what are enzymes useful for Watch

This discussion is closed.
horrorboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
ive a damn good felling this will come up!

erm
producing reactions? plz help :eek:
siliviax
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
isn't it the breaking down of food or something...

like the enzymes produced in your mouth is so you can swallow it..

i don't know
EconLou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well, many things.
Enzymes are used in the stomach for digestion for example protease, amylase and lipase.
You need to learn what each enzyme breaks down e.g
protein is broken down by protease and turned into amino acids
siliviax
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah, what he said

isn't amino acids broken down into fatty acids and glecerol ?
littleredfrog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
enzymes are used to break down food in the gut and when used outside the body are used in washing powders to break down stains and stuff...

enzymes can only work up to a certain temperature and if the enzymes rises above this temperature it will become denatured and no longer have a purpose...

when they are denatured they are taken away by blood cells and stored in the lymph nodes...

enzymes are also used on active sites to produce anti bodies (i think)...

hope i helped.....biology student!!!
heather2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
protein is broken down into amino acids and fats are broken down into fatty acids and glycerol
xx
alio
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by littleredfrog)
enzymes are used to break down food in the gut and when used outside the body are used in washing powders to break down stains and stuff...

enzymes can only work up to a certain temperature and if the enzymes rises above this temperature it will become denatured and no longer have a purpose...

when they are denatured they are taken away by blood cells and stored in the lymph nodes...

uve helped me, thanks
littleredfrog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by alio)
uve helped me, thanks
thats okay...was it simple enough...i mean im simple so it was probably quite easy to understand...hope it was!!!
alio
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
thats okay...was it simple enough...i mean im simple so it was probably quite easy to understand...hope it was!!!
yea although im really hoping a question on proteins will come up :rolleyes:

whats that about enzymes being triggered by a hormone? when they are triggered what do they do
the more i revise the less i understand :confused:
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

generally true, but there are lots of thermo and acid stable enzymes.

Enzymes are proteins that catalyse a reaction, be it by inducing or acellerating.

The ones I think you probably need to be aware of for A-Level are:

The disporportionation of hydrogen peroxide by catalase to water and oxygen (which I think is still on my A2 sylabuses),

Amylase: Breaks the bonds that hold starch molecules together

Pepsin: a stomach enzyme - a protease. Splits proteins in food down to smaller poly peptides

Lysozyme: antibacterial enzyme - found in tears. Hydrolyzes the glycosidic linkages within peptidoglycans walls of bacteria.

A good one to show you know lots is to throw in Taq Polymerase - an enzyme which assembles nucleic acid residues into DNA. Used in PCR. IS HEAT STABLE.

Hope these help.

fxx
xox
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (903)
79.91%
Leave (227)
20.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed