Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I have been meaning to start eating healthy and start exercising at a daily basis for a long time and I do it for couple of weeks and then I stop and just eat and eat and eat
    I can't really go to gym because usually I have so much homework to do and during weekends I am just so tired , sometimes my family likes to go out so :\

I am pretty short like 4'11 (16 years old) and I am too heavy for my weight , heavy as in above 60kg
    I just want to get over those little mini sessions of working out and then start like a good daily plan that fits with my everyday life .

Do you have any recommendations/ advice ?
    Tahnks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Find a motivation and something you actually enjoy doing. If you combine the two, you're onto a winner. Try new things whether than lifting weights to martial arts to swimming.

ReputationRep:
    Like the above guy mentioned ! Weight lifting ! It's good for weight loss and muscle gain at the same time. However if you choose to do this , don't weigh yourself it'll say you're heavier , only because you're building muscle.
    I don't know if it applied to women as much as men , I build muscle fast but at the same time I can put on fat fast.
    I'm in the same boat as you lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tone It Up have a youtube channel with workouts that are around 15 minutes and they are perfect for fitting into a study break and you can do them in your bedroom. The way that the videos are filmed on the beach and the girls in the videos talk to you make working out less intimidating and more chilled out. They also have a website. It's what I use because its free, quick and genuinely effective. There are also forums on there where you can talk to others doing the same thing. There are also a bunch of cute and simple recipes on there. I would definitely suggest checking it out. They have an app too and a weekly schedule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Find a motivation and something you actually enjoy doing. If you combine the two, you're onto a winner. Try new things whether than lifting weights to martial arts to swimming.
    I have been trying to but sometimes its just too much , but thankyou anyways xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez231)
    Like the above guy mentioned ! Weight lifting ! It's good for weight loss and muscle gain at the same time. However if you choose to do this , don't weigh yourself it'll say you're heavier , only because you're building muscle.
    I don't know if it applied to women as much as men , I build muscle fast but at the same time I can put on fat fast.
    I'm in the same boat as you lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I will try that ^~^

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes do workouts on XHIT Daily on youtube there are so many different ones so you should find a few you can do/enjoy doing. Trying to lose weight too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eabtahi)
    Tone It Up have a youtube channel with workouts that are around 15 minutes and they are perfect for fitting into a study break and you can do them in your bedroom. The way that the videos are filmed on the beach and the girls in the videos talk to you make working out less intimidating and more chilled out. They also have a website. It's what I use because its free, quick and genuinely effective. There are also forums on there where you can talk to others doing the same thing. There are also a bunch of cute and simple recipes on there. I would definitely suggest checking it out. They have an app too and a weekly schedule.
    That's really cool! I will look into it right now xD

ReputationRep:
    You'll have a lot more success if you focus on your diet as opposed to exercise. Exercise is great and good for you and will give you a boost, but weight loss 80% diet as it's a lot easier to not eat that 300 calories snack than it is to burn it off.

Firstly you need to find a new coping mechanism for stress or boredom or whatever else is making you over eat, you said sometimes you "eat and eat and eat". That's a behaviour you need to figure out and change. Because you can do all the working out you like but if you're eating over your calorific needs when you eat like that you're not going lose any weight.

First Work out your TDEE:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html

Your TDEE is the amount of calories you body needs per day to maintain its current weight. It is dependant on your height, age, weight, gender, activity level and in some cases medical conditions. Now if you're exercising this will raise your TDEE so be sure to pick the correct activity level, but remember to be honest with yourself. Don't pick a high activity level if you're only exercising 3 times a week for half an hour, that little exercise won't raise your TDEE that much and if you're unsure it's probably better to pick the lower activity level when trying to lose weight.

