Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of kim kardashians nude selfie? Do you think it empowers women? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Erm not sure why you put the empowering part in when there was no mention before. Don't see how posting a censored nude pic has any meaning and don't really care about it since its not breaking site rules.
    ???
    Erm, Kim herself said that she posted the nude to empower women (read update on OP)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    ???
    Erm, Kim herself said that she posted the nude to empower women (read update on OP)
    Yeah don't see how showing your skin empowers anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely have no idea why anyone cares that much over a throwaway picture :/

The only things she's "empowered" are basement neckbeard sausages smh with her selfie.

ReputationRep:
    But size "0" is not always in style. A lot of skinny women feel insecure too.
    Kim k's body doesn't have any stretch marks, she has a toned stomach, wide hips, perky boobs etc...
    How is she showing of her "flaws" lmao. Her body is near perfect I fail to see how it empowers women.
    Well, for the past couple of years, size 0 models are dominating the modelling industry and setting these kinds of standards for ordinary women. But if I had Kim's body, I would probably show it off too haha,

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see how it empowers women. I'd be interested to hear from any woman who thinks Kim Kardashian posting this photo has benefitted her in some way.

Personally I see it as a problem in society, that the view of a woman's worth is so heavily based on her looks (which hardly help or harm anyone) as compared to men, where the emphasis is more on their character, abilities and achievements (which can actually be a great deal of use to society). It's enough of a problem as it is, and I don't think this photo (alongside many other ways in which women are depicted in the media) do anything to help matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kmixo)
    Well, for the past couple of years, size 0 models are dominating the modelling industry and setting these kinds of standards for ordinary women. But if I had Kim's body, I would probably show it off too haha,
    Yeah, I totally agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I don't really see how it empowers women. I'd be interested to hear from any woman who thinks Kim Kardashian posting this photo has benefitted her in some way.

Personally I see it as a problem in society, that the view of a woman's worth is so heavily based on her looks (which hardly help or harm anyone) as compared to men, where the emphasis is more on their character, abilities and achievements (which can actually be a great deal of use to society). It's enough of a problem as it is, and I don't think this photo (alongside many other ways in which women are depicted in the media) do anything to help matters.
    Yeah, that's another way to look at it. I can see where you are coming from.

ReputationRep:
    It's not about empowerment or anything like that.

It's marketing.

Not that she actually does anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    It was very immature of her to talk back to Chloe like that tbh.

As for the nude selfie, she's a married woman with two children. Can she not have some respect for herself? If she was single then I guess you could say that.. There are countless examples of mothers trying to make the world better and working their asses off for their kids. What's she doing? Taking her clothes off because it's the only thing she can do and is good at.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Kim k posted a "nude" on twitter ..I wouldn't really classify it as a nude because she has her areas censored.
    I personally don't think it was bad because if she's got it ... then flaunt it right?
    I don't see how it empowers women though lmao

Chloe moretz said that Kim needs to show women that we are more than just our bodies and Kim insulted her back...

What do you think of this?

UPDATE: An article I found on what kim k said in regards to her selfie
    “Hey, guys. I wanted to write a post elaborating on my tweets last night,” Kim begins, in an essay Just Jared states was posted on her website.Kim continues, “In all seriousness, I never understand why people get so bothered by what other people choose to do with their lives. I don’t do drugs, I hardly drink, I’ve never committed a crime—and yet I’m a bad role model for being proud of my body?” She then addresses all the comments that refer back to her sex tape. “It always seems to come back around to my sex tape,”says Kim K. “Yes, a sex tape that was made 13 years ago. 13 YEARS AGO. Literally that lonnng ago. And people still want to talk about it?!?!” She explains that, at the time, she lived with fear and embarrassment, but later decided to move on and be better. “I shouldn’t have to constantly be on the defense, listing off my accomplishments just to prove that I am more than something that happened 13 years ago,” asserts Kim, urging everyone to move on and stop shaming her for her past actions.

