Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why and how can you believe in God ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeimIX)
    Sigh, this is why you mind your own business; I was referring to the scientific evidence which backs up systems such as The Big Bang Theory and Evolution. However theist are simpletons and its only consistent that they should be regarded as idiots if they believe in some invisible spaghetti man.

I guessing you're just a another theist idiot.
    I'm starting to smell troll, but I'll continue to entertain you regardless.

I am an atheist.

But many people who believe in gods have logical reasons for doing so. Yes, there are people that blindly follow a faith, but you'd be surprised how many intelligent minds there are that believe in a higher power.

Either way, you're just a bigoted **** and I don't intend to reply to whatever ******** you follow this with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimi1233)
    I ask this as a Catholic who recently has lost all faith. My grandad was an amazing man he was a kind and hard working man he gave to charity he went to church. he died of cancer last week. He suffered greatly I was with him till the end but to see him suffer was horrific. I struggled at his funeral when our priest was talking about God because quite frankly why did this amazing God let my wonderful kind grandad suffer so badly and die in such a painful way ? I'm having a crisis of faith but I have completely lost my faith so I'm asking why does God let people suffer ? Surely a good God wohld have let him fallen asleep peacefully not die in pain ?
    Hi Friend, it seems like you lacks understanding of the purpose of our existence, how God tests us etc.. please read these verses so you may get some understanding about these things..

* Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri and Abu Huraira: The Prophet said,
    "No fatigue, nor disease, nor sorrow, nor sadness, nor hurt, nor distress befalls a Submitter, even if it were the prick he receives from a thorn, but that God expiates some of his sins for that." (Bhukari)

* And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient, Who, when disaster strikes them, say, "Indeed we belong to God , and indeed to Him we will return." Those are the ones upon whom are blessings from their Lord and mercy. And it is those who are the [rightly] guided. (2/155 - 2/157)

* Every soul will taste death. And We test you with evil and with good as trial; and to Us you will be returned. (21/35)

* God does not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity. It will have [the consequence of] what [good] it has gained, and it will bear [the consequence of] what [evil] it has earned. "Our Lord, do not impose blame upon us if we have forgotten or erred. Our Lord, and lay not upon us a burden like that which You laid upon those before us. Our Lord, and burden us not with that which we have no ability to bear. And pardon us; and forgive us; and have mercy upon us. You are our protector, so give us victory over the disbelieving people. (2/286)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your responses. I have always been on the fence about faith my family are devout irish Catholics but this has really made me struggle to believe in a god. I know exactly what you all mean we all die, I know jesus suffered but I just don't get how if god is good why on earth did he let my granddad die such a painful horrible death, I cared for him and was with him to the end and I just struggled at his funeral when the priest was going on about how great god is. I suppose ive been totally ignorant to everything, I was unwell myself and had heart surgery just in the nick of time and always thought how wonderful god was looking out for me blah blah. Now I think im pretty much turning into an atheist and think life happens and nobody can control it. Like many of you said I'm looking for an answer that nobody can give

Thanks so much for your kind words about my granddad its been pretty horrendous the last few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    So you think if there is suffering in the world then it means that GOD does not exist?
    We're not talking about any God here, but one that apparently intervenes in the world and answers prayers. Many Christians claim to have had their prayers answered, often for many trivial things, and yet others will make genuine heartfelt prayers to end the suffering of their loved ones, and their prayer will go under answered. So I can fully understand why people ask why and how God could work in such a way.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Mimi1233)
    Thank you all for your responses. I have always been on the fence about faith my family are devout irish Catholics but this has really made me struggle to believe in a god. I know exactly what you all mean we all die, I know jesus suffered but I just don't get how if god is good why on earth did he let my granddad die such a painful horrible death, I cared for him and was with him to the end and I just struggled at his funeral when the priest was going on about how great god is. I suppose ive been totally ignorant to everything, I was unwell myself and had heart surgery just in the nick of time and always thought how wonderful god was looking out for me blah blah. Now I think im pretty much turning into an atheist and think life happens and nobody can control it. Like many of you said I'm looking for an answer that nobody can give

Thanks so much for your kind words about my granddad its been pretty horrendous the last few weeks.
    Sorry it's been so horrendous for you Rest assured that should your faith ever come back, God and His Church will welcome you back with open arms. It's understandable that your faith has been shaken :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I'm starting to smell troll, but I'll continue to entertain you regardless.

I am an atheist.

But many people who believe in gods have logical reasons for doing so. Yes, there are people that blindly follow a faith, but you'd be surprised how many intelligent minds there are that believe in a higher power.

Either way, you're just a bigoted **** and I don't intend to reply to whatever ******** you follow this with.

ok dad

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.