The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by Emmawinterson
Me! Well- I'll be graduating this year. Hate the waiting!

Oooo what are you studying?
Me too, I'm checking multiple times a day, I hope to hear back before March because this wait is torture haha :colondollar:
Reply 701
Original post by eemooz
Oooo what are you studying?
Me too, I'm checking multiple times a day, I hope to hear back before March because this wait is torture haha :colondollar:

Haha me too, t's not healthy! I study Medical Science at Leeds :smile: What's your undergrad in?
Me! Well- I'll be graduating this year. Hate the waiting!

me..how was ur ukcat?
Original post by eemooz
oh hi! I think youre the first one I have seen on this thread, or maybe others havent made it so clear lol.

I havent heard anything either, but dont worry, someone mentioned that graduates get interviewed in January so technically we wont hear back till mid December earliest?

What are your stats if you dont mind me asking :smile:

ukcat - 700 band 1, 2:1 biomedical science

you? when did you graduate?
Reply 704
Haha me too, t's not healthy! I study Medical Science at Leeds :smile: What's your undergrad in?

haha deffo not healthy.
Clinical Science its a course that lets you transfer into medicine (at Leeds actually) if you're lucky haha.

Where else have you applied?
Reply 705
Original post by wannabeadoctorr
ukcat - 700 band 1, 2:1 biomedical science

you? when did you graduate?

Niiiiiiceee :biggrin:

Just graduated in July in Clinical Science with a first.
Ukcat 716 sjt band 1
where else have you applied?
Original post by eemooz
Niiiiiiceee :biggrin:

Just graduated in July in Clinical Science with a first.
Ukcat 716 sjt band 1
where else have you applied?

Well done!! I think I might be one of the more *mature* students lol. I graduated in 2013. Warwick, barts and southampton. So havent heard anything else yet!! You? :smile:
Reply 707
Original post by Lostperson
me..how was ur ukcat?

I got 705 so it was okayyyy but I didn't think it was good enough for GEM. How about yours :smile:
Reply 708
Original post by eemooz
haha deffo not healthy.
Clinical Science its a course that lets you transfer into medicine (at Leeds actually) if you're lucky haha.

Where else have you applied?

Oh yeah, I've heard of it that's awesome- wishing you alllllll the luck :smile: I applied to Barts (GEM), Warwick and Southampton (A100). How about you? :smile:
Reply 709
Original post by wannabeadoctorr
Well done!! I think I might be one of the more *mature* students lol. I graduated in 2013. Warwick, barts and southampton. So havent heard anything else yet!! You? :smile:

I'll pm you, don't want to derail the thread haha
How are people preparing for the MMI? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eemooz
I'll pm you, don't want to derail the thread haha

I think I am going to win the maturity competition... :smile: and just don't ask my age or when I graduated... :smile:
Could you please keep me posted regarding anything you know/get to know for mature grads entering the undergrad program?
Thank you!
Original post by tsr120
I cannot say for certain as I am pretty sure they do not release data about how much the UKCAT can compensate for, but that score is so very high that I presume you would be very likely to receive an interview (if not definitely in my opinion!). As long as you meet the other requirements which it looks like you do, I think the Kings application system will work in your benefit.Congrats on such an amazing score!

Thanks for the insight! I'm not too familiar with the UK system but it's nice to know I have a good shot.
Reply 713
Original post by neuralgal
Thanks for the insight! I'm not too familiar with the UK system but it's nice to know I have a good shot.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/346419/response/849455/attach/3/F230.16%20Response.pdf

That might be useful - it's statistics for the past two years RE: international students. Based on past years, it's about 2 - 5 % chance of getting in for us. More difficult than getting into Harvard or Princeton.
Original post by rayrk
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/346419/response/849455/attach/3/F230.16%20Response.pdf

That might be useful - it's statistics for the past two years RE: international students. Based on past years, it's about 2 - 5 % chance of getting in for us. More difficult than getting into Harvard or Princeton.

This is useful. thanks! Well, here's to hoping my UKCAT score will get me through to the interview (and that not many internationals applied this year). After that, it seems to be about 50/50.

It would be interesting to see the stats for the A102 course too as they only take 2 internationals for that.
That website is actually really helpful. Why don't med schools in the UK have admission stats up anyway?
If people are curious:

Personal statements are marked on a binary scale between 1 for a Good/Relevant statement with an appropriate level of English and 2 for all others. Personal
statements are used as part of a holistic assessment process in order to make a
decision to offer an interview to an applicant or not. Personal statements are not used
as a reference during the MMI interview process.

The UKCAT Score is used to rank applicants and then determine which other
academic criteria the applicant should have in order to be offered an interview.
The UKCAT score required to get an interview is dependent on the other
qualifications the applicant has achieved. However it would not be possible to get an
interview with scores below the relevant average, except under very exceptional
circumstances.
**Average offer was A*AA but it seems like if your UKCAT was high enough, then AAA would be good**

We do not 'weight' the different areas (i.e reference, PS, etc.) in this way. Most criteria are marked as either
met or not met while the achieved qualifications and UKCAT scores are considered
on a competitive basis.

Also, if you're an international graduate who manages to get interviewed for the A102, they're likely to make you a A100 offer if you're unsuccessful
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, that got me started. Read through a lot of FOIs so if anybody has questions, fire away!
Original post by neuralgal
If people are curious:

Personal statements are marked on a binary scale between 1 for a Good/Relevant statement with an appropriate level of English and 2 for all others. Personal
statements are used as part of a holistic assessment process in order to make a
decision to offer an interview to an applicant or not. Personal statements are not used
as a reference during the MMI interview process.

The UKCAT Score is used to rank applicants and then determine which other
academic criteria the applicant should have in order to be offered an interview.
The UKCAT score required to get an interview is dependent on the other
qualifications the applicant has achieved. However it would not be possible to get an
interview with scores below the relevant average, except under very exceptional
circumstances.
**Average offer was A*AA but it seems like if your UKCAT was high enough, then AAA would be good**

We do not 'weight' the different areas (i.e reference, PS, etc.) in this way. Most criteria are marked as either
met or not met while the achieved qualifications and UKCAT scores are considered
on a competitive basis.

Also, if you're an international graduate who manages to get interviewed for the A102, they're likely to make you a A100 offer if you're unsuccessful

Hey where did you get this information from please? :smile:
All from that what do they know website - I searched King's College London medicine and a bunch of FOIs popped up with relevant information

Quick Reply

Latest