Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread* watch

ReputationRep:
    I did Poppies and Out of the Blue. Anyone else did the same?

This is what I commented, I am not sure if it's correct:

Mother not wanting to touch the boy's hair and how he become "intoxicated". Shows mum difficulty of look after him as he let him loose to the "treasure chest". The fact that she could be lonely as no mention to partner and could remember of times like Christmas as "pear tree" used. Child likely died as she saw a "dove" that easily flew away in the sky, making her feel she shouldn't have let him go. (Poppies)

Talked about his difficult choice of whether jumping would mean dying with dignity or other interpretations. The fact that he has to face a difficult choice of accepting death as he is closer to the ground. (Out of the Blue)

Compared imagery in both. Compared how one is repetition shows desperately and other one is metaphor.

ReputationRep:
    For relationships I did To His Coy Mistress and Quickdraw, but I'm worrying more and more that I'm wrong☹️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missimoody)
    For relationships I did To His Coy Mistress and Quickdraw, but I'm worrying more and more that I'm wrong☹️
    If you were able to draw out differences and similarities between the two poems then your fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PokemonSean72)

Mother not wanting to touch the boy's hair and how he become "intoxicated". Shows mum difficulty of look after him as he let him loose to the "treasure chest". The fact that she could be lonely as no mention to partner and could remember of times like Christmas as "pear tree" used. Child likely died as she saw a "dove" that easily flew away in the sky, making her feel she shouldn't have let him go. (Poppies)

Talked about his difficult choice of whether jumping would mean dying with dignity or other interpretations. The fact that he has to face a difficult choice of accepting death as he is closer to the ground. (Out of the Blue)

Compared imagery in both. Compared how one is repetition shows desperately and other one is metaphor.
    I did those two too

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else do poppies and the falling leaves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PokemonSean72)

Yay! I did the same

I talked about her leaning on the grave like a wishbone, showing how she wishes she can bring him back and how her happiness is reliant on her son being alive. I talked about the freedom of the dove which juxtaposes the lack of freedom of her son, creating a sad tone and makes the reader feel sympathy, and about how she is almost nervous to visit her son's grave

I then talked about the bird imagery in Out of the blue, showing a lack of freedom, this fear of death and him questioning if he will be saved (shown by "does anyone she a soul worth saving?") and the hopelessness of the situation through the white flag imagery

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenivii)
    moi!! thank God theres someone else lol
    I DID TOO!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did the Character and Voice cluster and was so happy with the questions because I was gonna compare Medusa and The Ruined Maid anyway.
    I did the question about how characters present themselves/their feelings or something.
    I wrote about jealousy, loneliness and power and did a paragraph on each. On each paragraph i did 2 language features and effect on reader for Medusa, and then 2 language features and effect on reader for The Ruined Maid.
    For example, when I talked about jealousy in Medusa i did the quote 'as thought my thoughts hissed and spat on my scalp' and wrote that this could mean her thoughts are uncontrollable as they are compared to a snake, and the sibilance of 'spat' and 'scalp' shows an aggressive tone.
    I had no clue what to do for the unseen, I found it really difficult. I wrote about how the young boy was not mentally ready for war as all the weapons were dangerous etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellielouxse)
    I did the Character and Voice cluster and was so happy with the questions because I was gonna compare Medusa and The Ruined Maid anyway.
    I did the question about how characters present themselves/their feelings or something.
    I wrote about jealousy, loneliness and power and did a paragraph on each. On each paragraph i did 2 language features and effect on reader for Medusa, and then 2 language features and effect on reader for The Ruined Maid.
    For example, when I talked about jealousy in Medusa i did the quote 'as thought my thoughts hissed and spat on my scalp' and wrote that this could mean her thoughts are uncontrollable as they are compared to a snake, and the sibilance of 'spat' and 'scalp' shows an aggressive tone.
    I had no clue what to do for the unseen, I found it really difficult. I wrote about how the young boy was not mentally ready for war as all the weapons were dangerous etc etc.
    I did the same sort of thing for The River God, I'm worrying I've answered the question wrong..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashaaparsons)
    I did the same sort of thing for The River God, I'm worrying I've answered the question wrong..
    why?

ReputationRep:
    Okay so most ppl for relationships did the 1st question but i did the second q for relationships and i compared brothers/nettles whereas everyone who did the 2nd question did brothers and sister maude, so will the fact ive done something no one else has done have more chance of lowering my mark or increasing my mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_08)
    This is great, v insightful
    Omg you don't know how happy you have just made me feel I am really bad at poetry and especially unseen poetry, so that is so nice to hear! I'm sure you will have very done well I know this seems completely excessive but you've really brightened up my day 😂 Thank you! 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FfionT)
    YESSSS I did too
    Yes, I also did!!! I found them easy to compare as well as they shared a page for extra convenience!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else compare Brothers/ Quickdraw in relationships?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccaholland)
    Anybody compare 'The Ruined Maid' with 'Les Grands Seigneurs'? I'm so happy this question came up, it was perfect! Unseen was good too
    me!!

ReputationRep:
    I compared THCM to Hour but wrote a massive point on how time's presented even though the question was just on attitudes towards love.. Do you reckon that's okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I did a really bad job with the unseen poem ngl. I wrote about the title being like a relationship between two people almost personifying the weapons, suggesting the speaker is being a bit crazy, making the weapons out to be something with a mind of its own, showing the speaker's hatred towards the weapons - now I'm typing this I could've maybe added how it shows the speaker's hatred towards the IDEA of the boy going to war rather than just the weapons lol. I also mentioned tones of hatred through alliteration, softer words like "nuzzle" juxtaposing the bad words describing the weapons (emphasises innocence of the boy), and also "sharp with the sharpness" - near repetition accentuates danger of weapons. I don't think this is a very in depth analysis tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicerose.j)
    I compared THCM to Hour but wrote a massive point on how time's presented even though the question was just on attitudes towards love.. Do you reckon that's okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Time is a major part of both poems in its presentation of love and so I think as long as you made some sort of reference to the time being used to show the need to fall in love now and cherish the moment, it should be ok . Also for your other post, I like your points! The one you said you should have added wasn't worth adding tbh because it isn't necessarily the speakers feelings but how he presents the impact of weapons on the boy- so you didn't need it . Hopefully it will turn out well for you , best of luck .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepsi Cola :))
    Omg you don't know how happy you have just made me feel I am really bad at poetry and especially unseen poetry, so that is so nice to hear! I'm sure you will have very done well I know this seems completely excessive but you've really brightened up my day 😂 Thank you! 😊
    Honestly i was so impressed by ur answer! like the assonance thing was great (I had no idea it was in there). I loved the colour interpretation too aw i'm happy i made you feel more confident, you should feel really happy with it. I think i did well, Wilfred Owen is my hero!!! I only spent a bit of time on it - i talked about the blood/ and the juxtaposition between the soft word "stroke" and the hard alliteration, showing that war has become conventional for the soldier as he's treating the weapon like a toy. Something like that. for structure, i said that the uniform 4 stanza length shows the blind obedience of soldiers and how theyre dominated by authority figures/ have their fate already laid out. Stuff like that. Also what cluster do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leopard923)
    Time is a major part of both poems in its presentation of love and so I think as long as you made some sort of reference to the time being used to show the need to fall in love now and cherish the moment, it should be ok . Also for your other post, I like your points! The one you said you should have added wasn't worth adding tbh because it isn't necessarily the speakers feelings but how he presents the impact of weapons on the boy- so you didn't need it . Hopefully it will turn out well for you , best of luck .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much! Hopefully it will go well and good luck to you too! (if you did the exam, I guess you did if you're on here lol)x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 25, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.