Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As I'm hoping to go off to uni this year to study systems or aeronautical engineering, I need to start thinking about what I need to get me through the next four years and the future. Whilst alcohol will undoubtedly get me through most of my uni life, other things might help.

I currently have a big 17 Inch Dell XPS laptop, which besides the strong possibility of it kicking out on me any day now, I think it's a bit too bulky and power hungry to be slugging it around with me for most of the day. I need something a little bit sleeker and more portable, whilst still being powerful enough to run basic/moderate simulations, coding software and other miscellaneous things.

I really don't have price in mind, I'm pretty much willing to pay up to £900/£1000 as I see this is an investment, but obviously I'm not going to splash out unless I'm convinced that it's the best value for money. Screen size doesn't necessarily matter to me, but 15 inch is preferable.

Any Ideas what I should get?

Cheers
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    While expensive the Dell XPS range offers solid laptops. I myself have a 2015 XPS 13 and it'll be my daily laptop at uni. I do however have a desktop for anything more power hungry. If I were solely using my laptop at Uni I'd upgrade to an XPS 15.

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd

The entry level i7/8GB RAM/256GB SSD would suffice and hits the £1000 budget (shop around though, you'll find it cheaper elsewhere). If you were willing to spend a little more and upgrade to 16GB and a 512GB SSD I'm confident it would last you all 4 years easily. Even the entry level model would last. Do not go higher though. Don't touch the 4K touch models as you'll notice a sharp decline in battery life for little benefit. Non touch/FHD models are the best performance to cost builds. The 13 inch models are also worth looking into and would serve you well, although screen size may be a complaint.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.