Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should you drink your protein before or after workout? HELP!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Helpp me please!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it matters. Normally when I finish my workouts I have mine.

ReputationRep:
    After is ideal, but doesn't really matter if you have it before. Just make sure you have an adequate amount throughout the day

ReputationRep:
    Many people speak from "bro science" and say that there's an "anabolic window" after a workout, but in reality as long as there's useable protein hanging about in your body then it doesn't matter when you drink one.

I personally like to have mine after my workout because it makes me feel refreshed.

ReputationRep:
    After is best. Before is good.

If you're bulking, I would go with before and after.

ReputationRep:
    i would suggest you to have it afterwards as the point of protein is to adapt, grow and repair muscles after a workout. having it before makes me feel sick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nurajama)
    i would suggest you to have it afterwards as the point of protein is to adapt, grow and repair muscles after a workout. having it before makes me feel sick
    Mimic nature! No food until after the hunt, the hunt requires you to use that muscle and energy! Then FEAST

ReputationRep:
    Have it both times. Problem solved.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tutorscience)
    Helpp me please!!!
    It doesn't matter. After is convention, but it just doesn't matter in reality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    Mimic nature! No food until after the hunt, the hunt requires you to use that muscle and energy! Then FEAST
    I mean I'm pretty sure we've been preserving food since around the time we discovered fire sooooo.........
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Personally don't think it matters. All down to preference.

I usually have it after a workout

ReputationRep:
    Helpp me please!!!
    It doesn't even matter dude. What matters in the end is your total caloric intakes + if your hitting your macros
    etc.

Knowledge = key to gains!

ReputationRep:
    Whatever fits in with the rest of your eating routine. I've recently changed my gym times due to work, so have a shake before the workout. Then I'll eat my lunch followed by a snack after the workout. Best to keep your meals, snacks, shakes nicely spaced out throughout the day, so bear that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter although most people say after is best; I have my shake before for that bit of energy and I have a good meal afterwards. Main thing is just to hit your protein target for the day.

ReputationRep:
    From a biological point of view, protein can be respired during a work out, so it's likely that a greater proportion of it would be used for energy (rather than growth and repair) if consumed before working out compared with after working out.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I like to get a fast-ingesting source straight after, which whey is. having it before would make me feel sick :lol: In general, though, the post-workout anabolic window is nonsense - it's been shown that 3-4 hours after training a muscle, its rate of protein synthesis is increased by around 150% of its normal rate, whereas 24 hours after training it the rate of protein synthesis will be around 200%. So the muscle is in a more anabolic state 24 hours later than it is straight after. I believe that replenishing glycogen quickly allows for a more efficient recovery process than replenishing proteins quickly and tend to drink high GI carbs during and after my workout.

ReputationRep:
    Helpp me please!!!
    back in the days I used to train it was after ... although I used to drink shakes throughout the day it was never before
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Overall protein during the day is more important.
    Imo its better to eat your protein and supplements are exactly that a supplement to help you reach a protein goal where you havent made it with normal food.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 13, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.