Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My GCSEs are incredibly soon, only a couple months away and I am panicking! I aim to get all A's and A*'s but I'm terrified that I might not get those grades. Right now, I'm not so confident on how to achieve my targets and I don't know how to revise with a focused mindset. I usually start revision but get distracted after doing two subjects. Is there anything I can do to secure my grades and not worry/panic about GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    Are you naturally smart? (getting B/A without revision in topic tests/mock exams)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    Are you naturally smart? (getting B/A without revision in topic tests/mock exams)
    i wish i could be that species

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    i wish i could be that species
    I have my own worries, without revision Cambridge will laugh at my application

ReputationRep:
    I have my own worries, without revision Cambridge will laugh at my application

i am really so jealous of those people who get straight Bs and As without revision and i am the one who revise all the time and hardly achieve a B grade

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'd say that a gradual build-up of revision is the best sort of way to go. It lasts longer in your head, unless you've got crap memory like me. In which case, my go-to guides are flashcards and usage of past-papers. (Although I am doing the new spec for Maths and English and ggghghghghgh.)

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeerabBieber)
    My GCSEs are incredibly soon, only a couple months away and I am panicking! I aim to get all A's and A*'s but I'm terrified that I might not get those grades. Right now, I'm not so confident on how to achieve my targets and I don't know how to revise with a focused mindset. I usually start revision but get distracted after doing two subjects. Is there anything I can do to secure my grades and not worry/panic about GCSE's?
    Please do not worry so much about your grades- Yes GCSE right now is hard but by worrying your making yourself more stressed. To maintain a grade, create a timetable/routine and stick to it- yes the most common thing- a timetable. Trust me it works, I had to deal with balancing 3/4 subjects but if you utilise your time wisely. for example doing 45 minutes for each topic then you will be able to retain information more effectively. Reading is another effective revision technique- especially for GCSE, PAST PAPERS- they're your best friend, once your confident with your topics, attempt a past paper and mark it afterwards. See how much you got wrong and right. Shut of all electronics- this is hard but for example keep electronics in a locker or give them to your parents if you do not need them. The night before make a plan and stick to hit. CGP Books are amazing, buy them, read them and answer the questions. Good luck and trust me you will get those A's:party:

Spoiler:
    Show
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3487371

This is a link to one of the articles for revision study tips for A level kids but it may help you- make sure you read it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalsoomb)
    Please do not worry so much about your grades- Yes GCSE right now is hard but by worrying your making yourself more stressed. To maintain a grade, create a timetable/routine and stick to it- yes the most common thing- a timetable. Trust me it works, I had to deal with balancing 3/4 subjects but if you utilise your time wisely. for example doing 45 minutes for each topic then you will be able to retain information more effectively. Reading is another effective revision technique- especially for GCSE, PAST PAPERS- they're your best friend, once your confident with your topics, attempt a past paper and mark it afterwards. See how much you got wrong and right. Shut of all electronics- this is hard but for example keep electronics in a locker or give them to your parents if you do not need them. The night before make a plan and stick to hit. CGP Books are amazing, buy them, read them and answer the questions. Good luck and trust me you will get those A's:party:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3487371

This is a link to one of the articles for revision study tips for A level kids but it may help you- make sure you read it
    Thank you so much! That is really helpful. Although, I have made a revision timetable but my biggest problem is sticking to it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, somewhat, except for one subject which I need to put a lot of effort in to even scrape a B.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! That is really helpful. Although, I have made a revision timetable but my biggest problem is sticking to it.
    Maybe move some stuff around then. If you can try and put subjects you don't like on days with subjects you don't mind as much, and then you can sort of alternate between the stuff you don't like much and the ones you do. Personally I never made timetables as I'm naturally fairly lazy so I would rather revise say chemistry if i felt like it than feel forced to 'revise' RE say and do nothing productive, but if you do that be careful not to leave out things

ReputationRep:
    Wait till you get to A-Levels LOL

ReputationRep:
    I've lost all motivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amahmoud0129)
    Wait till you get to A-Levels LOL
    Spoiler:
    Show

There isn't much to expand on beyond what Kasoomb has said, but the best advice is to not let yourself get stressed out to the point where you're miserable. You'll probably disregard this, but believe me when I say how important it is that you leave time for yourself. Whether it's to pursue a hobby, or go to a party, or just relax. If you're in the kind of headspace where all you can think of is school, then your grades are going to suffer.

In regards to getting distracted when revising and not sticking to a timetable, don't force yourself. Once you feel your attention slipping away, take a break. Grab a snack, read a chapter of a book, go for a wander around your neighbourhood for ten minutes, whatever works for you! Even if it means taking a break every fifteen minutes or so. That's another key point actually; numerous studies have found that your brain works more efficiently by revising for short periods (20-30 minutes) and then taking short breaks in-between.

In the end, just don't be afraid to try a variety of different techniques because different things suit different people. There's no perfect way to revise, and if there is then I've certainly never found it. You've just got to find what works for you, and don't be afraid to experiment to find it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dear_Rhian)
    Spoiler:
    Show

There isn't much to expand on beyond what Kasoomb has said, but the best advice is to not let yourself get stressed out to the point where you're miserable. You'll probably disregard this, but believe me when I say how important it is that you leave time for yourself. Whether it's to pursue a hobby, or go to a party, or just relax. If you're in the kind of headspace where all you can think of is school, then your grades are going to suffer.

In regards to getting distracted when revising and not sticking to a timetable, don't force yourself. Once you feel your attention slipping away, take a break. Grab a snack, read a chapter of a book, go for a wander around your neighbourhood for ten minutes, whatever works for you! Even if it means taking a break every fifteen minutes or so. That's another key point actually; numerous studies have found that your brain works more efficiently by revising for short periods (20-30 minutes) and then taking short breaks in-between.

In the end, just don't be afraid to try a variety of different techniques because different things suit different people. There's no perfect way to revise, and if there is then I've certainly never found it. You've just got to find what works for you, and don't be afraid to experiment to find it!
    Totally true, thank you for agreeing. I was once doing GCSE'S and it was probably the most stressful time in my life, but remember as many have mentioned before do take a break because if you don't you will become overworked and probably burnt out- so please take care of your health. Talking from experience you do NOT need to stress yourself - regarding the timetable you don't need to follow it straight away- ease into the timetable. so you may decide on Saturday to do only four hours of revision, 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening- 45/50 minutes each to a topic. then slowly increase your hours effectively revising for the right amount of time and having an equivalent break too. Good luck and take care, if there are any questions regarding GCSE you want to ask feel free to do so. And even if you don't get that A*/A it's okay- getting a B/C is good too. Students these day including me set up really high standards for ourself and the pressure from school increasing our target grades adds to the stress and so we feel the need to achieve something that we may be struggling to achieve. I would suggest take baby steps to improving on a grade and once you reach your goal- look at what questions or answers give the extra 3/5 marks to get that A/A*. Good luck and trust me we all have faith in you and you will pass no matter what- sometimes good motivation from others helps- have fun!- after the exams lol.:flower2::groovy::party2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.