?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Helpp me please!!!
SubZero~
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think it matters. Normally when I finish my workouts I have mine.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
After is ideal, but doesn't really matter if you have it before. Just make sure you have an adequate amount throughout the day
Rainbownightlock
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Many people speak from "bro science" and say that there's an "anabolic window" after a workout, but in reality as long as there's useable protein hanging about in your body then it doesn't matter when you drink one.

I personally like to have mine after my workout because it makes me feel refreshed.
Supersaps
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
After is best. Before is good.

If you're bulking, I would go with before and after.
nurajama
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i would suggest you to have it afterwards as the point of protein is to adapt, grow and repair muscles after a workout. having it before makes me feel sick
KyleH123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nurajama)
i would suggest you to have it afterwards as the point of protein is to adapt, grow and repair muscles after a workout. having it before makes me feel sick
Mimic nature! No food until after the hunt, the hunt requires you to use that muscle and energy! Then FEAST
Xenon17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have it both times. Problem solved.
Angry cucumber
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tutorscience)
Helpp me please!!!
It doesn't matter. After is convention, but it just doesn't matter in reality
SmashConcept
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by KyleH123)
Mimic nature! No food until after the hunt, the hunt requires you to use that muscle and energy! Then FEAST
I mean I'm pretty sure we've been preserving food since around the time we discovered fire sooooo.........
UWS
  • Very Important Poster
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Personally don't think it matters. All down to preference.

I usually have it after a workout
XxKingSniprxX
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Helpp me please!!!
It doesn't even matter dude. What matters in the end is your total caloric intakes + if your hitting your macros
etc.

Knowledge = key to gains!

Last edited by XxKingSniprxX; 2 years ago
nase14_aldayz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Whatever fits in with the rest of your eating routine. I've recently changed my gym times due to work, so have a shake before the workout. Then I'll eat my lunch followed by a snack after the workout. Best to keep your meals, snacks, shakes nicely spaced out throughout the day, so bear that in mind.
Butternuts96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Doesn't matter although most people say after is best; I have my shake before for that bit of energy and I have a good meal afterwards. Main thing is just to hit your protein target for the day.
Laurasaur
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
From a biological point of view, protein can be respired during a work out, so it's likely that a greater proportion of it would be used for energy (rather than growth and repair) if consumed before working out compared with after working out.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I like to get a fast-ingesting source straight after, which whey is. having it before would make me feel sick :lol: In general, though, the post-workout anabolic window is nonsense - it's been shown that 3-4 hours after training a muscle, its rate of protein synthesis is increased by around 150% of its normal rate, whereas 24 hours after training it the rate of protein synthesis will be around 200%. So the muscle is in a more anabolic state 24 hours later than it is straight after. I believe that replenishing glycogen quickly allows for a more efficient recovery process than replenishing proteins quickly and tend to drink high GI carbs during and after my workout.
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Helpp me please!!!
back in the days I used to train it was after ... although I used to drink shakes throughout the day it was never before
999tigger
  • Very Important Poster
Report 2 years ago
Overall protein during the day is more important.
Imo its better to eat your protein and supplements are exactly that a supplement to help you reach a protein goal where you havent made it with normal food.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (769)
90.36%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (82)
9.64%

Watched Threads