Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Si je ne l'avais pas travaillé là, je ne l'aurais pas appris beaucoup d'être dédié et organisé. En général, il était grand, mais les heures étaient si longtemps, je l'avais à peine rentré chez lui avant qu'il ne faisait sombre .

I was trying to say...
    If I had not worked there, I would not have learned a lot about being dedicated and organized. In general, it was great, but the hours were so long, I had hardly returned home before it was getting dark.

Also I wa trying to incorporate the pluperfect tense in this...is there any in here.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    FrenchUnicorn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zara_ruby)
    Si je ne l'avais pas travaillé là, je ne l'aurais pas appris beaucoup d'être dédié et organisé. En général, il était grand, mais les heures étaient si longtemps, je l'avais à peine rentré chez lui avant qu'il ne faisait sombre .

I was trying to say...
    If I had not worked there, I would not have learned a lot about being dedicated and organized. In general, it was great, but the hours were so long, I had hardly returned home before it was getting dark.

Also I wa trying to incorporate the pluperfect tense in this...is there any in here.
    Thanks
    Hiya,
    There are a few mistakes:
    Si je n'avais pas travaillé(e)( add the e If you're a girl) là-bas je n'aurias pas appris d'être dédié et organisé. En général c'était super mais les heures était tellement longues, j'étais à peine rentré(e) chez moi avant qu'il fasse sombre,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zara_ruby)

I was trying to say...

Thanks

Si je n'avais pas travaillé la (accent on a), je n'aurais pas appris a être dédié et organisé. En general, c’était bien mais les heures étaient trop longues

for the second sentence are you talking about on one occasion/every time?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    Well, not really. Mosty because you've tried to translate literally some english idioms, that have no real direct equivalent in french.

For instance, "it was great" can be translated by "c'était super", or "c'était génial" (it was super, it was great). Here you translated by "il était grand", and this, translated back in english, means "he was tall".

A correct translatation :
    Si je n'avais pas travaillé ici, je n'aurais pas appris autant à être organisé et consciencieux (note : this part is really, really hard to translate literally ! Without touching too much to the general sense, something like "je n'aurais jamais autant appris sur comment m'organiser et à être dur à la tâche" sounds way better ! Try to translate it in english to see ! ). Globalement (globally - in general is translated by "en général" or "Généralement", but given the context, it sounds weird), cela a été génial, mais le temps de travail était si élevé (the hours were so long - les heures étaient si longues - is not wrong but again, it sounds funny) que je rentrais difficilement (you can also use rarement - rarely) à la maison avant la tombée de la nuit (nightfall - I don't see an equivalent to getting dark in french, I mean you can always say "fait sombre" but it's not really appropriate here).

Good luck !

(Original post by goals)
    Hiya,
    Si je n'avais pas travaillé(e)( add the e If you're a girl) là-bas je n'aurias pas appris à être dédié et organisé. En général c'était super mais les heures était tellement longues, j'étais à peine rentré(e) chez moi avant qu'il ne fasse sombre,
    Except this, that's correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goals)
    Hiya,
    Si je n'avais pas travaillé(e)( add the e If you're a girl) là-bas je n'aurias pas appris d'être dédié et organisé. En général c'était super mais les heures était tellement longues, j'étais à peine rentré(e) chez moi avant qu'il fasse sombre,
    past participle doesnt change for gender

ReputationRep:
    i was gonna link her man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    i was gonna link her man!
    :rofl:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.