Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was unwell while doing my A levels which resulted in crap grades. I can't retake them now because no med schools allow this. What I am wondering is whether I can I get into med school if I do well enough in an access course?

(Original post by 1lastchance)
    I was unwell while doing my A levels which resulted in crap grades. I can't retake them now because no med schools allow this. What I am wondering is whether I can I get into med school if I do well enough in an access course?
    Yup, it's definitely possible

ReputationRep:
    I've just received an offer from Southampton to study medicine and am currently doing an access course...I'm 35 and will be 36 before I start. So yes you can!

However, depending on your age, I would advise waiting until you are 21 or so, the trend seems to be that people who do the access immediately after poor a-levels, regardless of the reason, struggle to get through the application process. They want to see you've gone away and done something before you try again.

But it absolutely IS possible. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I looked on Southampton's website and it says nothing about the access course in its entry requirements, does this mean most med schools accept access courses?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Definitely!

Certain medical schools accept certain Access courses from certain college providers.

The best thing you could do is to make a shortlist of medical schools you would be interested in going to, then calling them to enquire. Continue you until you have 4 choices and know which college you need to go to for the qualification. I say this because, for example, Brighton medical school accepts the Access from Sussex Downs College, but not the one I have from The Manchester College.

As with any medical school application, play to your strengths. For example, Bristol accept the Access course I'm taking, but they have a huge emphasis on UKCAT score and an understandable preference for A-Levels as their reputation is *so* scientific. If I had recognised that before I applied, I maybe would have put down somewhere like Cardiff, who also accept my Access course, but have generally got a more flexible approach to entry criteria. The more research on this the better.

Alan's advice is very sound. Medical schools don't like Access courses as a means of polishing poor grades. Those from my course who have received interviews and subsequent offers are all over the age of 21, have been out of education for a few years and have used the years in-between to get relevant work experience (paid or voluntary) and live lives as adults for a bit - since that is who the Access course is designed for. That kind of maturity really comes through in a personal statement and interview. Don't for a moment worry about being 'too old' if you take a few years to develop this experience and character. Being a doctor ... it's a job for the rest of your life. Well, more than that, it's a vocation. It will be your life. There is no hurry.

(Original post by Fleuves)

The best thing you could do is to make a shortlist of medical schools you would be interested in going to, then calling them to enquire. Continue you until you have 4 choices and know which college you need to go to for the qualification. I say this because, for example, Brighton medical school accepts the Access from Sussex Downs College, but not the one I have from The Manchester College.

As with any medical school application, play to your strengths. For example, Bristol accept the Access course I'm taking, but they have a huge emphasis on UKCAT score and an understandable preference for A-Levels as their reputation is *so* scientific. If I had recognised that before I applied, I maybe would have put down somewhere like Cardiff, who also accept my Access course, but have generally got a more flexible approach to entry criteria. The more research on this the better.

Alan's advice is very sound. Medical schools don't like Access courses as a means of polishing poor grades. Those from my course who have received interviews and subsequent offers are all over the age of 21, have been out of education for a few years and have used the years in-between to get relevant work experience (paid or voluntary) and live lives as adults for a bit - since that is who the Access course is designed for. That kind of maturity really comes through in a personal statement and interview. Don't for a moment worry about being 'too old' if you take a few years to develop this experience and character. Being a doctor ... it's a job for the rest of your life. Well, more than that, it's a vocation. It will be your life. There is no hurry.
    Fantastic advice

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.