Turn on thread page Beta

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimihxx04)
    Has anyone heard anything from any unis? I know it's still very early, but some people have started getting their backup offers such as biomedicine!
    I got my biomedical science offer from Queen Mary within 1 working day! I submitted my application on 14th October and received an offer on the 16th. Some universities are faster than others so don't be worried if you haven't gotten an offer yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightAtTheEnd)
    I got my biomedical science offer from Queen Mary within 1 working day! I submitted my application on 14th October and received an offer on the 16th. Some universities are faster than others so don't be worried if you haven't gotten an offer yet.
    Did you apply to Queen Mary with a medical personal statement? And what are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherish03)
    Did you apply to Queen Mary with a medical personal statement? And what are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Applied with only my medicine personal statement. My stats are as follows:

GCSEs: 2A*, 6A, 3B
    A-levels (Predicted): A*AA
    A-level (Achieved/Early Entry): A (Mathematics)

My UKCAT was 703 average (not a requirement for this course)

Offer: Grades AB. One of the grades must be in Biology, the other grade can be for either Chemistry or Physics.
    http://image.prntscr.com/image/c7bc9...f7b30f3a2e.png

Don't fret if you haven't gotten an offer from your biomed/5th choice. 3 girls from my school have much better stats (except UKCAT scores) than me but haven't received any offers yet. There is plenty of time left.

Edit: Note, they did ask me to send them either my A-level Mathematics certificate or results sheet to confirm my results (I thought they could check via UCAS?) and I sent this through their application portal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightAtTheEnd)
    Ohh Well done! I guess so, a lot of people who applied for Medicine at my school have got their Biomedicine offer from places like Manchester and Keele, but I haven't heard anything :/ Guess it's just a waiting game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimihxx04)
    Ohh Well done! I guess so, a lot of people who applied for Medicine at my school have got their Biomedicine offer from places like Manchester and Keele, but I haven't heard anything :/ Guess it's just a waiting game.
    Well there are 6 medic applicants from my school but so far only I have a biomedical offer but I think the others will most likely get it in the near future.
    Good luck to you regardless, but who knows I might just see you at King's! (If your applying there and prefer it).

ReputationRep:
    Why would u even apply to biomed when it's better to take a year out and reapply to medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouHaveProblems)
    Why would u even apply to biomed when it's better to take a year out and reapply to medicine
    It's really for personal reasons. i know of people whose parents are really against the idea of a gap year and some people just aren't willing to "waste" a year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaysinn)
    It's really for personal reasons. i know of people whose parents are really against the idea of a gap year and some people just aren't willing to "waste" a year
    But they can be productive in that year and even if not they'll be wasting three years with slimmer chance

ReputationRep:
    But they can be productive in that year and even if not they'll be wasting three years with slimmer chance
    some people aren't hell bent on getting into medicine! so if they don't get in, they wouldn't mind getting into biomedicine as well just to pursue a career in sciences. and since i haven't actually taken my a levels, there's actually a chance of me doing worse than expected (dear god no) and having no spot assured in another course of interest.

ReputationRep:
    some people aren't hell bent on getting into medicine! so if they don't get in, they wouldn't mind getting into biomedicine as well just to pursue a career in sciences. and since i haven't actually taken my a levels, there's actually a chance of me doing worse than expected (dear god no) and having no spot assured in another course of interest.
    Well then. No wonder they don't get in if they aren't devoted to studying medicine. Even if you do bad you can resit.

ReputationRep:
    Well then. No wonder they don't get in if they aren't devoted to studying medicine. Even if you do bad you can resit.
    that's honestly the perspective of someone who is privileged. not everyone can casually afford to resit and not everyone is hung up on the idealistic dream of having to get into medicine. sometimes you may have everything right in your application but someone else is just better. and a gap year may mean one less year of providing monetarily to the household for some.

ReputationRep:
    that's honestly the perspective of someone who is privileged. not everyone can casually afford to resit and not everyone is hung up on the idealistic dream of having to get into medicine. sometimes you may have everything right in your application but someone else is just better. and a gap year may mean one less year of providing monetarily to the household for some.
    If they are okay with a profession in Biomedicine and aren't devoted to Medicine then there is no need applying to medicine. Universities look for people who are devoted to medicine. Whoever applies must really want to study medicine because it is a massive responsibility and not the 'ideal' job, perhaps they are lacking in passion and that's why they aren't accepted. It requires a lot of passion, so whoever halfheartedly applies won't be the best student or shouldn't expect to get in.
    How can you say not everyone can afford to resit yet they can afford to start university? University requires so much funding and even if you incredibly get a loan which covers all of your costs you are going to have to pay back much more and if people then apply to medicine after biomed they have to self fund and pay back extra 3 years of loans.
    If the family is able to go without money for the next five years and most likely more then they should be able to go without it for a little bit longer. And even so they can use the gap year to get a job and provide more money in that year than they would if they were in university. Besides, they only make an okay wage 7 years after they enter medicine university.

