The Student Room Group

Front license plate has either fell off or been stolen

Today I noticed that my front license plate wasn't there. It was definitely there two days ago when I last look at my car front on and can't be sure if it was there yesterday as I got into my car front the side rather than walk straight up it like I did 2 days ago and today.

I can't be sure if it fell off or got nicked. I wouldn't be surprised if it were nicked as I stay in a dodgy area but if that were the case, wouldn't they have stolen two? I did do a long journey of 200 miles a few days ago and maybe it could have fallen off then as its an old car but I don't know for sure.

What should I do? Should I report it as stolen to the police just to be on the safe side? Also does anyone know roughly how much it'll cost for a replacement plate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
If they didn't take the back one too then it's probably not stolen. The back one is what they want anyway, seeing as that's what most speed cameras and ANPR cameras pick up.

A new one costs twenty quid or so, either online (easy) or from somewhere like Halfrauds (you'll need to dig out your log book for the car as proof of ownership).
Reply 2
I agree with Nuffles. They get nicked in pairs.
Take your logbook along to your local independant car spares shop and get a new one. Chances are it'll be cheaper and you'll be supporting a local busines.
I'd still report it to the police as people take one and clone them happened to my dad back in '98 as he only found out when a car with matching plates was used in a ram-raid in Suffolk and he proved it wasn't him and they said it should be reported as so as possible as it saves time for the police to not have to investigate the victim of the plate theft
Reply 4
I've lost my logbook and I need that to go and get a new plate made. I'll need to call up DVLA tomorrow and get it seen to. Is it illegal to drive with only the back license plate on? Reading conflicting things about it online

Posted from TSR Mobile
Step One:

Report to police as a possible plate theft. Thieves are catching on, and sometimes now just steal one plate (because most people assume they were stolen in pairs, so think it's fallen off instead), then steal the other on the night of the crime they intend to use a "clone" car for. For all you know, there could have been a spate of the same thing happening in your area.

Step Two:

Go to halfords with your V5C and they can rustle up a new one for you.

Original post by Spock's Socks
I've lost my logbook and I need that to go and get a new plate made. I'll need to call up DVLA tomorrow and get it seen to. Is it illegal to drive with only the back license plate on? Reading conflicting things about it online

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your vehicle must display number plates on both the front and the rear to be road-legal.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending