Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If i get 70 raw marks in Edexcel mathematics higher will i get an A on my report card or will i get like a B? Because in UMS 70% is a B. So is my grade measured in raw or ums marks? Please help I'm really stressing over this.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by AliNaqvi:D)
    If i get 70 raw marks in Edexcel mathematics higher will i get an A on my report card or will i get like a B? Because in UMS 70% is a B. So is my grade measured in raw or ums marks? Please help I'm really stressing over this.
    Your grade is calculated from UMS; an A is 80% UMS, a B is 70% UMS etc. It's impossible to know what raw mark will be worth an A before the exam but you can look at past conversions on the Edexcel website, they have a useful excel document that converts raw to UMS for previous exam papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Your grade is calculated from UMS; an A is 80% UMS, a B is 70% UMS etc. It's impossible to know what raw mark will be worth an A before the exam but you can look at past conversions on the Edexcel website, they have a useful excel document that converts raw to UMS for previous exam papers.
    Wait, how does it work? In the grade boundaries 65/100 I'd usually an A, so if i get 65/100 raw marks ill be getting a B or a C?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wait, how does it work? In the grade boundaries 65/100 I'd usually an A, so if i get 65/100 raw marks ill be getting a B or a C?
    What? No, if the A boundary is 65/100 raw marks and you get 65/100 then you'll get an A... unless I'm misunderstanding your question.

65/100 sounds quite low for an A boundary in a GCSE Maths exam though...

ReputationRep:
    What? No, if the A boundary is 65/100 raw marks and you get 65/100 then you'll get an A... unless I'm misunderstanding your question.

65/100 sounds quite low for an A boundary in a GCSE Maths exam though...
    Sorry about the massive link :P

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ZFyqApqetGuh9Q

It says 59/100 for an A. I just did the past paper and got 68 marks, that means an A?
    Thank btw, you're the only one who answered

ReputationRep:
    The UMS boundaries are always 80% - A, 70%-B etc etc. However, the raw mark boundaries aren't always that way for example, a mark of 67\100 last year in AQA biology unit 5 would ge you an A*. So the raw mark boundary would be 67% for an A* whereas the UMS boundary is still 90%. I think this is what you were asking haha
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Sorry about the massive link :P

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ZFyqApqetGuh9Q

It says 59/100 for an A. I just did the past paper and got 68 marks, that means an A?
    Thank btw, you're the only one who answered
    Oh fair enough, I think the IGCSE grade boundaries are lower than the GCSE grade boundaries. So yes, 68 marks would be an A in that paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    The UMS boundaries are always 80% - A, 70%-B etc etc. However, the raw mark boundaries aren't always that way for example, a mark of 67\100 last year in AQA biology unit 5 would ge you an A*. So the raw mark boundary would be 67% for an A* whereas the UMS boundary is still 90%. I think this is what you were asking haha
    Ahh. So they scale the grade boundaries to fit like 80% for an A. If so what's the point of using UMS? Thanks man i was stressing thinking i needed 90% to get an A even though the grade boundaries for an A is usually 60%. Gosh im dumb.

ReputationRep:
    Oh fair enough, I think the IGCSE grade boundaries are lower than the GCSE grade boundaries. So yes, 68 marks would be an A in that paper.
    Alright thanks man REALLY appreciate the help. I owe you big time

ReputationRep:
    Wait, so if I get 45/60 or 47/60 or 50/60 and say 45/60 was an A*, in UMS would they all be 90% UMS. So despite the raw mark, all marks at A* are 90% UMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adzkii786)
    Wait, so if I get 45/60 or 47/60 or 50/60 and say 45/60 was an A*, in UMS would they all be 90% UMS. So despite the raw mark, all marks at A* are 90% UMS?
    I'd suppose so.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suppose so.
    Is this consistent for all subjects (aqa gcse science, frenchm english? Thanks for replying
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Adzkii786)
    Is this consistent for all subjects (aqa gcse science, frenchm english? Thanks for replying
    An A* is always 90% UMS (at GCSE, anyway). What raw mark this scales to depends on the individual paper.

ReputationRep:
    An A* is always 90% UMS (at GCSE, anyway). What raw mark this scales to depends on the individual paper.
    Quick question, what's the point of UMS? Why not just show your raw marks?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Quick question, what's the point of UMS? Why not just show your raw marks?
    It's impossible to make every exam paper just as hard. Say one year 10% of students get over 90 marks but the next year only 2% get more than 90 marks; clearly, the second year's paper was harder so it would be unfair to keep the grade boundary at the same place. So raw marks are scaled into UMS marks to adjust for variations in difficulties between paper. That way, even though a given mark doesn't necessarily represent the same level of achievement in every exam paper, a given UMS mark does (at least, in principle).

ReputationRep:
    Linear qualifications do not require UMS
    UMS is only necessary for modular qualifications to standardise unit results that may be combined from different exam sessions.

Linear qualifications like maths GCSE award grades based on raw mark boundaries.
    After the exams are marked and analysed the examiners decide what minimum number of raw marks are required for each grade. The boundaries change for each exam.

If you have been tested with a past paper your teachers can report the grade using the published boundaries for that specific exam. If they have used a paper that has never been used for real exams they will use whatever boundaries they see fit and you will have to ask them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Linear qualifications do not require UMS
    UMS is only necessary for modular qualifications to standardise unit results that may be combined from different exam sessions.

Linear qualifications like maths GCSE award grades based on raw mark boundaries.
    After the exams are marked and analysed the examiners decide what minimum number of raw marks are required for each grade. The boundaries change for each exam.

If you have been tested with a past paper your teachers can report the grade using the published boundaries for that specific exam. If they have used a paper that has never been used for real exams they will use whatever boundaries they see fit and you will have to ask them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So it's not applicable to me? Im doing Edexcel IGSCE Higher (4MA0) it's linear for sure, you're tested at the end and there's no coursework.

ReputationRep:
    So it's not applicable to me? Im doing Edexcel IGSCE Higher (4MA0) it's linear for sure, you're tested at the end and there's no coursework.
    Edexcel igcse maths does not use ums

For an explanation of how papers are marked and graded
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...nd-grades.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.