Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I thought that keeping a thread like this might somehow add a layer of discipline into my - truthfully - filled with procrastination existence and perhaps help me reach my target of an A in AS maths. Hopefully, also reassuring me a bit more about my chance of getting accepted into a med school.

Not going to say too much about myself, but in general, I'm a relatively good student that has never really focused much in class.

GCSE grades: 1A*, 6A's, 4B's.

In GCSE Maths, I have received a B. My plan for this year is to solely focus on mathematics until the end of my last exam that will take place somewhere around mid June I believe, and then, to catch up on the biology and chemistry AS that I didn't really concentrate on, to finally, end up studying harder than I am when I see Jessica Alba towards the mighty UKCATs. I'm planning on taking them on like a man at around August-September time, so then in October, I have a pretty good application for the less ambitious in their will to develop House MD's med schools - and with some voluntary work, experience and a couple of medical certificates to back up my omnibenevolent approach to future patients and their animals, I hope to fulfill the goals of such unis.

Anyway, I have designed a list of chapters of each of the exams that I need to study on and so far, it looks like this:

Exam Board: edexcel

My plan for studying (maths) is as follows:
    • revise the hell out of each topic in the textbook by copying and making sense out of the examples
    • finish all the past papers and 'end of section' sets of questions in from the textbook
    • use websites to find new questions and solve them if an issue with one of the topic arises
    • destroy all past exam papers

+a bunch of stuff that I sometimes will use for revision:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Laws of indices - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjz0...YvN0Ub&index=1Use and manipulation of surds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpbj...YvN0Ub&index=2
    Solving Quadratic Equations (factorisation) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcSd...kYei4UjhYvN0Ub
    Rationalising the denominator - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpbj...YvN0Ub&index=2
    Solving quadratic equations using the quadratic formula
    Solving quadratic equations using completing the square
    Sketching quadratic functions
    The discriminant
    Simultaneous equations
    Inequalities
    Polynomials - expanding, simplifying, factorising
    Transformations of f(x) graphs
    Sketching graphs: the cubic graph
    Sketching graphs: the reciprocal graph
    Intersection between two graphs
    Working out the gradient of a straight line
    Differentation intro
    Integration
    Working out and using the gradient function
    arithmetic series
    Recurrence relations
    I am open to any suggestions on the way I should study, what resources to use and sometimes the mistakes that I make with solving problems (not necessarily mathematical : )).

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frostyy)

What exam board are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zetamcfc)
    What exam board are you doing?
    edexcel

so yesterday I finished equations and quadratic functions. today I want to complete inequalities and get some way through simultaneous equations (the topic's huge)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frostyy)
    edexcel

so yesterday I finished equations and quadratic functions. today I want to complete inequalities and get some way through simultaneous equations (the topic's huge)
    Ah ok, good luck

ReputationRep:
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...ions-by-topic/
    This website is really good for practicing maths! It has past paper questions by topic that you can work on once you finish a chapter. Really helped me improve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idkman)
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...ions-by-topic/
    This website is really good for practicing maths! It has past paper questions by topic that you can work on once you finish a chapter. Really helped me improve.
    ^^^ I went from a C in AS Maths mock to 90+UMS in the summer exams by just questions by topic and then moving on to past papers

ReputationRep:
    update: finished inequalities, half way through simultaneous equations and I plan to finish them today.

ReputationRep:
    So I decided to reinvent my approach to studying and instead of learning from solved examples, I will learn from unsolved questions by attempting them myself, only flipping a page to the worked solutions whenever my brain's capacity reaches an overload. I'm answering questions on topics 1-5 today:

-actually i just checked no im naht, left textbook in locker

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.