The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ASTK98
Not at all. Your amazing UKCAT score will make up for lack of A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks man, I might look into it
What about a 703 avg with Band 2 for Grad entry??
GCSE's: 2A*, 6A, 3B
UKCAT: 703
Predicted: A*AA - A*A*A (last teacher is undecided still..) Should I apply to kings (assume A*AA will ask again if A*A*A is confirmed)
Hi I want to apply to Kings but am not sure my GCSEs are competitive enough or whether I should apply to a more UKCAT heavy uni

GCSE : 4A* 7A
AS: AAAAB Biology, Maths, Computer Science, IT (taken early) and Chemistry
A2 predictions : A*AA Biology , Maths and Chemistry
UKCAT : VR- 760, QR-850, AR-690, SJ- Band 1, Average-767
Work Experience : Two weeks across three hospitals and various volunteering
GCSE: 5A*s 4As and a B in english language
achieved alevels: A*AAA
UKCAT: 660 band 1
I worried because the ukcat score required seems to change greatly from year to year. Whilst Im happy with my GCSEs they re not very competitve for medicine and often lose too many points when GCSEs are scored. Any advice? Do i have a decent chance of an interview?
Where else can I apply? Anyone know whether the cut off is expected to rise this year? Thank you in advance :smile:
Hey guys I really need some help, for my GCSE's I got 2 A*'s, 5A's, 1B and 3C's. I did terrible in my AS but passed by far but not good enough grades for me to think that I have a chance in medicine. I'm predicted ABB- AAB but will be applying to the foundation medicine course at king's. Does anyone think I have a chance to even think about doing medicine. I would appreciate any comments, thanks!
Original post by j4mil417
Hey guys I really need some help, for my GCSE's I got 2 A*'s, 5A's, 1B and 3C's. I did terrible in my AS but passed by far but not good enough grades for me to think that I have a chance in medicine. I'm predicted ABB- AAB but will be applying to the foundation medicine course at king's. Does anyone think I have a chance to even think about doing medicine. I would appreciate any comments, thanks!

You have a chance as you're applying to the foundation course which has lower requirements. Don't let bad AS grades get in your way, it happens to loads of people. Just try your best this year and it'll be worth it in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
You have a chance as you're applying to the foundation course which has lower requirements. Don't let bad AS grades get in your way, it happens to loads of people. Just try your best this year and it'll be worth it in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the advice, Kings is my dream uni and I know I can get those grades it's just my first year I didn't take seriously. Would I have to get an A in chemsitry? Because the requirements don't specify whether chemistry has to be an A or not? Thank you for the reply!
Hello... I need help!
UKCAT: Average 660 SJ: Band 2
GCSE: 6A*s 4A's
AS: AAAAA
A2: probable prediction A*A*AA
Pretty strong PS
Do I stand a chance for interview at King's?
What about the extended degree? Would they even consider me if I have high predicted grades?
Thanks
Thank you for the advice, Kings is my dream uni and I know I can get those grades it's just my first year I didn't take seriously. Would I have to get an A in chemsitry? Because the requirements don't specify whether chemistry has to be an A or not? Thank you for the reply!

If you are applying for the standard 5 year course then you would need an A in Chemistry & Biology 100%. I'm not sure about the exact requirements for the foundation course but you definitely don't need an A in Biology or Chemistry to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
If you are applying for the standard 5 year course then you would need an A in Chemistry & Biology 100%. I'm not sure about the exact requirements for the foundation course but you definitely don't need an A in Biology or Chemistry to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, that's made everything much clearer! DO you know unis which aren't heavily dependant on the UKCAT test, that is a really weak point on me?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you, that's made everything much clearer! DO you know unis which aren't heavily dependant on the UKCAT test, that is a really weak point on me?

Have a look at this. (Made by ChemBoss) ImageUploadedByStudent Room1473896276.779262.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Hi there, I am a biomedical science graduate looking to study at King's. I've got a 2:1 with plenty healthcare experience. I know the GEP course is very competitive and you pretty much need a UKCAT score above 700 to have a strong application. My avg score is 690 band 1 (total 2060) which puts me in the 7th decile. Is there any chance in applying for the 5-year undergraduate course? How competitive is it? Do they look at A-level grades for graduates going for the 5 year course? Mine aren't great (ABC) but I'm hoping my degree class will complement the application.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ASTK98
Have a look at this. (Made by ChemBoss) ImageUploadedByStudent Room1473896276.779262.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, one very last question is it worth doing a premed medical work experience or not because the price of one tends to be £1600. So do you think if I complete one I will have an advantage or not? Does it make me stand out? Thanks again!
Thank you, one very last question is it worth doing a premed medical work experience or not because the price of one tends to be £1600. So do you think if I complete one I will have an advantage or not? Does it make me stand out? Thanks again!

As far as my knowledge takes me, no. Most people who get into Med school have undertaken a few weeks of work experience in a health care setting like a hospital or GP surgery. There's no need to pay that amount of money + I don't think it puts you at a massive advantage tbh - because they're looking for what you learnt from the experience mainly, not where the experience was or how much it cost etc. Hope this helps.
Original post by ASTK98
As far as my knowledge takes me, no. Most people who get into Med school have undertaken a few weeks of work experience in a health care setting like a hospital or GP surgery. There's no need to pay that amount of money + I don't think it puts you at a massive advantage tbh - because they're looking for what you learnt from the experience mainly, not where the experience was or how much it cost etc. Hope this helps.

That honestly does help, thank you so much for helping me out with everything. I don't think id even go for it now, its true all work experience is the same, its just the money really. Thank you
Reply 96
What do kings think of a band 3 in sjt??
Original post by agahaga
What do kings think of a band 3 in sjt??

Hi, it's still possible to get an interview. I emailed admission to get more info on SJT to see if it was also used after interview. They said no, but gave me the run down of how they use it during selection. They said they look for Band 1 and 2 (so I don't think they really differentiate between the two as long as you're up there). If it's band 3 you're less likely to be called for interview, so although it might hurt you a little as long as your UKCAT score is good and your grades you still have a shot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by lumosbludger183
Hi, it's still possible to get an interview. I emailed admission to get more info on SJT to see if it was also used after interview. They said no, but gave me the run down of how they use it during selection. They said they look for Band 1 and 2 (so I don't think they really differentiate between the two as long as you're up there). If it's band 3 you're less likely to be called for interview, so although it might hurt you a little as long as your UKCAT score is good and your grades you still have a shot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i got 680 avg (flopped the vr) and 9A* at GCSE, but then kinda ****ed my AS aswell and got ABBB (B in 4th AS) predicted AAA tho. what do u think are my chances?
Hey y'all would appreciate some help.

I exceed the standard offer for King's with the equivalent of A*AA,

Plenty of extracurriculars and work experience/volunteering/shadowing, feel like my PS is good.
However, my GCSE profile is 2A* 7A 1B and a Distinction in a GNVQ (equivalent to 2A* 2A, I don't know if they'll count it as GCSE grades though), and my UKCAT isn't exceptional - average 636 band 1.

Only applying for one London uni so do you think I stand a better chance with King's or St. George's?

TIA*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending