Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm an international student and I'm currently studying my A levels. I recentl received an offer from Imperial College London for Aeronautical engineering. I understand that imperial college london is a highly prestigious university. However my main concern is whether or not when I graduate, will it be easy to get a job? This is my main concern since I'm an international student and getting a job is significantly harder in UK. Also, the aerospace industry is relatively small and much harder for internationals to get jobs. I want to know, whether it would be advisable to accept this offer... given that I have been accepted to some average schools in USA for mech eng. I understand that mech eng will make it easier to get jobs in US... but do you think giving up such a prestigious university (Imperial) is worth it?
    I am also wondering whether it would be easy to get a job in US with that imperial aeronautical degree when I graduate?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help?!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Pokepal03)
    Can someone please help?!
    Employers look for good people, not good unis.

That said Imperial is one of the top Engineering unis in the world so if you maximise the advantage that gives you you'll be fine.

Even in the US.

(Although the US is hard to work in if you are aiming for aerospace.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Pokepal03)
    Hey guys, I'm an international student and I'm currently studying my A levels. I recentl received an offer from Imperial College London for Aeronautical engineering. I understand that imperial college london is a highly prestigious university. However my main concern is whether or not when I graduate, will it be easy to get a job? This is my main concern since I'm an international student and getting a job is significantly harder in UK. Also, the aerospace industry is relatively small and much harder for internationals to get jobs. I want to know, whether it would be advisable to accept this offer... given that I have been accepted to some average schools in USA for mech eng. I understand that mech eng will make it easier to get jobs in US... but do you think giving up such a prestigious university (Imperial) is worth it?
    It depends on how well good your CV is (which, as a student going for graduate level jobs essentially amounts to having at least some relevant experience in the form of an industrial placement and maybe a decent extra curricular activity where you can discuss things like team-work and leadership) and how well you interview. Engineering is not the type of industry where people will be particularly impressed by education alone.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.