Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

any indians in an interracial relationship Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    I can't believe your parents reacted that strongly about his background, he's a human ffs.
    someone give this person a round of applause

ReputationRep:
    act first think later. get rid of it and if you have to deal with emotional consequences, so be it. thats life. better than raising an unloved kid with family on both sides not giving a damn. will your other half even stay with you. dont be so naive. play the long game. you can have more kids

Don't ruin another thing's life, because of your effed up decisions. And that's not because of the interracial stuff, it's because you are young, and acted like an idiot.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Its very sad reading this entire post. Not every indian (/indian family) is like this, at all. I for one, am Indian and come from an Indian family. I wonder if it makes a difference that both my parents are professionals (yes, mum too) and that I'm doing a medical degree also. I have met and been in relationship with a non-indian for 2 years. I was very nervous initially to tell my parents about him but I did. We agreed they should meet the boy, my parents travelled a long way to meet him and that was probably one of the most wonderful weekends of my life. It has now been 15 months since and he has been completely accepted into the family, my mum literally considers him like a son. We are in a pre-marital relationship but at the end of the day this is the 21st century. I dont plan on getting married till I finish my very long degree and earn enough myself to start a family. I guess I am very lucky that my family are accepting.OP what is your parent's socio-economic status like? Honour/pride etc does not come from race. It comes from you as a person, how you treat others, your profession etc. I will be spending my life serving others, my patients. I dont think it would matter whether my boyfriend was white, blue, black or green. He too is a medical student.I dont know what the solution is in your situation OP. I dont think any of us can truly advice you as you know your situation the best. You say you are doing well financially, but what does that mean? Is it a stable long-term source? My concept of "lots of money" has changed from what I thought it was age 12 (£10 is alot then..) to 17.. to 22 etc. Now I dont even feel like £22k which is what my starting salary will sounds like a lot. by that age I will be looking to buy a house etc, and that certainly is not enough! Just please be sensible and think everything through thoroughly.
    Can I just ask what your religion is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaliyahEasy)
    i am an indian girl in a relationship with a black guy, i am bearing his child and my parents do not know that we are still in communication with each other, i do not know what to do i am so stuck, my mum was crying all day and night when she found out i had a black boyfriend and my dad was just really upset but mainly angry, i dont know what to do i cant hide anything for much longer
    As a black guy, myself, a lot of Indian parents are a BEAST when it comes to the type of guy they want daughter to get with. Hell, most Asian dudes would not cut it, but a black guy ?

Good luck.

Funny thing is if you brought home a white guy, you would have faced a lot less can animosity. However a black guy ? I know your folks made up their mind immediately............ before they even met the guy.

I have rarely if ever have witnessed a woman of another race threatened to be cut off entirely just for being with a white guy. The privileges of being "white" are pretty consistent amongst all avenues, the same thing occurs when they apply for jobs, housing in certain neighbourhoods, loans. I think favouritism is pretty consistent across all avenues when you make the comparison.

I mean - Unless he was an extreme example of a black guy, like some famous celeb, Idris Elba, they might have cut you some slack if you were with him, but a regular 9-5 black guy ?

Happen. Not. Gonna

am sorry but why are Asian parents soooooooooooooo bloody damn racist. it f****en pisses me of. urghhhhhh.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, being black in this world sometimes feels like playing Uncharted on 'Crushing'.

Good lord...

ReputationRep:
    Your braaaaave. Good luck to u

ReputationRep:
    am sorry but why are Asian parents soooooooooooooo bloody damn racist. it f****en pisses me of. urghhhhhh.
    it's ingrained. They think if u get married with a person from ur own culture, you'll understand each other better, have similar ways and traditions and there's less chance of a divorce. Its silly and they need to realise that their British born children and brought up in a different society, country and generation to them

ReputationRep:

lolz story of my life. Thankfully my parents have gotten a lot better.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.