Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently preparing for my GCSEs, and English is by far one of my weakest subjects. We have done so many practise exam questions for the language exam in class, but I always seem to get terrible marks on questions 1 and 3, even with my teacher's help.

It is mostly due to time: I find it really hard to read the text, understand it and write about it in 15 mins, I just can't do it! And I find it really hard to infer, I always think that the words are what they mean, and that there is no other meaning or suggestion to them.

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on answering questions 1 and 3 on the language paper? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    hi I understand how you are finding english language hard as i did it last year my advice would be to go over essay questions and keep looking at the context the way the the source is presented and looking at the features.
    sorry if i couldnt help you much but i hope the advice if you need more help or need any advice please message even if i am not online

good luck

ReputationRep:
    also look at the sources and compare them if they have similarities

ReputationRep:
    I struggle with the same problem, English is my weakest subject too, being in top set English means that the teacher assumes that everyone in the class understands what we are trying to do and I don't get much help.
    During lessons my teacher will often ask us to analyse a text or complete a question about language features and I have no clue where to start or what to write about, I also look at words and will think that is what they mean, whereas my classmates come of with many different meanings and reasons as to why the author used the words.
    The only thing that has really helped is is writing down what the teacher says about the text and using them notes when writing about it, also ask your teacher about how to answer a question or analyse the text strategically because let me tell you, now that my teacher has taught my the way to go about analysing the text, I now know how to answer it better than I would have before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieMonster456)
    I am currently preparing for my GCSEs, and English is by far one of my weakest subjects. We have done so many practise exam questions for the language exam in class, but I always seem to get terrible marks on questions 1 and 3, even with my teacher's help.

It is mostly due to time: I find it really hard to read the text, understand it and write about it in 15 mins, I just can't do it! And I find it really hard to infer, I always think that the words are what they mean, and that there is no other meaning or suggestion to them.

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on answering questions 1 and 3 on the language paper? Thank you.

Hey there

I'm in Year 12 right now, and I got an A in English Language at GCSE. I can't exactly remember the whole format of the paper, but I can remember what kind of thing Question 1 requires.

I would suggest taking time to read the article/piece of text fully, highlighting the key parts of each paragraph. Then, work through the article paragraph by paragraph, write the key points that the writer has given (make sure to quote the article to access the top mark bands). Also, you have to kind of reword the material that the writer has given, just to show that you understand what the text is about.

If you need any more help don't hesitate to message me! Hope this helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 10, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.