Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda freaking out, everyone seems to have an idea of what they want to do with their life and I have no clue. I obviously want to earn a decent salary (50-70K) but I just don't know how to go about that. Currently at A-Level and just don't know where to apply to and what do to. I did want to become a doctor but got really terrible GCSE grades (mostly B's and 1 A, I was severely depressed at this time and was nearly hospitalised). Just kinda worried, I don't want to end up in a low paying job or on benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxVENUSx)
    I'm kinda freaking out, everyone seems to have an idea of what they want to do with their life and I have no clue. I obviously want to earn a decent salary (50-70K) but I just don't know how to go about that. Currently at A-Level and just don't know where to apply to and what do to. I did want to become a doctor but got really terrible GCSE grades (mostly B's and 1 A, I was severely depressed at this time and was nearly hospitalised). Just kinda worried, I don't want to end up in a low paying job or on benefits.
    Have you considered what you enjoy learning about in subjects? Or maybe what you don't like learning about?
    For me, I pretty much though of every degree possible and mentally crossed off which ones I knew I wouldn't like and once I had a smaller list I researched into what I would enjoy the most

What A levels are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Focus on getting top grades at AS-Level (i.e. ABBB-AAAA) so you get predicted the grades that will let you apply to target/semi-target universities. Targets/semi-target universities offer networking opportunities to help you get investment banking internships. (I assume you'd be interested in IB since you want to earn a 'decent salary' Make sure you study a degree that offers employable skills such as medicine, dentistry, engineering, computer science, management, or applied mathematics/statistics (lots of hedge funds recruit students with a good background in stochastic processes)

ReputationRep:
    What subjects do you enjoy? Is there anything outside of school that you have an interest in? Think about what kind of university degree you would be interested in, don't worry about prestige, you're most likely to succeed at uni doing something you love rather than doing something you hate that you think might get you to somewhere for financial reasons! Remember the biggest success in life is doing what you enjoy, not what earns you the most money (though of course they are not mutually exclusive)!

And by the way - only the lucky few know precisely what they want to do at 17! I'm 22 and still have no clue! All I know is that I'm studying the perfect subject for me at university and will cross that next bridge when I graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heynothing24)
    Have you considered what you enjoy learning about in subjects? Or maybe what you don't like learning about?
    For me, I pretty much though of every degree possible and mentally crossed off which ones I knew I wouldn't like and once I had a smaller list I researched into what I would enjoy the most

What A levels are you doing?
    I'm doing chemistry, biology and history.
    I'm debating chemistry but not as many universities want to accept me because I don't do Maths.

ReputationRep:
    I'm debating chemistry but not as many universities want to accept me because I don't do Maths.
    what about history? I know quite a few people who did History at university and are now working in banking. As long as the uni you go to is good, banks are fine with almost any discipline. (Apart from something like pottery making which good uni's don't do anyway)

ReputationRep:
    is there no way you could drop history and do maths in Y13?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    is there no way you could drop history and do maths in Y13?
    I was thinking of doing Maths but I would want to keep history as well. 6 modules of maths as well as the rest of the other 3 subjects seems quite a lot to do.

ReputationRep:
    I do A2 Biology and Chemistry as well as French.
    Chemistry might be an interesting route to take, if you haven't done maths and they require it, maybe you should think about taking it for AS next year because if they want maths that would normally be all they require
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hi OP,

Really sorry to hear about this… it's OK! Not everyone will instantly know what they want to do and that's OK! You can't blame yourself for your depression, or for what was going on in your life. How're your A-Levels going? Focus on that for now, work your way up from there! Have you spoken to the careers department or looked online at tools like FastTomato? That'd be a really good use of your time to see what kind of careers you could aim for!

If you need me, please, you know where to find me

ReputationRep:
    After discussion with my friend, I've decided to take the AS+A2 in 1 year. Is that possible or not?

ReputationRep:
    After discussion with my friend, I've decided to take the AS+A2 in 1 year. Is that possible or not?
    Of course it's possible!!! That's what I'm planning to do during my gap year. It's hectic and if you plan on taking 2 or more subjects it will feel as though you're taking 4 AS subjects. If you plan on solely taking Maths, which I gather is what you're intending to do, it will be much more manageable! They're called intensive a-levels and you will have to see if you're school run those courses or you can always do a bit of negotiation if you know what I mean

Also I'm not sure whether this will help or not, but I also struggled when deciding what degree program to choose simply because there is so much to chose from in the first place, like where do you even start!!!! What I did, which might also be useful for you, is that I narrowed my choices by asking myself: okay what is it that I enjoy the most about the subjects I am currently doing. There must be a reason why you chose Chemistry, Biology and History. Try investigating why that is. I realised that I enjoy helping and listening to others and perhaps a career in Psychology or research would be more suitable for me. Try and chose something you're good at, that fits your personality and your general interests.

Other than that good luck with your a-levels and future choices. I know how frustrating feeling indecisive is especially when others around you seem to have it figured out. Focus on doing well and try attending masterclasses at top universities (seeing as you want a well-paid job) and don't miss out on the opportunities to apply to the Sutton Summer school as this will enhance your UCAS application (if you're in year 12 that is!)

Feel free to contact me for more information and/or advice!

ReputationRep:
    Just started year 13 and I'm being pressured into finding a course however I cannot find one that I'm 100% interested in. I'm set on the idea of going to uni so not going isn't an option for me. My subjects are: biology, chemistry and English and my predicted grades are ABC - help!!! I don't want to settle for something for the sake of it - I want to thoroughly enjoy my course and be excited for it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.