?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Making the thread for it now.
TSREconomics
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Been revising ECON3 for the past few days. Gonna finish Monopolies, Oligopolies and Perfect Competition by tonight hopefully. Worked out an essay structure too to maximise marks. I've been summarising my points and focusing on my exam technique as much as possible. The only struggle with Economics is the amount of information you need to remember.

How's it going for you? You wanna share notes/discussions? I'm hopefully aiming for A* (>95%) - although a lot of the marking can be subjective because it's an essay subject. Here goes nothing.
Unbroken Oath
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I always end up rambling on in my essays! :cry2: Need to focus on ECON3 past papers.

ECON4 is basically Unit 2 AS Economics with some extra factors/information, so I'm not too worried.

(Original post by TSREconomics)
Been revising ECON3 for the past few days. Gonna finish Monopolies, Oligopolies and Perfect Competition by tonight hopefully.
Market structures should be fairly straight forward. Make sure you can evaluate for and against each one in detail and bring up some good examples.
keynes24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TSREconomics)
Been revising ECON3 for the past few days. Gonna finish Monopolies, Oligopolies and Perfect Competition by tonight hopefully. Worked out an essay structure too to maximise marks. I've been summarising my points and focusing on my exam technique as much as possible. The only struggle with Economics is the amount of information you need to remember.

How's it going for you? You wanna share notes/discussions? I'm hopefully aiming for A* (>95%) - although a lot of the marking can be subjective because it's an essay subject. Here goes nothing.
I think it is more like a long answer question rather than an essay which is what you would do at university. Examiners will usually the correct level
and marks are likely to vary within the same level.
JT0121
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have no idea about exam technique!! i get close to full marks in the other questions but can get higher than a B, would you mind sharing your technique with me please?
High Stakes
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
(Original post by JT0121)
I have no idea about exam technique!! i get close to full marks in the other questions but can get higher than a B, would you mind sharing your technique with me please?
Having a good plan to outline your chain of reasoning is key! Also make sure to include at least 2 graphs in your 25 markers!
High Stakes
Rep:
?
There's so much to memorise ugh.
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've been slyly trying to avoid these exam threads because it's getting a bit manic atm.. Really just need to cut myself off from the internet If I'm going to survive these 16 exams lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BBeyond
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by High Stakes)
There's so much to memorise ugh.
Really? I swear it's the same as unit 1 with like 5 more diagrams lol
High Stakes
Rep:
?
(Original post by BBeyond)
Really? I swear it's the same as unit 1 with like 5 more diagrams lol
I need >95%. That's my target. I need to be able to come up with 3-4 solid chains of reasoning for any topic in the book, with evaluation! Plus, monopolies, natural monopolies, oligopolies, perfect competition, contestable markets, monopsonies are all new concepts at A2. Didn't encounter them at all for AS!
BBeyond
Report 4 years ago
I need >95%. That's my target. I need to be able to come up with 3-4 solid chains of reasoning for any topic in the book, with evaluation! Plus, monopolies, natural monopolies, oligopolies, perfect competition, contestable markets, monopsonies are all new concepts at A2. Didn't encounter them at all for AS!
Manz going for the 400/400 Fair enough but I'd say quite a lot of economics is just using your common sense you can normally blag a few solid chains of reasoning. Monopolies, natural monopolies and contestable markets are in AS as well?
High Stakes
Rep:
?
Manz going for the 400/400 Fair enough but I'd say quite a lot of economics is just using your common sense you can normally blag a few solid chains of reasoning. Monopolies, natural monopolies and contestable markets are in AS as well?
Really? I didn't study them at all lol. Lucky no questions on them came up and I managed to get an A.

What are you aiming for, and is it needed for your uni course?
BBeyond
Report 4 years ago
Really? I didn't study them at all lol. Lucky no questions on them came up and I managed to get an A.

What are you aiming for, and is it needed for your uni course?
I think they were but I could be wrong, I'm sure a question on monopoly came up in unit 1 last year.

I'm going for full marks, only need an A but got it last year so may as well try again. Only need an A (LSE econ), hbu?
High Stakes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
I've been slyly trying to avoid these exam threads because it's getting a bit manic atm.. Really just need to cut myself off from the internet If I'm going to survive these 16 exams lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trust me, this Easter holiday I will have my phone hidden somewhere I don't know and I'm gonna be quarantined till it's over. Hopefully I don't get hooked on caffeine like last time.

Maths should be alright tbh. Past papers every day.

I think they were but I could be wrong, I'm sure a question on monopoly came up in unit 1 last year.

I'm going for full marks, only need an A but got it last year so may as well try again. Only need an A (LSE econ), hbu?
Now that I think back, I think one did. I probably picked the other context and avoided it lol.

Sweet same as me. Aiming for the A*. Always looks good on a future CV. Good job on the LSE offer. Economics ay? Would I be mistaken in saying that you're aiming for a career in banking/finance? Or are you going in for the academia? So rare to see any economics applicants that want to stay in and research.

I can't talk much either. I'm doing a Chemistry degree though, but planning on going into finance once I finish. I have an offer from Warwick (solid target check).
BBeyond
Report 4 years ago

Now that I think back, I think one did. I probably picked the other context and avoided it lol.

Sweet same as me. Aiming for the A*. Always looks good on a future CV. Good job on the LSE offer. Economics ay? Would I be mistaken in saying that you're aiming for a career in banking/finance? Or are you going in for the academia? So rare to see any economics applicants that want to stay in and research.

I can't talk much either. I'm doing a Chemistry degree though, but planning on going into finance once I finish. I have an offer from Warwick (solid target check).
Can't blame you if you were never taught it ahah bit of a shambles from your school though

Yea straight economics, cheers man Ahaha yea aiming for IB (no prizes for guessing that though ) Personally couldn't see myself on the academic side of the subject, I guess most applicants are just motivated by that sweet £££.

Chemistry degree????? **** that chem A2 destroys my soul Warwick is a solid uni for going into finance so you're basically sorted there, I would have gone there had I not got an LSE offer but they're probs on par anyway tbh
hanniej
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
anybody have any guesses?
Nicole_Streakyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What should we be revising the hardest right now ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (65)
12.17%
Virtual campus tours/open days (129)
24.16%
Live streaming events (46)
8.61%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.74%
A uni comparison tool (124)
23.22%
An in-person event when available (118)
22.1%