Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why and how can you believe in God ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    From a Hindu perspective death itself shouldn't be seen as a bad thing.

"Death is certain for the one who is born, and birth is certain for the one who dies. Therefore, you should not lament over the inevitable." Bhagavad Gita

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longshot700)
    "They deserve it because they're stupid." Bullies don't know they're bullies and like to make cheap excuses to defend themselves.

Sigh.
    Oh, okay, by 'Cheap excuses' you're referring to logical assertions which can be backed up by science. seriously dude, if you're a theist you're just a waste of my time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeimIX)
    Oh, okay, by 'Cheap excuses' you're referring to logical assertions which can be backed up by science. seriously dude, if you're a theist you're just a waste of my time.
    Actually, bullies are a waste of time but nice try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimi1233)
    I ask this as a Catholic who recently has lost all faith. My grandad was an amazing man he was a kind and hard working man he gave to charity he went to church. he died of cancer last week. He suffered greatly I was with him till the end but to see him suffer was horrific. I struggled at his funeral when our priest was talking about God because quite frankly why did this amazing God let my wonderful kind grandad suffer so badly and die in such a painful way ? I'm having a crisis of faith but I have completely lost my faith so I'm asking why does God let people suffer ? Surely a good God wohld have let him fallen asleep peacefully not die in pain ?
    Your granddad sounds like a genuinely good guy, maybe this quote would help you;

"Mom, why do the best people die?"

"When you're in a garden, which flower would you pick?"

"The most beautiful ones."

Hope it helps you, good luck, Mimi.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, since when has dying nicely if you're a good person been part of Christian dogma? No priest will claim this and it's seems strange you're struggling as presumably you believe that Jesus was the most perfect human being, yes? Yet his death was horrific.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, bullies are a waste of time but nice try.

Nice try? Try? its funny how you stupid theist 'try' to make religion sound like its actually, in any sense, coherent. Science *****. Its idiot like you who fail their GCSE's and wonder why your stuck on <26,000 a year after taking a B-TECH. Get some education pls.

You bully.

ReputationRep:
    Nice try? Try? its funny how you stupid theist 'try' to make religion sound like its actually, in any sense, coherent. Science *****. Its idiot like you who fail their GCSE's and wonder why your stuck on <26,000 a year after taking a B-TECH. Get some education pls.

You bully.
    Erm, I got my Gcse's. Only bully here is you. I'm just standing up for what's right. But anyway, religun suks, me iz so cool.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for your lost. I know we tend to have questions about why there are certain cruel things happening to us and blame it to God. I also have been questioning and still trying to find the answer if there is God or not. At times, I feel there is not. But there are certain times, I don't know I feel there is. What I know right now is it is very comforting to know that there is God who will listen to our sadness, loneliness, heartaches or any negative things that sometimes you cannot talk to others. Just don't let religion mix in your faith.

ReputationRep:
    Are you claiming that calling all theists "retarded simpletons" is a logical assertion backed up by scientific evidence? Please, elaborate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eriasu)
    Your granddad sounds like a genuinely good guy, maybe this quote would help you;

"Mom, why do the best people die?"

"When you're in a garden, which flower would you pick?"

"The most beautiful ones."

Hope it helps you, good luck, Mimi.
    How does that quote actually answer the question 'why do the best people die?'? Serious question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    How does that quote actually answer the question 'why do the best people die?'? Serious question.
    "The most beautiful flowers" represent the "best people" I was saying god picked the most beautiful flower (beautiful person) when he went to the garden (world).

Beautiful flower = Ops Granddad.

ReputationRep:
    "The most beautiful flowers" represent the "best people" I was saying god picked the most beautiful flower (beautiful person) when he went to the garden (world).

Beautiful flower = Ops Granddad.
    So you're saying that God killed OP's granddad? You're also saying that God killed OP's granddad because he was a good person? He wanted him for himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    So you're saying that God killed OP's granddad?
    No. That wasn't the main point of my comment. But I can't say that he did since I don't know the cause of his death.

The point of my comment was to help him deal with his loss.

ReputationRep:
    No. That wasn't the main point of my comment. But I can't say that he did since I don't know the cause of his death.

The point of my comment was to help him deal with his loss.
    Yes. I realise the purpose of your comment. I just don't see how that quote is a good or comforting quote. Yes it's saying the dead person was a good person. But it also inevitably says that some god out there chose to kill him because he wanted to kill a good person.

I think we should talk honestly about these things, rather than just tell comforting quotes that don't make sense if you just think about the implications of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    Yes. I realise the purpose of your comment. I just don't see how that quote is a good or comforting quote. Yes it's saying the dead person was a good person. But it also inevitably says that some god out there chose to kill him because he wanted to kill a good person.

I think we should talk honestly about these things, rather than just tell comforting quotes that don't make sense if you just think about the implications of them.
    No, that wasn't how I meant it, I meant that his granddad is in a good place and inevitably everyone dies, no one can live forever and he(op) will soon join him.

Everyone's got a way to help those in need, I just use comforting methods and think it's better instead of honesty, honesty is not always good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Are you claiming that calling all theists "retarded simpletons" is a logical assertion backed up by scientific evidence? Please, elaborate.

Once you actually learn to construct a coherent sentence maybe I will waste my energy reserves on you, and prove why you are a simpleton.

(Notice how 'Coherent' is in bold.)

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I got my Gcse's. Only bully here is you. I'm just standing up for what's right. But anyway, religun suks, me iz so cool.
    ok dad.

ReputationRep:
    Once you actually learn to construct a coherentsentence maybe I will waste my energy reserves on you, and prove why you are a simpleton.
    Maybe you should start by explaining what was incoherent about my previous question (which, by the way, you didn't answer)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimi1233)
    I ask this as a Catholic who recently has lost all faith. My grandad was an amazing man he was a kind and hard working man he gave to charity he went to church. he died of cancer last week. He suffered greatly I was with him till the end but to see him suffer was horrific. I struggled at his funeral when our priest was talking about God because quite frankly why did this amazing God let my wonderful kind grandad suffer so badly and die in such a painful way ? I'm having a crisis of faith but I have completely lost my faith so I'm asking why does God let people suffer ? Surely a good God wohld have let him fallen asleep peacefully not die in pain ?
    So you think if there is suffering in the world then it means that GOD does not exist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Maybe you should start by explaining what was incoherent about my previous question (which, by the way, you didn't answer)...
    Sigh, this is why you mind your own business; I was referring to the scientific evidence which backs up systems such as The Big Bang Theory and Evolution. However theist are simpletons and its only consistent that they should be regarded as idiots if they believe in some invisible spaghetti man.

I guessing you're just a another theist idiot.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.