Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, now at the age of 21 I have came to the conclusion that I would love to further my education. I've recently applied for an access course in social sciences and humanities, I'm both nervous and excited but above all not very clued up on it all, yes I've read a lot online, watched videos of people expressing how much they enjoy their access course and what they have achieved but I've yet to find any substantial information out, so If anyone would answer me just a few questions I'd be very grateful!How was your first week/month/first impressions of the course and did or have they changed?How much did it cost? When is funding applicable I'm 21 and work part time (16 hours a week)What is the work load like?In general I'd just like to know anyone's views on their access course, any information will be greatly appreciated.. Thankyou!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Some of your questions are answered here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3401311 There are lots of current and old Access student stories in this thread. I think there are a few diaries too. Use the search function (under tools) to find specific information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lxkeb)
    Hello, now at the age of 21 I have came to the conclusion that I would love to further my education. I've recently applied for an access course in social sciences and humanities, I'm both nervous and excited but above all not very clued up on it all, yes I've read a lot online, watched videos of people expressing how much they enjoy their access course and what they have achieved but I've yet to find any substantial information out, so If anyone would answer me just a few questions I'd be very grateful!How was your first week/month/first impressions of the course and did or have they changed?How much did it cost? When is funding applicable I'm 21 and work part time (16 hours a week)What is the work load like?In general I'd just like to know anyone's views on their access course, any information will be greatly appreciated.. Thankyou!
    It's not recommended to work part time while doing an access course, as the lectures on top of work load at home should come to around 40 hours a week.
    Check with your college about the price, mine is around £350 for the whole year, but it's free for me as I'm 19 and have not studied at level 3 before.

Access courses can pretty much get you into most degrees - but please get in touch with universities that you would like to study at, and ask them for the module/unit requirements of an access course. They will tell you what grades in the course you need to get, as well as grades required at GCSE. (normally only English Language and Maths)

ReputationRep:
    The workload is not all that bad - especially if you are doing a course which does not require a work experience unit.
    Plenty on my course work part time and that's on top of doing 50 hours minimum classroom experience. There will be a lot of pressure, times when you have several assignments due at once will be tough but you should get a lot of time and there's always the ample holidays to stay on top of things.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with working part time and studying an Access Course to Higher Education. Its based on your motivation about how much you want to achieve and how much you can handle. If you can handle for the next year cutting out a day or two of rest and doing nothing, substituting that for a couple of hours of studying you can easily work and study the Access.

I studied an Access Course to Higher Education, worked part time (unlike my class mates) and still got the highest grades in my class. 30 Credits Distinction, 15 Credits at Merit, going on to study Law at University of Birmingham.

This is my guide, that covers a different aspect of Access course. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2326226

Don't limit yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I think it must depend where you are in the country. As the previous replies seem to offer different information to the access course I am doing at the minute. I'm doing an access to health course, it is part time and worth 60 credits for ucas. As I am 27 I have a 24+ loan as the course was about £4000. I am doing this alongside working 25 hours for the North east ambulance service as a call handler (and looking after a small child), there is a girl on the course who is doing it full time who works also and has been offered a place at uni this year so it is possible to do both as long as you are prepared to work hard! The best thing to do if you are still unsure or have questions is go in to college or place you are wanting to study and ask to speak to someone, they are usually so helpful and lovely

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As above I think the workload varies heavily between colleges. I won't be starting mine until September next year but most local people to me on here seemed to think working three days a week was doable. I've seen a lot of people on here claim to be still working full time while doing and others saying they don't work and still struggle with it. I do think it depends on you as a person, if you have a lot of self discipline and motivation. At 21 I think you may have to pay for the course yourself which is not cheap although there may be some funding available depending on your circumstances. Let us know how you get on!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 and doing access to social sciences. Because I don't have the grades go get into uni already (anything level 3 or above) I get the course for free. I work part time around it, 20 hours worth. We have about 4/5 essays a term of about 2000 words and one big essay of 4000 words. It's not too difficult working and doing the course, as long as you're organised with the workload from the beginning (my organisation is terrible, i tend to do the essay a couple of days before it's due)! Good luck tho, it's easy to do if you're determined enough!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.