Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could you live off £14 a week? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not really, you can't sustain a body on money as it carries very little nutrition, though I imagine as part of a balanced diet it could provide good substitute for roughage. If your intending to use the money as tokens for 'stuff' then that 14 quid is plenty. Is this a serious question?

ReputationRep:
    Potatoes and rice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Well I found what they said insulting too, I apologise if you found what I said insulting but I just find it ridiculous how all my low income friends seem to be having such a good time at uni, going out more than 3 times a week, buying brand new iPhones, breaking them and buying another new one in the same week, having takeaway food all the time etc.

Then I hear about my friends who don't receive much loan and they had to save up through work before, don't go out as much and try to live cheap.

I mean a little bit extra for those without money makes sense but they seem to get such a good deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So because someone insulted you it's okay to insult millions of people because you don't think they work hard on account of their bank balance?

I come from an extremely low income household. I assure you we don't all waste the extra money we get on iphones. I routinely have to actually support my mum and give her money from MY student loan because she often can't afford to both buy food and pay for the bills.

Please recognise that not everyone's situation is the same. And it's insulting and uneducated to have the attitude you do.

ReputationRep:

A lot of my friends apparently are in 'low income households' so they got an extra grant due to that so they go clubbing 3x a week, I don't think I could afford that.
    madness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    So because someone insulted you it's okay to insult millions of people because you don't think they work hard on account of their bank balance?

I come from an extremely low income household. I assure you we don't all waste the extra money we get on iphones. I routinely have to actually support my mum and give her money from MY student loan because she often can't afford to both buy food and pay for the bills.

Please recognise that not everyone's situation is the same. And it's insulting and uneducated to have the attitude you do.
    That's your situation but many seriously aren't going through that if apparently they are splashing out on clubbing and iPhones?

I see it all the time, wondering how people who "struggle" have brand new Jordans and fancy newest tech. And unnecessary things. I'm like isn't this a working class area?
    But you have a 500 pound hoverboard right now?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not being a victim, I am annoyed at how obnoxious you are. I blame the people who don't earn any money and take the biggest share of the government money, why should I blame someone who worked hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your parents have the income to support you... Some peoples parents don't. But your parents didn't invest or plan their finances hence why you are in this situation.
    Maybe you should ask your parents to take out a loan to cover the short fall or get a job yourself.

I don't know why you can't get this through your skull but the government doesn't owe you anything... You're not even from the uk.

And before you go on about how your parents pay their taxes, well those low wage families have mainly been in the uk for generations and have paid their dues.

Be glad we even let you into our country and allow you to have a loan even if it's not the full amount that you feel you are entitled to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    14?!?!?!?!?!?!

i make 6 last me three weeks, get used to it haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somesomebody)
    That's your situation but many seriously aren't going through that if apparently they are splashing out on clubbing and iPhones?
    That wasn't the point I was making.

I was very clear in what my point was. That not everyone's situation is the same and it's insulting to suggest because someone has a low income they don't work hard.

Sure be angry that some people do that, and sure be angry that the system isn;t fair. But don't insult millions of people because of a snobbish attitude that only hard workers earn lots of money.

ReputationRep:

I was very clear in what my point was. That not everyone's situation is the same and it's insulting to suggest because someone has a low income they don't work hard.

Sure be angry that some people do that, and sure be angry that the system isn;t fair. But don't insult millions of people because of a snobbish attitude that only hard workers earn lots of money.
    I also have to support my family with my loan so actually it is common.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OP don't be envious of other peoples' materials, granted they have these things without earning them.

But just remember they might regret spending their money in a quick flash to go clubbing and not to save it and invest

or might not have their priorities straight

so just keep saving and spend your money wisely.
    As far as the 14/wk, all you really need to spend money on is food and your Uni supplies.
    So assuming you've got your supplies already

the 14/wk is safe. Get you a bag of rice, a bag of potatoes (that's not even a tenner yet), and a packet of meat.

Boom.

**Dinasaurus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccountingBabe)
    I also have to support my family with my loan so actually it is common.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, it's more common than people think because they'd rather only pay attention to the people that make them angry. They don't think about the other end of the spectrum, and they often don't see it because there is a great deal of shame around it.

ReputationRep:
    No way

ReputationRep:

Right. I understood your point. Don't insinuate I have comprehension issues. I simply don't see OP was doing that. He's more so scratching his head rightfully so because people who don't earn money, get more aid, and then according to his personal experiences, spend the money they get on trash. Have you not seen this? I don't recall him saying anything insulting. I do see that he's envious of foolish spending habits though. I didn't see him undermining, intentionally anyway, those who have proper spending habits while struggling financially...

ReputationRep:
    Also Dinasaurus they depend on their folks so they have extra cash to spend. That's democracy, take it. It's better than not giving people money. Just ignore their piss poor budgeting and worry about yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somesomebody)
    Right. I understood your point. Don't insinuate I have comprehension issues. I simply don't see OP was doing that. He's more so scratching his head rightfully so because people who don't earn money, get more aid, and then according to his personal experiences, spend the money they get on trash. Have you not seen this? I don't recall him saying anything insulting. I do see that he's envious of foolish spending habits though. I didn't see him undermining, intentionally anyway, those who have proper spending habits while struggling financially...
    Yes he said in one of this posts "I'm not angry at the people who work hard and have more money" or something along those lines. He was very clear in his line of thinking.

you also have to take into account, a lot of these students are being complete morons and are buying these things on finance, overdrafts and student credit cards. Just because they're doing all this stuff and buying all this stuff doesn't necessarily mean they can afford it.Fact is unless you have access to their bank accounts and all financial details, you don't know for a fact that they can afford these things on their loans. I know of many students who have racked up a lot of debt because of stupid decisions and spending habits.

ReputationRep:
    What you gonna live on pot noodles?

ReputationRep:
    Yes he said in one of this posts "I'm not angry at the people who work hard and have more money" or something along those lines. He was very clear in his line of thinking.

you also have to take into account, a lot of these students are being complete morons and are buying these things on finance, overdrafts and student credit cards. Just because they're doing all this stuff and buying all this stuff doesn't necessarily mean they can afford it.Fact is unless you have access to their bank accounts and all financial details, you don't know for a fact that they can afford these things on their loans. I know of many students who have racked up a lot of debt because of stupid decisions and spending habits.
    Yea I stated that in a different post on this page.

That doesn't take away from the irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    What you gonna live on pot noodles?
    Better than starving :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    If OP perseveres, he might bump into his mates later in life and they'll say, "damn...I have all this debt from student loans and partying it up at Uni." And OP will be like, "Not me. I saved and ate rice every week."
    :yy: lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccountingBabe)
    Your parents have the income to support you... Some peoples parents don't. But your parents didn't invest or plan their finances hence why you are in this situation.
    Maybe you should ask your parents to take out a loan to cover the short fall or get a job yourself.

I don't know why you can't get this through your skull but the government doesn't owe you anything... You're not even from the uk.

And before you go on about how your parents pay their taxes, well those low wage families have mainly been in the uk for generations and have paid their dues.

Be glad we even let you into our country and allow you to have a loan even if it's not the full amount that you feel you are entitled to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you want to talk about generational taxes than I could just refer to my grandparents and the fact that my country was a UK colony so they took from that, my grand mother is ethnically British and her parents are from here and I am pretty sure they 'historically' put in more tax than a lot of low income families if you want to play by that game you nonce.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.