing? Im doing character and voice and can't stand it
    Conflict. I used to hate poetry because I failed in Year 10 but then somehow I managed to get an A* in my mock. God must have been happy the day i did that exam. and btw just as a tip make sure you know 3 bullet points for imagery, language and structure for every poem and you can't go far wrong. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any idea what could come up in the poetry questions in conflict???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_08)
    Conflict. I used to hate poetry because I failed in Year 10 but then somehow I managed to get an A* in my mock. God must have been happy the day i did that exam. and btw just as a tip make sure you know 3 bullet points for imagery, language and structure for every poem and you can't go far wrong. Good luck
    wow thats a great tip thank you so much.. never thought of structuring it that way!!!!!! thanks so much! yeah see I've literally just been stuck on a B+ for a year n I'm so sick of it ahahah literally just want to get up to an a/a* Again, thank you! Also, good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSElyfe)
    Whose doing the conflict cluster in poetry? What do you think will come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I heard that maybe futility and Belfast confetti

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Does anyone remember the exact question for part b on OMAM? Reading what people have written is making me feel that I read the question wrong due to how much of a rush I was in...
    It is along the lines of how does Steinbeck present dreams to the readers and how the society at the time makes it hard for people to get the dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glow123)
    wow thats a great tip thank you so much.. never thought of structuring it that way!!!!!! thanks so much! yeah see I've literally just been stuck on a B+ for a year n I'm so sick of it ahahah literally just want to get up to an a/a* Again, thank you! Also, good luck to you too
    It's ok, just something I learnt myself whilst revising (: I know how you feel, like a B is a good grade but i see you're aiming high. Another tip, sounds obvious but make sure you have good linking of the poems and when in doubt... write a lot! It's amazing how much you can write in 45 mins so yeah just try and get as much down. Thanks for the luck haah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy-22)
    Where do I begin with Jack. I started by saying red hair almost gives him image of the devil, black cap uses colour imagery for evil, but blue eyes for good (very similar to you)

Then went to talk about him not being able to kill the pig that shows his innocence and goodness at that point, but how it begins to fuel and obsession which could begin to lead him on the road of becoming savagery

Then I talk about him and the mask. Half of his mask is red, again linking to the devil, there was the bloodthirsty snarling, linking him to animals and potentially the beast, but also here he begins to lose his civil side, with Golding using the word liberated to show how he's broken free of society

Then I went on to show how his evil continues, with him becoming a stain on darkness, showing he has become darker then darkness itself. I also talked about the quote "The answer came from the darkness" (or something like that) which almost dehumanises Jack, showing how he has become savage and has lost his identity, and how he's become at one with the darkness

Finally, I briefly talked about castle rock, showing his power, giving him King like status, and him being violent, disregarding the wellbeing of overs, almost like a dictator.

Those are really good points! I'm annoyed I forgot to mention the mask in mine. But I brought up an interesting idea of Jack being an oxymoron: the idea of the little boy vs the vicious dictator. I also talked about when Jack says he doesn't want to play anymore, he runs away crying. Crying is a trait Jack has very openly mocked when others do it, possibly showing he's also a sensitive little kid just like them underneath.

He's such an interesting character to analyze!

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody do the conflict question? because i looked at that and completely avoided it!!! also what did people put for their part A i feel like mine became too elaborate

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I feel like so many people run out of time this year, is it just me? I started my OMAM part B about 10 mins before the end... never seen my handwriting change so much XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccaholland)
    Is anyone doing the character and voice cluster for poetry? Any predictions on what questions/poems will come up?
    I'm doing it

In the past 4 years (from 2012), the poems that have come up (to my knowledge) are The Clown Punk, Horse Whisperer, Singh Song!, Brendon Gallacher, Les Grands Seigneurs, My Last Duchess, The River God, The Hunchback in the Park, Casehistory: Alison (head injury) and On a Portrait of a Deaf Man.

Meaning that the poems they haven't used in a pretty long while (or at all, I'm not sure!) are Checking Out Me History, Medusa, Give, Ozymandias and The Ruined Maid.

I was surprised in todays unit 1 that they used a past question, so don't take my word for it. They could very well use some of the poems that they have before, especially as there are so many.

My teachers are guessing at Medusa coming up. No one knows at this point, but they correctly guessed a character that showed up in my Unit 1 exam this morning so i have faith in them

No idea about the actual question though :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepsi Cola :))
    Almost definitely higher; I have not come across a person who found it difficult.

I predict 57+ out of 68

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatonepunkguy)
    Those are really good points! I'm annoyed I forgot to mention the mask in mine. But I brought up an interesting idea of Jack being an oxymoron: the idea of the little boy vs the vicious dictator. I also talked about when Jack says he doesn't want to play anymore, he runs away crying. Crying is a trait Jack has very openly mocked when others do it, possibly showing he's also a sensitive little kid just like them underneath.

He's such an interesting character to analyze!

I know, he great to analyse and there is many interpretations with him! AQA did me a real favour picking a question about Jack!

ReputationRep:
    guys on the english lit exam i wrote the wrong month do you think anything would happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redcoats)
    Almost definitely higher; I have not come across a person who found it difficult.

I predict 57+ out of 68
    Please tell me you are joking :eek: 57+????? That's around 85%!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.