Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I medically pulled out of uni last year due to severe depression and anxiety and panicking in lectures- and subsequently spent time in a psychiatric hospital. The uni are holding my space but i don't think i can manage it- i dont have the concentration or drive to succeed in it. I don't feel much better than i did, but i need to keep the ball rolling and keep doing something. I thought about doing the college then uni route, but i got rejected from college because they had 68 applicants for 15 spaces.
    I don't wanna push myself into uni if i just won't manage it, but at the same time- with an apprenticeship, i feel like i might limit career progression opportunities and salary.
    What should i do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I medically pulled out of uni last year due to severe depression and anxiety and panicking in lectures- and subsequently spent time in a psychiatric hospital. The uni are holding my space but i don't think i can manage it- i dont have the concentration or drive to succeed in it. I don't feel much better than i did, but i need to keep the ball rolling and keep doing something. I thought about doing the college then uni route, but i got rejected from college because they had 68 applicants for 15 spaces.
    I don't wanna push myself into uni if i just won't manage it, but at the same time- with an apprenticeship, i feel like i might limit career progression opportunities and salary.
    What should i do?
    Hey there lovely, I'm so glad you've decided to open up and talk about what's going on! That's an insanely brave thing to do, especially when you've been through all that you have. Your drive (whatever you might say!) is so strong - you're recognising your feelings and what you've overcome, but you're keeping on keeping on, and that is three quarters of the battle, believe me. ❤

68 applicants for 15 spaces?! That's a very competitive course, and you did so well even to be shortlisted. You should be proud of that, that you managed to apply, that you got together your portfolio or wrote the essays, whatever was necessary.

There are a lot of different routes into careers, I don't know which one you are settled on, but it seems like you have a lot of options as regards ways into it: via apprenticeship, college, or higher education. You say you have no options, and I really do understand what that feels like, but I don't think that that's you talking - rather your mental health.

If you're still in contact with your uni, which it seems like you are, could you schedule a meeting with your tutor or academic advisor to discuss what help they could offer you if you do decide to go back? Disclosing mental health problems to unis mean that they can give you better academic support when you need it. Likewise, could you schedule an appointment with the careers service? You can talk over your chosen career with them, and ask what routes are available, and if indeed: going via an apprenticeship will limit your options. What about your doctors, have you spoken to them lately? They might be able to offer you their opinion on if you're ready to go back.

You display such an amazing awareness of your limits and boundaries - you speak about not wanting to push yourself, and that's another of the key battles towards getting there. You say that you're not much better than you were, but I don't think that's true. ❤ Look at how pragmatic, how career minded you are! You are strong, and amazing - you survived hospitalisation, and even if it doesn't feel like it right now - you deserve the best.

All my love,
    MissD

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.