“I am empowered by my body. I am empowered by my sexuality. I am empowered by feeling comfortable in my skin. I am empowered by showing the world my flaws and not being afraid of what anyone is going to say about me,” reveals Kardashian West. “And I hope that through this platform I have been given, I can encourage the same empowerment for girls and women all over the world.”“I feel so lucky to have grown up surrounded by strong, driven, independent women. The life lessons I’ve learned from my sisters, my mother and my grandmother, I will pass along to my daughter,” Kim announces. “I want her to be proud of who she is. I want her to be comfortable in her body. I don’t want her to grow up in a world where she is made to feel less-than for embracing everything it means to be a woman.”

“It’s 2016. The body-shaming and slut-shaming—it’s like, enough is enough. I will not live my life dictated by the issues you have with my sexuality. You be you and let me be me,”Kardashian West concludes. “I am a mother. I am a wife, a sister, a daughter, an entrepreneur and I am allowed to be sexy.”She ends her essay with: #happyinternationalwomensday.In writing this essay, we’re glad Kim took a moment to stand by her decisions and to explain that she chooses to embrace the way she’s expressed her confidence instead of allowing negativity to get the best of her. In the end, she makes a great point – she’s allowed to make her own choices, especially when it comes to her body and her sexuality.
    I saw her reply to Chloe Moretz about her being unknown or whatever. Some people can be famous and successful without being naked or getting ****ed on camera. That's probably why she's unheard of to Kim.

If she wants to embrace her sexuality by posting naked pictures, then fine. Just dont cry and say people keep bringing up your past when pictures like that are a constant reminder of your past.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think nude pictures empower women...

She is empowering.

And shhh to anyone who says "it's not a competition", I'm just giving an example.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call it empowering, but I think it's terrible for people to shame her for this. Let the woman do what she wants; her body, her choice!

ReputationRep:
    Kim k posted a "nude" on twitter ..I wouldn't really classify it as a nude because she has her areas censored.
    I personally don't think it was bad because if she's got it ... then flaunt it right?
    I don't see how it empowers women though lmao

Chloe moretz said that Kim needs to show women that we are more than just our bodies and Kim insulted her back...

What do you think of this?

UPDATE: An article I found on what kim k said in regards to her selfie
    “Hey, guys. I wanted to write a post elaborating on my tweets last night,” Kim begins, in an essay Just Jared states was posted on her website.Kim continues, “In all seriousness, I never understand why people get so bothered by what other people choose to do with their lives. I don’t do drugs, I hardly drink, I’ve never committed a crime—and yet I’m a bad role model for being proud of my body?” She then addresses all the comments that refer back to her sex tape. “It always seems to come back around to my sex tape,”says Kim K. “Yes, a sex tape that was made 13 years ago. 13 YEARS AGO. Literally that lonnng ago. And people still want to talk about it?!?!” She explains that, at the time, she lived with fear and embarrassment, but later decided to move on and be better. “I shouldn’t have to constantly be on the defense, listing off my accomplishments just to prove that I am more than something that happened 13 years ago,” asserts Kim, urging everyone to move on and stop shaming her for her past actions.

“I am empowered by my body. I am empowered by my sexuality. I am empowered by feeling comfortable in my skin. I am empowered by showing the world my flaws and not being afraid of what anyone is going to say about me,” reveals Kardashian West. “And I hope that through this platform I have been given, I can encourage the same empowerment for girls and women all over the world.”“I feel so lucky to have grown up surrounded by strong, driven, independent women. The life lessons I’ve learned from my sisters, my mother and my grandmother, I will pass along to my daughter,” Kim announces. “I want her to be proud of who she is. I want her to be comfortable in her body. I don’t want her to grow up in a world where she is made to feel less-than for embracing everything it means to be a woman.”

“It’s 2016. The body-shaming and slut-shaming—it’s like, enough is enough. I will not live my life dictated by the issues you have with my sexuality. You be you and let me be me,”Kardashian West concludes. “I am a mother. I am a wife, a sister, a daughter, an entrepreneur and I am allowed to be sexy.”She ends her essay with: #happyinternationalwomensday.In writing this essay, we’re glad Kim took a moment to stand by her decisions and to explain that she chooses to embrace the way she’s expressed her confidence instead of allowing negativity to get the best of her. In the end, she makes a great point – she’s allowed to make her own choices, especially when it comes to her body and her sexuality.
    I'm a guy so not sure....it does empower something else though....................

ReputationRep:
    Showing everyone her body is not empowering. It's demeaning, disgusting and out right disrespectful to her body. I don't get this rubbish about showing your body as being "empowering"'and "slut shaming". That's absolutely ridiculous. If she is so "empowered" she should go naked publicly around EVERYONE, without clothes day in, day out. Why go half way by censoring her nude picture on Twitter?! Might as well go full blown naked to the general public and save us the explanations. We all have bodies, having a body does not make one empowered. Go fight human right dehumanization in Africa and the Middle east if you want to feel "empowered".

I blame the people that give them the time of the day, she knows she will gain publicity, that's why her and her family go for the whole "shock" tactic. And people ALWAYS give them the publicity they want, every time. What a shame.

Who does she think she is telling people what to do? Not that I follow them or anything. Sitting in her million pound mansion without reality of what goes around in the outside world. And it's so disheartening that some people would do as she says. This celebrity worship is bonkers!!

She can do as she pleases, but shouldn't tell people how to feel empowered, because she has no idea of what it means.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 243
Size:  136.9 KB
    Her body,her choice. I don't understand why people are so bothered about Kim's picture. Would I ever post such a picture of myself? No. Do I have a right to dictate how other women ought to present themselves? No. It is not Kim's job to 'set goals for younger women'-she is her own person, and I highly doubt that many girls would see that picture and think "all I have to offer is my body" or make life decisions based on Kim. I opened instagram, saw the picture,liked it, continued scrolling through my feed, and carried on with my life as usual :yy:

ReputationRep:
    It's her body, she can do what she wants with it.

That being said if anyone is stupid enough to claim that this makes any difference at all with regards to female empowerment then they're wrong. That entire family has no talent to speak of and are less interesting than watching paint dry. I wish that people would stop giving them attention so that they may fade out of the public eye.

ReputationRep:
Views: 127
Size:  46.6 KBBeautiful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
Views: 243
Size:  136.9 KB
    Her body,her choice. I don't understand why people are so bothered about Kim's picture. Would I ever post such a picture of myself? No. Do I have a right to dictate how other women ought to present themselves? No. It is not Kim's job to 'set goals for younger women'-she is her own person, and I highly doubt that many girls would see that picture and think "all I have to offer is my body" or make life decisions based on Kim. I opened instagram, saw the picture,liked it, continued scrolling through my feed, and carried on with my life as usual :yy:
    I completely agree! Well said

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's another way to look at it. I can see where you are coming from.
    Yes... I mean, I notice one of the posters has said "If I had Kim's body, I'd show it off too". I can understand why, because everyone likes to take pride in their best qualities and show them off a little bit. But I think it's unfortunate that so many people view aesthetics and sex appeal as the most prestigious qualities that young women can have. It means that they become the qualities that many women would like to show off the most, and therefore begin to focus on and compete over the most, sometimes losing some of their own sense of self-worth when it isn't going their way.

I don't want to sound like I'm blaming Kim Kardashian for all this, because it's been a feature of our society for centuries, since the male dominated eras when looking attractive was one of the only things women were considered to be any good for. But since Kim is such an influential and recognisable public figure, her behaviour is not only a symptom but also a reinforcer of these attitudes, especially when we end up giving her lots of praise and attention for it.

I don't think these attitudes do anything to empower women. They devalue a great many of the other interests, skills and qualities that women can have, putting pressure on them to value their aesthetics and sex-appeal above all else - ironically, the qualities that are most likely to be appreciated by men! In my opinion, empowerment of women would entail a shift in our societal attitudes which result in all of us appreciating them for everything else they can offer in a more holistic way, just as we do for men, rather than just for their bodies. As Chloë Grace Moretz points out, women are so much more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
Views: 127
Size:  46.6 KBBeautiful
    Her figure is perfect

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.