Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Budgeting for study in the USA (UTK) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been offered a place to study at the university of tennessee and they have given me an estimated budget of $19000 (about £14000) for the whole year, not inc tuition fees but everything else. This seems like alot and if it is accurate I wont be able to afford to go. I was wondering if anyone has any experience and can tell me if this is about right or not? Thanks!!!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by lzz3)
    I've been offered a place to study at the university of tennessee and they have given me an estimated budget of $19000 (about £14000) for the whole year, not inc tuition fees but everything else. This seems like alot and if it is accurate I wont be able to afford to go. I was wondering if anyone has any experience and can tell me if this is about right or not? Thanks!!!
    Hi there!

So, I studied in California for a year, and I also needed to show an estimated budget of about £14,000. It's important to note that this budget is purely for them to approve of your application, so they know you have enough money to study there, live there, cope with emergencies, etc. Often you can show £14,000 in different ways, family lent me some money just so I could send my application away, and then I gave them their money back. It's basically you saying "I have access to these funds if needed".

Now, my year in California was indeed rather expensive. But, you can still live very frugally, it depends on many different things. In total, I spent close to the £14,000, but £8,000 of that went on very nice accommodation. I could've potentially halved that if I chose to share a room with one or two other people. I also travelled a lot which didn't help my funds.

If you're currently at a university, think about how much you spend in a year, and expect that number to potentially double. You can be pretty cheap on eating and accommodation, but you can spend a lot of money travelling, going to new events or the like. Look up different sources, see how expensive Tennessee tends to be, other peoples' experiences and you should get a good idea.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any other questions!

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lzz3)
    I'm preparing for my 2nd daughter to attend UC Berkeley.

I presume the amount they are estimating is for the whole 12 months rather than just the academic year as that amount does seem a lot, that amount doesn't seem that far behind of what is required for Berkeley which is an expensive area.

Should ask the uni for the breakdown of what exactly that $19000 is for.

Studying in US isn't cheap and usually will require some parental support.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.