Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I am in year 13 atm and I have applied for Chemical Engineering
    and its been 3 weeks since I firmed Edinburgh and insured Nottingham.

After reading some of the posts I have seen that the student satisfaction is really low. I knew it was not awesome, but 1 person made a thread about how bad his experience was and now I am really scared.

I have been speaking to people on the Edinburgh fb chat and I really like the people but I am worried I wont like the course.

Should I leave my firm as Edinburgh?
    Is it still possible to change my insurance and make it into a firm.
    Should I switch to adjustment?
    Should I change my firm to Nottingham?
    Which uni is better in your opinion?

Any responses will be very much appreciated

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    can a mod pls move this thread^ think I accidentally posted in the wrong a-levels instead of uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpj16)
    So I am in year 13 atm and I have applied for Chemical Engineering
    and its been 3 weeks since I firmed Edinburgh and insured Nottingham.

After reading some of the posts I have seen that the student satisfaction is really low. I knew it was not awesome, but 1 person made a thread about how bad his experience was and now I am really scared.

I have been speaking to people on the Edinburgh fb chat and I really like the people but I am worried I wont like the course.

Thanks
    Edinburgh is a great uni and its a great uni for chem eng. I firmed Notts over Edinburgh only because it was one less year and preferred the campus and uni in general but course wise I slightly preferred Edinburgh. I'm pretty sure you cant change it now but I wouldn't be worried because of what that 1 guy said. If you really dont want to go you can always apply for adjustment/clearing on results day.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Cpj16)

Thanks
    That's entirely up to you - you need to decide whether you'd prefer to study in Edinburgh or Nottingham. Have you considered arranging a follow up visit over the easter break to get a feel for student life?

Yes - but to do this you need agreement from both your firm and insurance. You can do this at any point up until mid July (but it can take a week or two to arrange). If you go down this route UCAS will swap over your firm and insurance choices - which means you need to look at accommodation policies for both (but you should do that anyway and apply for accommodation for both if that's possible within any deadlines they set)

Adjustment is only open for 5 days following results and you're only eligible if you meet AND exceed your firm offer. It isn't a great option for switching.

See the answer to your first question. Everyone has doubts, you've firmed quite early (80% of applicants firm in April) so don't rush into another decision. Take your time, carry on with your research, visit again, talk to people. Make a decision and then sleep on it for a week before taking any action.

I'd prefer Edinburgh but that's purely because I prefer a city environment to Nottingham's sprawling campus. I didn't like the feel of Notts any time I've visited. What suits me doesn't have any relevance to what suits you. Choose somewhere you'll feel happy and will thrive. Student Satisfaction for Scottish universities tends to be lower - counter-intuitively this is because Scottish students pay lower fees and the funding and finance regime is very different. Scottish students end up with very reduced choices of universities if they want to stay within scotland (which most do) and that's had a knock on effect on NSS scores. Initially Scottish universities didn't have to take part in the NSS either so response rates tend to be lower too (there's less university buy in).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    That's entirely up to you - you need to decide whether you'd prefer to study in Edinburgh or Nottingham. Have you considered arranging a follow up visit over the easter break to get a feel for student life?

Yes - but to do this you need agreement from both your firm and insurance. You can do this at any point up until mid July (but it can take a week or two to arrange). If you go down this route UCAS will swap over your firm and insurance choices - which means you need to look at accommodation policies for both (but you should do that anyway and apply for accommodation for both if that's possible within any deadlines they set)

Adjustment is only open for 5 days following results and you're only eligible if you meet AND exceed your firm offer. It isn't a great option for switching.

See the answer to your first question. Everyone has doubts, you've firmed quite early (80% of applicants firm in April) so don't rush into another decision. Take your time, carry on with your research, visit again, talk to people. Make a decision and then sleep on it for a week before taking any action.

I'd prefer Edinburgh but that's purely because I prefer a city environment to Nottingham's sprawling campus. I didn't like the feel of Notts any time I've visited. What suits me doesn't have any relevance to what suits you. Choose somewhere you'll feel happy and will thrive. Student Satisfaction for Scottish universities tends to be lower - counter-intuitively this is because Scottish students pay lower fees and the funding and finance regime is very different. Scottish students end up with very reduced choices of universities if they want to stay within scotland (which most do) and that's had a knock on effect on NSS scores. Initially Scottish universities didn't have to take part in the NSS either so response rates tend to be lower too (there's less university buy in).
    Thanks for your reply I can't rep you for some reason but you deserve it
    I showed the final paragraph you wrote to my mum because she didn't know why the student satisfaction was low either.

Also do you thinking its worth to go on an offer holder day because I think I am behind on revision and will miss 1-2 days of school as well if I go.( I have controlled assessments on those days as well.)

Thank you
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Cpj16)
    Thanks for your reply I can't rep you for some reason but you deserve it
    I showed the final paragraph you wrote to my mum because she didn't know why the student satisfaction was low either.

Also do you thinking its worth to go on an offer holder day because I think I am behind on revision and will miss 1-2 days of school as well if I go.( I have controlled assessments on those days as well.)

Thank you
    I would contact them and ask if you can visit over the Easter holidays instead. Visiting is worthwhile but you should arrange visits at times that won't interfere with your studies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.