Turn on thread page Beta

Do you find inheritance unfair? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    If you have an idea how this could make a reality, don't say nothing. When people are taken the air to breath away, we have made another step to inhumanity.
    I have an idea. Get a breathing monitor and then every month divide the amount of breaths by 1000, this is how much tax you are now paying for breathing. We'll invest it in reducing air pollution though!

ReputationRep:
    It isnt unfair you are just bitter and envious, no two ways about it.
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    I'd say it is unfair and ideally we wouldn't have the concept at all. I believe capitalism functions best when it rewards hard work and innovation as an inidividual, not happening to be born to the wealthy, and the indifference this causes them to feel about succeeding as individuals outweights the gains from the incentive of being able to pass it on to their children. It also fundamentally undermines the moral basis of the system - how do you convince people that their success is based on hard work or innovation when in reality their wealth or lack thereof is based on the lives their parents lived before they were even born? However, I accept that this would require a change in paradigm away from the idea of natural and necessary resources such as housing having traditional property rights altogether which is very unlikely to happen in the immidiate future.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by whorace)
    I have an idea. Get a breathing monitor and then every month divide the amount of breaths by 1000, this is how much tax you are now paying for breathing. We'll invest it in reducing air pollution though!
    Why 1000? your idea to invest it in reducing air pollution is nice, but is breathing not a fundamental right for everyone of us? is this ethical? if yes, should animals pay a tax for breathing too? even plants, although they inhale Carbon dioxide instead of oxygen?

ReputationRep:
    Why 1000? your idea to invest it in reducing air pollution is nice, but is breathing not a fundamental right for everyone of us? is this ethical? if yes, should animals pay a tax for breathing too? even plants, although they inhale Carbon dioxide instead of oxygen?
    Yes I think these are interesting considerations. Animals and plants must be registered with their owners and wear compulsory breathing monitors as well. Wild animals and plants will be known as public property, or we could possibly consider deporting them to countries with lower levels of air pollution. I think the only fundamental right is the right for me to make profit.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by whorace)
    Yes I think these are interesting considerations. Animals and plants must be registered with their owners and wear compulsory breathing monitors as well. Wild animals and plants will be known as public property, or we could possibly consider deporting them to countries with lower levels of air pollution. I think the only fundamental right is the right for me to make profit.
    Yeah, I know: do good things, but don't talk about them. Otherwise, true intentions come out. Hmmm...could it be that your plan in terms of cleaning air pollution has an ulterior motive? I mean the clearer the air, the better for breathing, the better for breathing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)
    It isnt unfair you are just bitter and envious, no two ways about it.
    Not really. I'm actually due to inherit central London property one day which will in all likelihood be worth a pretty penny. Doesn't stop me recognising that it isn't necessarily fair considering that I haven't done anything to earn that over my friends who's parents don't own property.

ReputationRep:
    i think it should be topped up by the state.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really too concerned about whether it's "fair" or not; the simple fact of the matter is that life isn't fair. It's not fair that children who are lucky enough to be born to rich parents live more lavish lifestyles than those who happen to be born to poorer parents. I don't see the idea of inheritance being very different.

What does concern me about some people getting very large inheritances is this: I think the whole purpose of wealth/income inequality is to incentivise productivity; that is, the harder you work, or the more valuable a service you provide to society, the more money you will get. Large inheritances seem to undermine that concept, because people are getting money without doing any work, and at some point may feel that working isn't even worth their while. This causes society to lose out on all that person's potential productivity.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Yes. But no more unfair than people being paid differing amounts for the same job at different companies or the difference in home life experienced by various individuals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Not really. I'm actually due to inherit central London property one day which will in all likelihood be worth a pretty penny. Doesn't stop me recognising that it isn't necessarily fair considering that I haven't done anything to earn that over my friends who's parents don't own property.
    Consider the heritage as a credit. It may help.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Yes. But no more unfair than people being paid differing amounts for the same job at different companies or the difference in home life experienced by various individuals.
    Do you talk about the gap between the incomes of men and women, right? yeah, indeed. That is more unfair than inheritance. See it like you: the same money for the same education, qualification, requirements and the same job. No matter whether men or women.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Do you talk about the gap between the incomes of men and women, right? yeah, indeed. That is more unfair than inheritance. See it like you: the same money for the same education, qualification, requirements and the same job. No matter whether men or women.
    No. Because I don't believe such a gap exists. I was referring to job A at Company X and Company Y.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    No. Because I don't believe such a gap exists. I was referring to job A at Company X and Company Y.
    Oh, I see. I don't know what my opinion to that is. If comany x and comany y are great companies in great cities, yeah, that stands to reason. But if those companies are different in terms of magnitude and place (a small company in a small city vs a great company in a great city), so this seem not so unfair. And by the way, everyone has the option to bargain.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.