Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Aqa Physics Unit 10 - Synoptic Paper watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok I've just had a go at the January 2004 past paper, and I'm furious, that was the hardest paper I've ever seen in my life! Not only that but it took at least 3 hours to do... somehow I've got to do the paper within the 2 hour time limit in the exam- not gonna happen!

Surely other people find the synoptic really hard? Does someone out there feel my pain??? I'm on a high A at the moment and I'm really really struggling with the synoptic paper, and with it being worth 20% of the final A-level grade, I'm getting worried I'm not gonna get the A I need for uni.

ReputationRep:
    This is the advise my physics teacher gave me for the unit 10 exam:

"Think of it as a GCSE maths paper"

Its true, alot of the questions don't require an indepth knowledge of physics its jus the wording f the question.

If you go here; http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/phyA_assess.html you will find past exam papers with mark schems which could help a bit.

Just looking at the Jan 2003 unit 10 exam for the first question density = mass/volume so the question is jus asking for 1000*1.4 Is there any need for a calculator? second bit asks fo Ep=mgh

hope that helps at all, my revision for this unit has conssited mainly of diging out my GCSE notes, practising trig etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but don't you find it takes a lot longer than 2 hours just to finish a paper? It's gonna be hard to get a decent mark on this one.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is a rush to finish in time, but they do give a lot of easy marks away, one question I saw asked you to find the work function of a sheet of metal - 2 marks

then say what the work function means - 1 mark

then with out further calculation, say if a photon of so much energy hit the sheet of metal would an electron escape, explain ur answer - 3 marks

work function is quick and easy to work out, then easy to describe, then for the third part you jus have to see if the photon has more or less energy than the work function of the metal and say that there is/or isn't enough energy to help an electron escape.

you need to ensure that you complete the quick/easy mark questions like this and there you go - an instant C

you get 2 hrs for 80 marks - jus need to manage your time acordingly

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'm panicking now. I did a paper in lessons a few weeks ago and found it reallllly easy. So I haven't really been thinking about it that much.

Maybe I'd better start some intensive revision now then!

(although having said that, our teachers had us doing AS work again alongside the A2, so I haven't forgotten anything)

ReputationRep:
    'tis a very unpleasant, stressful paper. Ach.

ReputationRep:
    Some last minute cramming is in order tomorrow, methinks.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the grade boundaries for this particular paper go down? After all it's very very difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Well what did you think? I thought it could have been a lot worse, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't too bad at all! Only 1 thing I didn't get a final answer for which was the number of photons absorbed per atom in the polarisation question. I got all the show questions. If I don't get at least a B on that paper, I'll have a fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoffender)
    Wasn't too bad at all! Only 1 thing I didn't get a final answer for which was the number of photons absorbed per atom in the polarisation question. I got all the show questions. If I don't get at least a B on that paper, I'll have a fit.
    Yeah that was a dodgy question, although I did get an answer. However it was around x10^-5 :confused:
    Forgot how to do closest approach to a nucleus too, but other than that it was fine.

ReputationRep:
    what do u think the grade boundaries will be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Yeah that was a dodgy question, although I did get an answer. However it was around x10^-5 :confused:
    Forgot how to do closest approach to a nucleus too, but other than that it was fine.
    That's what I got.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I got answers to everything too... I learned the closest approach formula for unit 7 a couple of weeks ago but had totally forgotten it today... I kinda tried to make one up... then got out of the exam, consulted my textbook and I'd got it right

Some of my answers seemed silly, like the absorbing photons one, but no matter how stuck I am, I never leave a question blank in an exam unless I run out of time, I figure it's always worth a guess.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.