The Student Room Group

I got mugged off - am I right to be annoyed with her?

So, I've been speaking to this girl for 8 months now. We always talk on the phone and meet up and have a good time. She has known I like her for ages and happily accepted a valentines gift from me too. Although she has never done anything forward or flirty towards me, she has not discouraged my behaviour and has got my hopes up by continuing to speak to me and meet up with me fully aware of how I feel about her. She has always makes plans to see me and enjoys watching a movie and 'cuddle up'.... However, yesterday I asked her out thinking that she must like me if she had been speaking to me non-stop for 8 months, but she told me that its best we just remain friends....

Am I right to be annoyed with her? I got mugged off!

Scroll to see replies

you didnt get mugged, off, she has a right to have her own feelings too? maybe you just misinterpreted her actions towards you?
I think you should have made your intentions clear from the beginning. Eight months is far too long for everything to be up in the air. You should have laid out your cards and told her exactly what you were looking for.

That way you would have avoided being rejected. She should have told you the deal since you said she knew how you felt. If someone I didn't like offered me a valentines gift I would refuse it and tell them I only wanted to be friends. I personally don't snuggle up with my guy friends to watch movies, but maybe that is something she's used to doing.

You're annoyed I get that, make sure you approach things differently with the next girl to avoid being friendzoned.
Okay, she accepted a valentine's gift from you but are you sure that she was fully aware? And girls can actually want to be just friends with guys and just because she's being a friend, it doesn't mean that she's leading you on or you're entitled to more. Having said that though, letting you cuddle up with her is a bit lame and I can see how that'd be sending mixed signals.

It sucks, but you don't need to spend anymore time on it. Give yourself a break from the friendship, temporarily or even permanently and try your best to get over her. :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Justmoll28
you didnt get mugged, off, she has a right to have her own feelings too? maybe you just misinterpreted her actions towards you?

Yeh of course she has a right to her own feelings! But I just felt as though she has been stringing me along knowing fully it wasn't going anywhere when she knew where I wanted it to go
Original post by Anonymous
Yeh of course she has a right to her own feelings! But I just felt as though she has been stringing me along knowing fully it wasn't going anywhere when she knew where I wanted it to go

had you told her in the past your feelings to her or just that one time? she might have literally just thought you was being nice, idk how naive she is but yeah
Reply 6
Original post by phunky_fresh
I think you should have made your intentions clear from the beginning. Eight months is far too long for everything to be up in the air. You should have laid out your cards and told her exactly what you were looking for.

That way you would have avoided being rejected. She should have told you the deal since you said she knew how you felt. If someone I didn't like offered me a valentines gift I would refuse it and tell them I only wanted to be friends. I personally don't snuggle up with my guy friends to watch movies, but maybe that is something she's used to doing.

You're annoyed I get that, make sure you approach things differently with the next girl to avoid being friendzoned.

Thank you! I told her within 4 months or so how I felt (because of course I didn't want to say until I was sure), but she just told me to keep going (haha) as life was a bit busy to be in a relationship and what not... The signs, I felt, were there, but I guess I was wrong :/ Yeh, I have learnt my lesson for next time
Reply 7
had you told her in the past your feelings to her or just that one time? she might have literally just thought you was being nice, idk how naive she is but yeah

Of course I didn't keep telling her I liked her, but she would have had to be so silly to not know. I told her how beautiful she is and how she makes me feel all the time to be honest
She likes you or at least your company, but doesnt want a bf /gf relationship. Just move on and dont take so long next time.
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM
Okay, she accepted a valentine's gift from you but are you sure that she was fully aware? And girls can actually want to be just friends with guys and just because she's being a friend, it doesn't mean that she's leading you on or you're entitled to more. Having said that though, letting you cuddle up with her is a bit lame and I can see how that'd be sending mixed signals.

It sucks, but you don't need to spend anymore time on it. Give yourself a break from the friendship, temporarily or even permanently and try your best to get over her. :redface:

She 100% knows how I feel about her! I didn't want to sound in my post as though I felt I have obtained the 'right' to go out with her, because of course guys and girls can be friends - I accept that. However, knowing my attention and ringing me lots (although admittedly never flirty) does give across the wrong signal for me... I guess I just need to move on, thank you!
Of course I didn't keep telling her I liked her, but she would have had to be so silly to not know. I told her how beautiful she is and how she makes me feel all the time to be honest

like i said, she might have just thought you was being really friendly, you may have slipped into the friendzone haha
Original post by 999tigger
She likes you or at least your company, but doesnt want a bf /gf relationship. Just move on and dont take so long next time.

It only took this long because I wasn't able to spend that much time with her in person! But thank you!
like i said, she might have just thought you was being really friendly, you may have slipped into the friendzone haha

Perhaps, just a bit gutting to be honest haha
She 100% knows how I feel about her! I didn't want to sound in my post as though I felt I have obtained the 'right' to go out with her, because of course guys and girls can be friends - I accept that. However, knowing my attention and ringing me lots (although admittedly never flirty) does give across the wrong signal for me... I guess I just need to move on, thank you!

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that I thought you were feeling entitled to her, you don't give off that impression. To be honest you have been hard done by - I don't think you did anything wrong from what you've written, she should have done things differently.

Just keep swimming :h:
So, I've been speaking to this girl for 8 months now. We always talk on the phone and meet up and have a good time. She has known I like her for ages and happily accepted a valentines gift from me too. Although she has never done anything forward or flirty towards me, she has not discouraged my behaviour and has got my hopes up by continuing to speak to me and meet up with me fully aware of how I feel about her. She has always makes plans to see me and enjoys watching a movie and 'cuddle up'.... However, yesterday I asked her out thinking that she must like me if she had been speaking to me non-stop for 8 months, but she told me that its best we just remain friends....

Yes, but it happens. Just cut her off and seek a willing girl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps, just a bit gutting to be honest haha

theres more fish in the sea!
maybe she just wants to be friends.
you can feel a bit shite because you like her and the feeling isnt the same, but you shouldn't feel mugged off. it's not like youd been kissing, sending flirty messages or whatever.
Thank you! I told her within 4 months or so how I felt (because of course I didn't want to say until I was sure), but she just told me to keep going (haha) as life was a bit busy to be in a relationship and what not... The signs, I felt, were there, but I guess I was wrong :/ Yeh, I have learnt my lesson for next time

Keep going? Wtf does that mean? Maybe she was considering it and changed her mind somewhere along the line. Did you two ever do anything more than cuddle?
Fairly common scenario. Bit of a cuntette, but a lot of women do lack courage/straight talking.
Reply 19

the moral of the story is ...
8 months is too long ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending