Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to cope with severe hypermobility pain during your gcses? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I suffer with bad hypermobility syndrome which is at its worst when sitting down for a long duration of time. Therefore I was wondering if you can get 'rest breaks' during your exams or something to help ease the pain. If not then pain remedies?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by jxdemarie)
    I suffer with bad hypermobility syndrome which is at its worst when sitting down for a long duration of time. Therefore I was wondering if you can get 'rest breaks' during your exams or something to help ease the pain. If not then pain remedies?
    Speak to your schools senco about exam adjustments, rest breaks seem like an entirely reasonable request.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxdemarie)
    Hey, i'm currently in yr13 and i have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome - Hypermobility Type. I get a lot of pain, especially during exams and my wrists tend to sublux a lot when writing.

I would definitely talk to your SENCO coordinator, and your consultant (if you're under one) or physio, or even the GP.
    My rheumatologist, physio and OT compiled an email to school with all their suggestions for things i need at school. In order to get special arrangements in exams they quite often want to see evidence of a condition from a healthcare professional.
    In my exams i get rest breaks (where i can get up and walk around, i'm in a room on my own), laptop use (i find it easier for me) and extra time in the exams i choose to write in (my science exams).
    I also bring in a cushion and school have to provide me with a better chair (i use one of the ones the teachers use - with a long back and arm rests). Have you thought about using a cushion to pad the chair better, or even a rolled up towel at the base of your spine to improve support and posture, it's something my physio recommended but it's really useful in reducing back pain.

I would really recommend talking to senco, or your head of year though. they'll know how to go about getting what you need in order to succeed in your exams!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.