Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollface54)
    did anyone get 6x-41 for any q
    I think i did coz it looks familiar. For the tangent/ line geometry question that also asked for the eq of a circle

ReputationRep:
    yes it was 3x-41 I got that too actually

ReputationRep:
    yesssss 3x-41

ReputationRep:
    can anyone remember second part of binomial question x = 1 + 3d ?

ReputationRep:
    RIP me I got 7/5 for the first question and that's about it I didn't even see the back page also wtf was the squiggly 8 I'm done I couldn't even find PQ and that was one mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dddlll)
    can anyone remember second part of binomial question x = 1 + 3d ?
    second part was: if d is small, explain why (1+d)^3 is approx 1+3d

ReputationRep:
    yeaah my d is the squiggly 8
    ++
    I think expansion was 1+ 3*d + 3*d^2+ d^3 so when d is small = 1+3*d
    but I can not remember second part of question

Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    How did they get x = 1.054 in the second part ?

ReputationRep:
    Question 6 . Only one i couldn't do.
    Had a mind blank...

ReputationRep:
    People forget that the grades are based on percentages, so depending on how poor the paper was taken, the grade boundaries may be lowered so the same percentage of candidates achieve an A grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dddlll)
    How did they get x = 1.054 in the second part ?
    I'll remember as best I can:

So you have (1+d)^3, and you're given that the expansion of that is approximately equal to 1+3d. It then tells you to sub in 1+d for x into the cubic (sorry - I've forgotten what the cubic was) so you do that and get something like:

(1+d)^3+(1+d)+7 (again, sorry, I've forgotten the cubic).

Then you expand using the information given previously:
    4d+8 = 0

Then you solve for d, getting around 0.05.

You know that x = 1+d because you're given it, so just sub in your d value => x = 1.05 (3 s.f.).

Sorry again for using a random cubic, it doesn't work obviously but I thought it'd be easier showing you like that even though I've forgotten what the given cubic was.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that pissed me off was the binomial expansion question when they said "when X is small (1-X) ~ 1+3x" or whatever. How can they just say small!! so unspecific 😤

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fr3dg)
    The only thing that pissed me off was the binomial expansion question when they said "when X is small (1-X) ~ 1+3x" or whatever. How can they just say small!! so unspecific 😤
    Yeah that annoyed me too haha. Such stupid terminology to use

ReputationRep:
    By the end I was triple checking to see whether I actually knew how to work out the gradient of a straight line Deffo lost a few brain cells doing that paper

ReputationRep:
    THIS PAPER THOUGH! The max I can get is 75 with all the bits I skipped, and that is HIGHLY unlikely. WHt THE ACTUAL F*** OCR WHAT IS THE BLINKING POINT OF These DIABOLICAL qUESTIONS at one point I was seriously tempted to flip over the table and LEAVE F*** thIS

ReputationRep:
    This paper was SO HARD in comparison to any past paper I have done ever (and I did all of the available ones on their website). The train and car question? I was so lost, I made up an equation to differentiate for the 6 mark question. I made some really stupid mistakes as well :'( I hope the grade boundaries are low. It's so sad because I was getting As quite easily in all the past papers I did, small chance of that now

ReputationRep:
    I think we should try to make an unofficial mark scheme together.

ReputationRep:
    I think the max I can get is 12 so congrats sounds like you did good

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any idea on grades boundaries just approximate? I'm aiming for a C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    I think we should try to make an unofficial mark scheme together.
    If people are willing to wait, I could make another thread tomorrow to compile an unofficial mark scheme? :dontknow:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I might need some help, though.. :moon:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.