Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

MA in Design: RCA or CSM? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for an MA course in Design to both RCA and CSM.

Anyone who could please give me some inspirations and share their experience and opinions about Design taught at these two colleges? I can't understand why RCA MA costs the double compared to CSM.
    And I am trying to figure out which one is better in terms of employment post-master and reputations in the field.

Thankss

ReputationRep:
    RCA's reputation is second to none. But I would have thought with both its more about how good your work is. That said, doing well in design/art is often about connections, and the RCA will be unbeatable for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    RCA's reputation is second to none. But I would have thought with both its more about how good your work is. That said, doing well in design/art is often about connections, and the RCA will be unbeatable for that.
    Hello Farchitect,thanks for your reply.Did you have the chance to study or collaborate with RCA? Unfortunately I haven't met anyone graduated from RCA yet, so I can't really tell!I just visited both the colleges and CSM seems massive and so crowded compared to RCA, so my naif conclusion was that probably it is easier to find and create connection in a more 'livey' place. That said, I know that quality and quantity are two different things in terms of connections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by play_read_love)
    Hello Farchitect,thanks for your reply.Did you have the chance to study or collaborate with RCA? Unfortunately I haven't met anyone graduated from RCA yet, so I can't really tell!I just visited both the colleges and CSM seems massive and so crowded compared to RCA, so my naif conclusion was that probably it is easier to find and create connection in a more 'livey' place. That said, I know that quality and quantity are two different things in terms of connections
    I have family who went to the RCA years ago but not so much recently. I have colleagues though who have been, and couldn't praise it highly enough (for architecture specifically). You can't really argue with RCA's alumni, Thomas Heatherwick et al.

Without wanting to massively simplify things, I think it's a bit like the difference between UCL and Cambridge. There isn't in reality that much difference in terms of academic rigour between the two, however Cambridge will always have the better rep, and your grandma will have heard of it. RCA is cambridge.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.