The logistics of weight loss are very simple, if you eat less calories than your body burns in a day you will lose weight, if you eat on par with your calorific needs you will maintain weight and if you eat above your calorific needs you gain weight. Ignore anyone telling you to go on ridiculous detoxes, telling you to cut out entire food groups (such as carbs, fats ect) or fad diets, and if you have a habit of doing those then stop it. They're pointless, don't work and are the lazy mans way out. Weight loss logistically is simple, so don't overcomplicate it or get sucked into fads and obsessive weight loss nonsense such as "fat burning foods" they're nonsense and lead people to failure.

once you have your TDEE all you need to do to ensure you lose weight is eat under that amount of calories. How much and how quickly you lose weight depends on how many less calories you eat. For example if you eat 500 calories less than your TDEE a day you will lose approximately 1lb a week (as 1lb of fat is approximately 3500 calories, 3500/500 = 7 days).

Don't be discouraged if you find some weeks you don't see the scale go down, sometimes you will see the scale go down a massive jump, sometimes steady and others nothing at all. Also be aware a fluctuation in a couple of lbs is perfectly normal (especially for women around the time of their monthly cycle) this is fluid not fat.

You should count your calories on www.myfitnesspal.com it's quick and easy. Be sure to be accurate when counting your calories, and don't forget things like sauces, drinks and oil when cooking these are things people often forget to count but can make a big calorific difference. If after 4-6 weeks you haven't seen a shift in the scales you're either not counting your calories accurately and are eating more than you think or you're not at a big enough deficit (remember TDEE is no 100% accurate but it is a good start) so reduce your calories by another couple of hundred calories and reassess in another 4-6 weeks.

In terms of diet, what food you eat has little to no affect on weight loss. It's the calories. However you should aim to eat a balanced diet not just for health reasons but also for satiation and to keep you sane.

Remember not to throw yourself in at the deep end or torture yourself with calorie goals that are too strict, because you will be miserable and you will almost certainly give up. You didn't get to this weight over night, so don't expect to reach your goal over night either.

If you find yourself plateauing in weight loss after losing quite a bit of weight that is likely because the less you weigh the lower your TDEE so you may no longer be in a large enough calorie deficit to keep maintaining your steady weight loss at the same amount of calories. So through your weight loss journey keep checking your TDEE and adjusting your calorific intake accordingly.

Once you have reached your weight loss goal (and you will) recalculate your TDEE as it will be lower. Eat that amount of calories a day on average and you will maintain your weight. As remember you can't just go back to eating as much as you did before, you got to this weight for a reason.

As you can see from this (probably too long) post weight loss is logistically very simple, it's sticking to it that is hard. If you're going to do this you're going to have to put your all into it, it is a lifestyle change and not a diet you have to leave your excuses at the door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    You'll have a lot more success if you focus on your diet as opposed to exercise. Exercise is great and good for you and will give you a boost, but weight loss 80% diet as it's a lot easier to not eat that 300 calories snack than it is to burn it off.

Firstly you need to find a new coping mechanism for stress or boredom or whatever else is making you over eat, you said sometimes you "eat and eat and eat". That's a behaviour you need to figure out and change. Because you can do all the working out you like but if you're eating over your calorific needs when you eat like that you're not going lose any weight.

First Work out your TDEE:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html

Your TDEE is the amount of calories you body needs per day to maintain its current weight. It is dependant on your height, age, weight, gender, activity level and in some cases medical conditions. Now if you're exercising this will raise your TDEE so be sure to pick the correct activity level, but remember to be honest with yourself. Don't pick a high activity level if you're only exercising 3 times a week for half an hour, that little exercise won't raise your TDEE that much and if you're unsure it's probably better to pick the lower activity level when trying to lose weight.

The logistics of weight loss are very simple, if you eat less calories than your body burns in a day you will lose weight, if you eat on par with your calorific needs you will maintain weight and if you eat above your calorific needs you gain weight. Ignore anyone telling you to go on ridiculous detoxes, telling you to cut out entire food groups (such as carbs, fats ect) or fad diets, and if you have a habit of doing those then stop it. They're pointless, don't work and are the lazy mans way out. Weight loss logistically is simple, so don't overcomplicate it or get sucked into fads and obsessive weight loss nonsense such as "fat burning foods" they're nonsense and lead people to failure.

once you have your TDEE all you need to do to ensure you lose weight is eat under that amount of calories. How much and how quickly you lose weight depends on how many less calories you eat. For example if you eat 500 calories less than your TDEE a day you will lose approximately 1lb a week (as 1lb of fat is approximately 3500 calories, 3500/500 = 7 days).

Don't be discouraged if you find some weeks you don't see the scale go down, sometimes you will see the scale go down a massive jump, sometimes steady and others nothing at all. Also be aware a fluctuation in a couple of lbs is perfectly normal (especially for women around the time of their monthly cycle) this is fluid not fat.

You should count your calories on www.myfitnesspal.com it's quick and easy. Be sure to be accurate when counting your calories, and don't forget things like sauces, drinks and oil when cooking these are things people often forget to count but can make a big calorific difference. If after 4-6 weeks you haven't seen a shift in the scales you're either not counting your calories accurately and are eating more than you think or you're not at a big enough deficit (remember TDEE is no 100% accurate but it is a good start) so reduce your calories by another couple of hundred calories and reassess in another 4-6 weeks.

In terms of diet, what food you eat has little to no affect on weight loss. It's the calories. However you should aim to eat a balanced diet not just for health reasons but also for satiation and to keep you sane.

Remember not to throw yourself in at the deep end or torture yourself with calorie goals that are too strict, because you will be miserable and you will almost certainly give up. You didn't get to this weight over night, so don't expect to reach your goal over night either.

If you find yourself plateauing in weight loss after losing quite a bit of weight that is likely because the less you weigh the lower your TDEE so you may no longer be in a large enough calorie deficit to keep maintaining your steady weight loss at the same amount of calories. So through your weight loss journey keep checking your TDEE and adjusting your calorific intake accordingly.

Once you have reached your weight loss goal (and you will) recalculate your TDEE as it will be lower. Eat that amount of calories a day on average and you will maintain your weight. As remember you can't just go back to eating as much as you did before, you got to this weight for a reason.

As you can see from this (probably too long) post weight loss is logistically very simple, it's sticking to it that is hard. If you're going to do this you're going to have to put your all into it, it is a lifestyle change and not a diet you have to leave your excuses at the door.
    Thankyou so much! I have tried Fitnesspal before and I find it really helpful, and as you said it is about the lifestyle change and I guess I am just too impatient. I really want to lose weight but I don't know if its enough I start from today and then see how it goes. Thanks again ^-^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxKristenxx)
    I sometimes do workouts on XHIT Daily on youtube there are so many different ones so you should find a few you can do/enjoy doing. Trying to lose weight too
    I use fitness blender and I wish you luck xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorobun)
    Thankyou so much! I have tried Fitnesspal before and I find it really helpful, and as you said it is about the lifestyle change and I guess I am just too impatient. I really want to lose weight but I don't know if its enough I start from today and then see how it goes. Thanks again ^-^
    Just remember the changes you make have to be something you can stick to. Wanting to lose weight won't be enough if you're always giving up and being impatient. Until you can learn to be more patient and stick to your goals you will continue to fail at losing weight, as harsh as it sounds you need to stop making excuses for yourself because it's not helping you and the longer you keep at it the harder it's going to be to change.

You're only 16 so you absolutely can change, your behaviours are not set in stone. Don't look back in 10 years time wondering how you got to 80kg when you knew exactly how to lose weight but instead kept giving up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Just remember the changes you make have to be something you can stick to. Wanting to lose weight won't be enough if you're always giving up and being impatient. Until you can learn to be more patient and stick to your goals you will continue to fail at losing weight, as harsh as it sounds you need to stop making excuses for yourself because it's not helping you and the longer you keep at it the harder it's going to be to change.

You're only 16 so you absolutely can change, your behaviours are not set in stone. Don't look back in 10 years time wondering how you got to 80kg when you new exactly how to lose weight but instead kept giving up.
    Thanks your amazing! x what you said is just going to stick in my head now xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorobun)
    Thanks your amazing! x what you said is just going to stick in my head now xD
    haha no problem, let me know if you need any more harsh words

ReputationRep:
    lose weight by doing exercise daily and walks in morning daily.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.