Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candol)
    Because in that example i still have 4/5 of the width left (i have gone 1/5th up from the bottom where the triangular plane is at its widest, leaving 4/5)
    oh i see thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    guys i have a general question about this paper: for questions worth like 5/6 marks where the majority of marks are gained in the working will i still be able to get full marks if i use a different method to that in the mark scheme and still get the answer right? Having said that, will I also get full marks if I miss a step of the working (written in the answer) but get the answer right anyway? I find this really trivial when I mark my own work. thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lrrgolas)
    guys i have a general question about this paper: for questions worth like 5/6 marks where the majority of marks are gained in the working will i still be able to get full marks if i use a different method to that in the mark scheme and still get the answer right? Having said that, will I also get full marks if I miss a step of the working (written in the answer) but get the answer right anyway? I find this really trivial when I mark my own work. thanks!
    Apparently no....
    The mark scheme sometimes contains 2 different methods (or more) but if it isn't one of those, then you don't usually get the marks (I don't remember who told me that, so I might be wrong.....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwishicouldfly14)
    Apparently no....
    The mark scheme sometimes contains 2 different methods (or more) but if it isn't one of those, then you don't usually get the marks (I don't remember who told me that, so I might be wrong.....)
    Stupidest thing I've heard, if your method works and you get it right, why shouldn't you get marks, stupid exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fish40)
    Stupidest thing I've heard, if your method works and you get it right, why shouldn't you get marks, stupid exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At least we're not taking an AQA FSMQ.

And there aren't usually that many ways to work a question out, only if it's trig. It shouldn't be too bad....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fish40)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can you give an example of when this has occurred?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently no....
    You are ridiculously wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You are ridiculously wrong.
    Well don't blame me, this is what I've read/heard

And I did say that I might be wrong.

ReputationRep:

All you need is a sound mathematical method

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candol)
    All you need is a sound mathematical method
    Okay.

ReputationRep:
    I just read the mark scheme and

"All examiners are instructed that alternative correct answers and unexpected approaches in candidates’ scripts must be given marks that fairly reflect the relevant knowledge and skills demonstrated."

So yes, I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:

I'm not blaming you, I was saying you were wrong so that other candidates wouldn't panic from your nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know how to sketch polynomials - as in points of inflection etc.. up to any order?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etata)
    Do we need to know how to sketch polynomials - as in points of inflection etc.. up to any order?
    Pretty sure it would only be up to x^3. They haven't ever asked for anything higher in the past papers.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I got an A on this paper :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether we are supposed to spend an equal amount of time on Section A and B?

ReputationRep:
    Im terrified for this exam, are there any predictions?

ReputationRep:
    My teacher told me we should spend 50-55 minutes on section A and 65-70 minutes on section B.

I don't really pay too much attention to time however, since I usually finish section A in around 30 and B in around 40.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gro)
    Im terrified for this exam, are there any predictions?
    I've looked but can't seem to find any, however every paper will have some more straightforward questions (e.g to find the midpoint, gradient etc. of a line) and then some harder application questions. I'm guessing it's hard to predict exactly how they will phrase the questions, but so long as you learn the basic concepts (e.g differentiation, integration etc) and do a lot of practice you should be fine! (:

ReputationRep:
    other than suvat equations
    anything we need to like memorise...? any other eqn

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 19, 2017

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.