Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mairossanna)
    Okay so The Falling Leaves, Flag, and The Right Word have never come up, but that's not to say it will be one of these... Bayonet Charge has been done twice and so has Mametz Wood so it is unlikely to be one of these two.
    How are you revising???
    Hi,

My teacher has told us that those 3 poems are Foundation tier only and definitely wont come up if you are doing Higher??? I haven't been taught these at all so if these come up tomorrow, Im screwed :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BluBird :))
    What would your points be?
    Coy mistress - narrator is scared of death - 'deserts of vast eternity' - shows that we are insignificant like grains of sand when we die, and death is eternal. Also he uses death to persuade his mistress to be more adventurous - ' The graves a fine and private place, but none do there, i think, embrace' 'Worms will take your virginity'

Harmonium - The old organ reminds narrator of his father - he is about to die The whole second stanza can be seen as a metaphor for a coffin. There's a video on Mr Bruff's channel that explains this really nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObp..._EEYr9YkRnDDIM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pheebsdancer)
    Ah thanks! Can you help me with how to structure an answer please? I understand the unseen but don't get how to structure the comparison.

Thanks
    Here's what I do and I used this to get an A*~ in the mocks: The opening paragraph I just give an intro about the form of both poems, so for example 'The ruined maid is written in anapestic trimeter' this enable you to get the marks early on, and even if you don't talk about all the structural elements, you still get credit!
    For the second paragraph, I would pick one of the structural elements and talk about how they help to carry the given theme in the poem. Whilst doing this, I in cooperate linguistic devices used such as syntax etc.
    I would do this technique until i cover the main points and remember to use the vital skills such as imagery, poetic devices etc.

I would then repeat this process with the other poem, and slot the paragraphs in comparison to the given poem. So for example if my first paragraph is talking about The fall of women in The Ruined maid, My next paragraph would be comparing the devices used by the poet in the poem I choose to represent the same issue.
    If i have time I may conclude, but it's not necessary and if you are aiming for the A* try and add some Intertextual allusions!
    Good luck and hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LindsaySteele27)
    So far I've heard are Flag and The Right Word
    my teacher is saying that next to of course god america i has a very high chance of coming up, i don't really know how she's so confident about it but yeah I'm not sure , I'm gunna revise Belfast confetti also as that hasn't come up for a while i don't think and i really hope that its that.

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for the relationships cluster for tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teacher's pet)
    Coy mistress - narrator is scared of death - 'deserts of vast eternity' - shows that we are insignificant like grains of sand when we die, and death is eternal. Also he uses death to persuade his mistress to be more adventurous - ' The graves a fine and private place, but none do there, i think, embrace' 'Worms will take your virginity'

Harmonium - The old organ reminds narrator of his father - he is about to die The whole second stanza can be seen as a metaphor for a coffin. There's a video on Mr Bruff's channel that explains this really nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObp..._EEYr9YkRnDDIM
    This would be absolutely brilliant if it was the question tomorrow i also oredict that it is to his coy mistress

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a good waggol answer to the following conflict comparisons?
    The Falling Leaves, The Right Word, Belfast Confetti or The Charge Of The Light Brigade.
    All help will be useful, as these have not come up.

ReputationRep:
    Poems which have not come up for relationships
    In paris with you
    Brothers
    To his coy mistress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollie.jones1825)
    In sister maude, does he beloved really die? I get the feeling from it that her father is the only one that dies, especially in the poem when she says 'spared his soul'? Not sure whether to go into the exam with this interpretation of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You get marks for showing alternative interpretations (thats what "exploratory" means in the mark scheme) so use both arguments in your answer. I agree with you too, especially because the poem strongly implies that the father is now in heaven with "my father may sleep in paradise" and "If my dear and I" which suggests that the lover is still alive.What poem would you compare it to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahrez)
    Poems which have not come up for relationships
    In paris with you
    Brothers
    To his coy mistress
    In paris w/u can be about sexual relationships

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellamoon_22)
    In paris w/u can be about sexual relationships
    what could you comapre these poems to?

ReputationRep:
    If the first 1st named poem was in paris with u and the second was to his coy mistress am i allowed to pick to his coy nistrsss to compare with the in paris w/ u question

ReputationRep:
    what could you comapre these poems to?
    To his coy mistress
    Farmers bride
    Manhunt-sensual opening etc

Basically talk bout how sex is central in relationships
    Repetion of lets not talk of love etc

ReputationRep:
    Compare the way the poet presents being 'hurt' in 'In paris with you' and one other poem in the relationship cluster?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish235)
    Here's what I do and I used this to get an A*~ in the mocks: The opening paragraph I just give an intro about the form of both poems, so for example 'The ruined maid is written in anapestic trimeter' this enable you to get the marks early on, and even if you don't talk about all the structural elements, you still get credit!
    For the second paragraph, I would pick one of the structural elements and talk about how they help to carry the given theme in the poem. Whilst doing this, I in cooperate linguistic devices used such as syntax etc.
    I would do this technique until i cover the main points and remember to use the vital skills such as imagery, poetic devices etc.

I would then repeat this process with the other poem, and slot the paragraphs in comparison to the given poem. So for example if my first paragraph is talking about The fall of women in The Ruined maid, My next paragraph would be comparing the devices used by the poet in the poem I choose to represent the same issue.
    If i have time I may conclude, but it's not necessary and if you are aiming for the A* try and add some Intertextual allusions!
    Good luck and hope that helps!
    Intertextual allusions ? Can you explain what that is ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Compare the way the poet presents being 'hurt' in 'In paris with you' and one other poem in the relationship cluster?
    Manhunt broken relationship
    Sister maude
    Quickdraw
    Idk its all diff types of being hurt

ReputationRep:
    Last year was broken relationship for manhunt rigjt? So probably by love and sexual relationship? Bonds?

ReputationRep:
    Mr brufffffffffff posted yayyyyyyyyyy i think my prediction waa right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R2-D2)
    Hi,

My teacher has told us that those 3 poems are Foundation tier only and definitely wont come up if you are doing Higher??? I haven't been taught these at all so if these come up tomorrow, Im screwed :eek:
    oh I've never been told this??? lets hope if one does come up you can just chose the other option?

ReputationRep:
    What are alternate interpretations in the poem 'Hour'?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.