This is not a privileged perspective, it's a realistic and logical perspective.

Whoever ends up going into biomedicine to reapply to medicine is better off resitting and whoever is fine with biomedicine as a career path doesn't have much passion for medicine in the first place, perhaps there are special circumstances but apart from them these principles stand true.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's this but most people tend to simply have a 5th choice for re-assurance and a piece of mind which is completely understandable. I'm sure a lot of people don't actually go through with the offer in the end and take a gap year anyways. It's just that if the opportunity to go onto something alternative is there, it just makes the process that bit more bearable.

ReputationRep:
    If they are okay with a profession in Biomedicine and aren't devoted to Medicine then there is no need applying to medicine. Universities look for people who are devoted to medicine. Whoever applies must really want to study medicine because it is a massive responsibility and not the 'ideal' job, perhaps they are lacking in passion and that's why they aren't accepted. It requires a lot of passion, so whoever halfheartedly applies won't be the best student or shouldn't expect to get in.
    How can you say not everyone can afford to resit yet they can afford to start university? University requires so much funding and even if you incredibly get a loan which covers all of your costs you are going to have to pay back much more and if people then apply to medicine after biomed they have to self fund and pay back extra 3 years of loans.
    If the family is able to go without money for the next five years and most likely more then they should be able to go without it for a little bit longer. And even so they can use the gap year to get a job and provide more money in that year than they would if they were in university. Besides, they only make an okay wage 7 years after they enter medicine university.

This is not a privileged perspective, it's a realistic and logical perspective.

Whoever ends up going into biomedicine to reapply to medicine is better off resitting and whoever is fine with biomedicine as a career path doesn't have much passion for medicine in the first place, perhaps there are special circumstances but apart from them these principles stand true.
    i realise we are referring to different scenarios. im referring to a person getting into biomed and working immediately after, not pursuing medicine as a grad course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    I don't think it's this but most people tend to simply have a 5th choice for re-assurance and a piece of mind which is completely understandable. I'm sure a lot of people don't actually go through with the offer in the end and take a gap year anyways. It's just that if the opportunity to go onto something alternative is there, it just makes the process that bit more bearable.
    yes agree with your point as well! i put a 5th choice in because i paid for 5 choices anyways, i might as well fill the last one in. im an international student and truthfully, i don't have any plans of flying to UK to study a subject that is NOT medicine.

ReputationRep:
    i realise we are referring to different scenarios. im referring to a person getting into biomed and working immediately after, not pursuing medicine as a grad course
    I referred to both scenarios....
    If they are willing to study biomed as a job then they don't have enough passion for medicine in the first place. Read my whole reply, i've made several clear points in response to what you said. They don't all have to rely on the outcome anyway, because they are applying to medicine in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Even less

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleuves)
    Even less
    what?

ReputationRep:
    I referred to both scenarios....
    If they are willing to study biomed as a job then they don't have enough passion for medicine in the first place. Read my whole reply, i've made several clear points in response to what you said. They don't all have to rely on the outcome anyway, because they are applying to medicine in the first place.
    i think its wrong to generalize and assume that anyone who is willing to study biomed is not passionate enough for medicine. biomedicine is a branch of medical science and there are people out there willing to serve society through this branch of medicine as well if they aren't able to secure a spot in medicine. these people aren't simply devoted to medicine. they are devoted to helping society and there's more than one route to that.

i suppose my words came off wrongly. resits will place an additional, unexpected burden on the family (in my country the full cost come up to thousands i believe), whereas university was something that was expected and in a sense, prepared for. and if these people are passionate about serving, and they don't happen to get into medicine on the first try, biomed seems like a good alternative to serve and also happens to be more cost effective.

medicine is an immense dream and yet there are people out there with practical problems. i believe that one can be incredibly passionate for medicine but is also willing to settle for something less if it comes to that. obviously, it would be a tough and heartbreaking decision but there is also no guarantee that you will definitely get in if you take a gap year. and there will be people out there who have to let that dream go.

sorry for the previous short reply! my computer had to restart for an update so i sent that out first.

ReputationRep:
    Even less medical schools accept resitters than those who offer GEM courses.
    If you make the minimum grades, but receive no offers, I agree. Gap year and re-application is best.
    But if you miss the grades, you're between a rock and a hard place. You can chance a resit and apply to the places that accept resitters. Or you can do a BSc with the view to do grad Medicine.
    Grad medicine is designed to be affordable. You pay roughly 15k in total towards the tuition fees yourself (3-4kish x4), NHS fund the rest and SFE will provide the living cost loans. Not many people have 3-4k per year to hand, but so long as you have a good credit score, many banks will loan privately to grad medics because you are guaranteed a high-income job by the end of it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.